prob w Netscape 2.1 and Red Hat Linux 2.1 (kernel 1.2.13)

prob w Netscape 2.1 and Red Hat Linux 2.1 (kernel 1.2.13)

Post by Peter Har » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

After having downloaded Navigator 2.1 for Linux from the netscape server,
I can run netscape but when I do commands in other windows I get messages like

% ls
ls: can't map '/dev/zero'
ls: can't map '/dev/zero'
ls: can't load library 'libc.so.5'

Anyone seen this before?

Post by Kit Cosp » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>After having downloaded Navigator 2.1 for Linux from the netscape server,
>I can run netscape but when I do commands in other windows I get messages like

>% ls
>ls: can't map '/dev/zero'
>ls: can't map '/dev/zero'
>ls: can't load library 'libc.so.5'

Here's the fix (I've seen it a few hundred times..... :-)

The updated rpm you need can be found at ftp.redhat.com/pub/old-releases/
redhat-2.1/i386/updates/RPMS/

Kit

-----
There are two potential problems with Netscape under
Red Hat.  'missing' libraries and complaints about /dev/zero.

Netscape is a.out in nature, so you have to install the a.out
compatibility rpm for it to run at all.

The /dev/zero mapping problem is fairly common with the newer
versions of Netscape running under Linux.  Make sure you are
using the latest version of Netscape ( 2.0 or later).
You also need to upgrade ld.so to at least version 11.
(versions prior to 11 may work, but we know 11 does.)

-----

--

*Braves tickets available; field level, face value, email for details!*

prob w Netscape 2.1 and Red Hat Linux 2.1 (kernel 1.2.13)

Post by Peter Har » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Thanks for the pointer - I have installed the ld package and now the first
two problems are all fixed, but I am still getting those pesky DNS errors,
which, according to the discussion on the Red Hat mailing lists available
via the Red Hat web page, have to do with a timeout on the Netscape
side - this only appears on slow PPP connections like mine (this message
is appended).

So, is there an RPM to replace /lib/libc.so.5.0.9 (which is what came with
RHL 2.1) or do we need to set up a local nameserver to cache DNS lookup
info?

Post by Erik Tro » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>So, is there an RPM to replace /lib/libc.so.5.0.9 (which is what came with
>RHL 2.1) or do we need to set up a local nameserver to cache DNS lookup
>info?

Yes, but you have to be real carefull installing it.

The easiest way is to get the libc-5.2.18 RPM from Red Hat 3.0.3, and
install it with "--force". *Don't* upgrade.

You'll need RPM 2.0 for this though. See:

        http://www.redhat.com/redhat/products/rpm

for how to get that.

If you want to do this cleanly, you should do a full upgrade to 3.0.3. The
libc folks split a bunch of the libraries out of the libc distribution and
decided some other libraries were obsolete. The upgrade process handles this,
doing it by hand doesn't (I broken my laptop by doing this by hand :-( ).

Erik

   Always hoped that I'd be an apostle. Knew that I would make it if I tried.
     Then when we retire we can write the gospels so they'll all talk about
         us when we die. - "The Last Supper" from Jesus Christ Superstar

1. prob w insmod + drv_hello.o (Red Hat 2.1, kernel 1.2.13)

I built the modules-1.2.8.tar source which comes on the Red Hat tsx11 disk, and
tried to test it by running, in /usr/src/linux/modules/insmod,

  ./insmod drv_hello.o

and got

  printk undefined
  register_chrdev undefined
  unregister_chrdev undefined
  Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.2.13 don't match 1.2.13

I got the same error message from /sbin/insmod.  Looking at the code,
these messages are printed because the symbols for these interfaces in
the drv_hello.o file are 'undefined' per the is_undef() macro defined
in insmod.c.

These are, according to 'ksyms -a', exported interfaces of the running kernel
installed in Red Hat 2.1 (kernel version 1.2.13).  Both the drv_hello.o and
/vmlinuz are elf images and the module is unversioned. - Any idea what is wrong
here?  - I need this in order to install tape support (ftape).

2. Attaching a loopback device to a file on an smbmounted filesystem

3. Red Hat 2.1 Install Problem (1.2.13 kernel)

4. Apache virtual host setup problem

5. red hat 2.1 (pht version) and 1.2.13 kernel

6. Transfering files from Mac

7. Linux Redhat 2.1 kernel 1.2.13

8. Enigma install question

9. svgalib-1.2.10, Trio64, sdoom, Red Hat 3.0.3, 1.2.13

10. How configure Linux 1.2.13, BSDI 2.1, and Windows NT on the same PC?

11. PCI 2.1 supported in Linux 1.2.13?

12. Sendmail and Procmail on 1.2.13 RedHat 2.1

13. Red Hat Picasso Linux (Kernel 1.2.13) - Want to make a.out in GCC