Hardware question- Do dual x86, non-intel systems exist?

Hardware question- Do dual x86, non-intel systems exist?

Post by Ed Gatzk » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have been thinking about getting a new PC.  I might even spring for a dual
proc machine.

The problem is, dual intel systems are pretty spendy (~ an extra $800).  Is
there an alternative?  I probably want to stick with a 100 MHz bus-

Along the same line, how do other chips measure up?  AMD's K6-233?

I have seen a few vendors with dual P-IIs, but no other chips  (ASL-labs)

Or should I save my bucks and upgrade everything else- grab a 450 and overclock,
more mem, faster HD, better video?

Obviously, I'll be running Linux, but I may also have a small game partition.  I
do some hearty mathematical simulations, but not much graphics/ multimedia
except for Quake2.  I keep hearing the new kernels should have better SMP
support, too.

Ed

--
Ed Gatzke                   http://udel.edu/~gatzke
Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware

Post by Ben Russ » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I have been thinking about getting a new PC.  I might even spring for a dual
> proc machine.

If you got money to burn, then go for it, but I *personally* (opinion)
would recommend that you spend the money on a really nice monitor,
and some peripherals like a SCSI controller,
and CDROM writter, scanner, printer, and such.  Also, a good graphics
card makes a difference if you are doing Graphics stuff or 3D action games.
But you have to make sure that the games/CAD apps and video drivers you
have at hand will support the accelleration that the card you want may offer.

Quote:

> The problem is, dual intel systems are pretty spendy (~ an extra $800).  Is
> there an alternative?  I probably want to stick with a 100 MHz bus-

Although I think their prices are a little high, you can get a good picture
of the range of hardware that is available at:

http://www.apache.com/pages/pinfo.phtml

Quote:

> Along the same line, how do other chips measure up?  AMD's K6-233?

Seems like it shouldn't be, but it is a religious topic.
My opinion is that it depends on what you want to do.
If you do lots of 3D Graphics work, or play with lots of 3D action
games in High Res, then you will definitely want a CPU that has good
MMX support.  If you aren't doing those two things, then just buy whatever
is the best combination between CHEAP and fast (in that order).

From what I've read the K6-2's with 3D-NOW!
and the PII's are the only high end chips that do.
The K6-2's are just a tad lower in performance than the PII's for
the same MHz ratings, but can be bought for a good deal less.

Quote:

> I have seen a few vendors with dual P-IIs, but no other chips  (ASL-labs)

> Or should I save my bucks and upgrade everything else- grab a 450 and overclock,
> more mem, faster HD, better video?

Don't bother overclocking unless you have money to burn.
Don't bother buying the BIGGEST BAD-ASS system unless you have
money to burn.

Again, you'd be better off getting a 300 MHz (or whatever MHz will go on a 100MHz
bus)
chip for a lot less money and spending the savings on a 21" flat CRT, and
peripherals.

Quote:

Post by Phil Brutsch » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I have been thinking about getting a new PC.  I might even spring for a dual
> proc machine.

> The problem is, dual intel systems are pretty spendy (~ an extra $800).  Is
> there an alternative?  I probably want to stick with a 100 MHz bus-

You'll have to go with Intel chips if you want to do SMP.  AMDs and
Cyrixs
can do SMP, but their method of APIC is incompatible with that used in
Intel
chips.  That and I have yet to find a SMP motherboard that takes
AMD/Cyrix cpus.
Quote:

[snip]

> Or should I save my bucks and upgrade everything else- grab a 450 and overclock,
> more mem, faster HD, better video?

I didn't think you could go faster than 450 without overclocking.  Has
that changed recently (ie new set of chips released)?

Personally, I would sacrifice a little on the CPU (350, maybe 333 MHz
on the cpu) and splurge on other stuff (more RAM, SCSI rather than IDE,
more video memory, bigger monitor, or all of the above :-)

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One.  We've handled the Borg.  We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam!  Visit http://www.cauce.org