AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

Post by William G. Gruesbec » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hey everyone,
I have a quick question. I have an AMD K5 166 system. When I compile my
new kernel, should I compile it as a pentium or i386 kernel? I have
heard that the pentium compile is in some way incompatible with AMD's
chips because of the RISC core of the chip. Thanx in advance.
William G. Gruesbeck Jr.

AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

Post by jfo.. » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hey everyone,
>I have a quick question. I have an AMD K5 166 system. When I compile my
>new kernel, should I compile it as a pentium or i386 kernel? I have
>heard that the pentium compile is in some way incompatible with AMD's
>chips because of the RISC core of the chip. Thanx in advance.
>William G. Gruesbeck Jr.

I have a K5 166 also and compile as a Pentium. No problems.

AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

Post by Bill Fahrenkru » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have an AMD K5 166 and was getting segmetation faults when I treid to
compile the kernel and other programs, diald for example.  Once I changed
the CPU tyoe to 386 things started working.

>Hey everyone,
>I have a quick question. I have an AMD K5 166 system. When I compile my
>new kernel, should I compile it as a pentium or i386 kernel? I have
>heard that the pentium compile is in some way incompatible with AMD's
>chips because of the RISC core of the chip. Thanx in advance.
>William G. Gruesbeck Jr.

AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

Post by Keith Rohr » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have an AMD K5 166 and was getting segmetation faults when I treid to
> compile the kernel and other programs, diald for example.  Once I changed
> the CPU tyoe to 386 things started working.

>>Hey everyone,
>>I have a quick question. I have an AMD K5 166 system. When I compile my
>>new kernel, should I compile it as a pentium or i386 kernel? I have
>>heard that the pentium compile is in some way incompatible with AMD's
>>chips because of the RISC core of the chip. Thanx in advance.
>>William G. Gruesbeck Jr.

I've got a K5-PR133, and compiling the kernel as "Pentium" or "PPro"
makes no reliability difference.

        Keith (2.1 series, anyway)

--
I'm the evil in your *stream, / I'm the rash upon your skin,
And you made a big mistake all right / The day you let me in.

AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

Post by Lev Babie » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hey everyone,
>I have a quick question. I have an AMD K5 166 system. When I compile my
>new kernel, should I compile it as a pentium or i386 kernel? I have
>heard that the pentium compile is in some way incompatible with AMD's
>chips because of the RISC core of the chip. Thanx in advance.
>William G. Gruesbeck Jr.

I have K5-100, and when I compiled kernel for Pentium or Ppro I go some
really * problems. Netscape would spawn zombie tasks (netstat) and I
couldn't even recompile kernel - GCC dumped core. Once I recompiled the
kernel for 386 everything works fine. Tried this with 2.0.30 and 2.0.32

    - Lev

AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

Post by Shawn De Cesar » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > I have an AMD K5 166 and was getting segmetation faults when I treid to
> > compile the kernel and other programs, diald for example.  Once I changed
> > the CPU tyoe to 386 things started working.

> >>Hey everyone,
> >>I have a quick question. I have an AMD K5 166 system. When I compile my
> >>new kernel, should I compile it as a pentium or i386 kernel? I have
> >>heard that the pentium compile is in some way incompatible with AMD's
> >>chips because of the RISC core of the chip. Thanx in advance.
> >>William G. Gruesbeck Jr.

> I've got a K5-PR133, and compiling the kernel as "Pentium" or "PPro"
> makes no reliability difference.

>         Keith (2.1 series, anyway)

> --
> I'm the evil in your *stream, / I'm the rash upon your skin,
> And you made a big mistake all right / The day you let me in.
> You can fly to the other side of the world, / You know you'll only find
> I've reserved the seat behind you. / We can talk about old times...
> ---Marillion, "Uninvited Guest" (_Season's End_)

  I have a K5-PR133 and the only problem I have is Netscape.  If I compile my
kernel for Pentium of PPro, then Netscape won't run, however, if I use 386, it
works fine.  If I use Pentium or PPro, Netscape just turns into a zombie
process and does nothing.  However, that may be because 2.0 kernels don't
exactly have support for the 430VX chipset, which I have on my motherboard,
because Netscape works fine on a 2.1 kernel (with 430VX support) on my system.

Shawn

AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

Post by Riley William » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi Keith.

 >>> I have a quick question. I have an AMD K5 166 system. When I
 >>> compile my new kernel, should I compile it as a pentium or i386
 >>> kernel? I have heard that the pentium compile is in some way
 >>> incompatible with AMD's chips because of the RISC core of the chip.

 >> I have an AMD K5 166 and was getting segmetation faults when I treid
 >> to compile the kernel and other programs, diald for example.  Once I
 >> changed the CPU tyoe to 386 things started working.

 > I've got a K5-PR133, and compiling the kernel as "Pentium" or "PPro"
 > makes no reliability difference with the 2.1 series kernels.

A good friend of mine has an AMD K5/166 and has been running the Linux
2.0 series kernels on it since he got it, when 2.0.27 was current. Up
until the 2.0.32 kernel inclusive, he had to select the 386 processor to
get the kernel to compile or run, but with the new 2.0.33 kernel, that
problem is fixed and he now has it set for Pentium processor mode...

Best wishes from Riley.

1. Linux on AMD K5-166/Routing etc.etc.

I am thinking about buying a whole seperate system to use for Linux...

I was wondering if anyone runs ONLY LINUX on an AMD K5-166. Have you
had any processor-related problems whatsoever? I will be running
XFree86.

And tell me if I can do this:

I would also like to connect to my ISP with the Linux box and be able
to access it (through ethernet) from my NT machine. Does linux have
routing capabilities built in?
 If so, is it a bitch to set up?  And would my NT box be inaccessable
from the outside world (assuming it would get a local IP) ???

What would be the best distribution for these purposes?

thanks in advance! I would really like a scenario like this, but don't
want to start thinking too much about hardware until I know it's gonna
work.

David Wallace

2. Content Management for Linux!

3. --[ NT RAS and linux ]--

4. AMD K5-166 and Linux

5. Cut and Paste in vi (in an xterm)

6. redhat 6.0 on amd k5 166

7. Firewall in transparent mode

8. AMD K5-PR100 unable to compile kernel.

9. K5-166 Processor underLinux? Good choice or not?

10. AMD-K6-166 Processor

11. Good for Linux? Gigabyte GA586 HX and AMD K5-166