Permission Woes - can't add write permission

Permission Woes - can't add write permission

Post by Duncan Camero » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am trying to have Netscape use the Mail folder on one of my DOS
partitions, so as to keep all the mail in one place. This works fine for
root, but as a user Netscape can't do this because the user lacks write
permission for the file. Not surprising so far, but no matter what I
try, I can't add write permission for this set of files for "anyone" but
the owner, root. I have fooled around with groups and alternate users,
tried the graphical permission, console 'chmod', but nothing ever
changes. I never get any errors, just no result. I found a place to
change root's ability to make changes from 700 and put 777 just to see,
but even then, nothing. How can it be that root can write to these
files, but cannot bestow permission on "anyone" else?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I am trying to have Netscape use the Mail folder on one of my DOS
>partitions, so as to keep all the mail in one place. This works fine for
>root, but as a user Netscape can't do this because the user lacks write
>permission for the file. Not surprising so far, but no matter what I
>try, I can't add write permission for this set of files for "anyone" but
>the owner, root. I have fooled around with groups and alternate users,
>tried the graphical permission, console 'chmod', but nothing ever
>changes. I never get any errors, just no result. I found a place to
>change root's ability to make changes from 700 and put 777 just to see,
>but even then, nothing. How can it be that root can write to these
>files, but cannot bestow permission on "anyone" else?

Because the DOS FAT filesystem lacks the concept of permissions.
Therefore, all files on a DOS partition will be owned by the same user
and have the same permissions, these attributes are set at mount time,
and there's no way to change them with chmod/chown/chattr.

This is almost a FAQ; there are many many posts dealing with this.  One
solution is to mount the DOS partition with "umask=000", this will leave
all files on the DOS partition wide-open for anyone to read/write.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
-----------------------------/           --Henry Spencer

Post by spaml.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am trying to have Netscape use the Mail folder on one of my DOS
> partitions, so as to keep all the mail in one place. This works fine for
> root, but as a user Netscape can't do this because the user lacks write
> permission for the file.

A DOS partition is not an ext2 partition. The file system does
have/store/allow permissions (now, if it were UMSDOS...).

What is the entry in fstab for that partition? Does it allow "user" (of
course, this means the users can write to that partition using any
software)?

setuid? Having your users run Netscape *as* root? That is not a good idea
either.

Permission Woes - can't add write permission

Post by Duncan Camero » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks to both of you. I have added "umask=000" and that works. Think I
will, for the time being,  set "noauto" then presumably get prompted to
mount it to get the mail, instead of leaving the barn door wide open all
the time! Will investigate UMSDOS, as this is sort of a kludgy solution
on my part.
While I'm at it (I will make a separate post, but it's worth mentioning
in this context): Netscape is having trouble sending mail, giving me two
different but similar messages about being unable to open a temporary
file. This has happened before, then 'gone away' (go figure!) The major
changes I can think of are setting up a mouse wheel script in .Xdefaults
and installing the Helix version of Gnome. Interesting variations on
this are that: 1)this applies to my main 'user' and to root, but not to
a 'bare' or 'default' user configuration I use for testing, and ; 2) my
disk cache won't clear either. Seems like Netscape is not getting in to
the cache?

Quote:> I am trying to have Netscape use the Mail folder on one of my DOS
> partitions, so as to keep all the mail in one place. This works fine
for
> root, but as a user Netscape can't do this because the user lacks
write
> permission for the file. Not surprising so far, but no matter what I
> try, I can't add write permission for this set of files for "anyone"
but
> the owner, root. I have fooled around with groups and alternate users,
> tried the graphical permission, console 'chmod', but nothing ever
> changes. I never get any errors, just no result. I found a place to
> change root's ability to make changes from 700 and put 777 just to
see,
> but even then, nothing. How can it be that root can write to these
> files, but cannot bestow permission on "anyone" else?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Can other than root have write permission on mounted DOS part'n?

The subject pretty much says it.  I want a user other than root to have
write permission for files on a mounted DOS partition.  Is there a way
to do this?

Email responses preferred.

Thanks,

-Ron Ohst

University of California, San Diego
Cognitive Science Department

University of California, San Diego     Department of Cognitive Science

2. Help needed with ifconfig alias

3. Need Help Users Can't Write to Disk Not a permissions problem.

4. Automatic kicker for PPP users

5. what changed my /tmp's write permissions?

6. SDB

7. Help needed: Which 4MB PCI Card to buy?

8. Can i rename a file i don't own, but have write permissions to?

9. Adding permissions to dev's

10. can't "write" to other users: permission denied

11. `Write' and tty permissions?

12. Write to a file with no write permission