HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by Jack Stee » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have recently upgraded to RedHat Linux 6.0 with the pre-compiled
kernel on both my laptop and a newly constructed Pentium II desktop at
home. The desktop machine has a Hewlett-Packard CD-RW 7200 Plus drive.
The SW recognizes it as a CD drive, but of course I would like to be
able to use the CD-R and perhaps the CD-RW capabilities under Linux. I
have conducted a moderate search of the web, but have not come across
anything saying that someone had done this. Does anyone know of a
reference to HP CD-RW support under Linux?

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by Younger » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

You did not mention if your HP CD-RW 7200+ drive is an IDE or SCSI drive.
However, I assumed it is an IDE CD-RW.  Having declared that, the next thing
to do is to determine if this HP CD-RW drive is supported under Linux.  To
do so, you need either do the following:

1. Install the HOWTO doc that comes with the RedHat-6.0 and start reading
the "CD Writing HOWTO".

2. If item #1 is not preferable, you can read the "CD Writing HOWTO" off the
Internet using your web browser.  One best site that carries wuch HOWTO is
http://metalab.unc.edu/Linux/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html.

The "CD Writing HOWTO" should be able to point out where you can download a
set of software packages that works for your Linux and your CD-RW drive.

--

Quote:> I have recently upgraded to RedHat Linux 6.0 with the pre-compiled

Post by David T. Bla » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone know of a
> reference to HP CD-RW support under Linux?

If cdrecord does not support it, it is unsupported.

However, the maintainers of cdrecord are completely insane
when it comes to supporting everything they can get specs
for. To their credit.

See
http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq.html

and

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/nthp/employees/schilling/cdrecord.html
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/\
joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord/hp.html

--
Dave Blake

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by jik » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I have recently upgraded to RedHat Linux 6.0 with the pre-compiled
> kernel on both my laptop and a newly constructed Pentium II desktop at
> home. The desktop machine has a Hewlett-Packard CD-RW 7200 Plus drive.
> The SW recognizes it as a CD drive, but of course I would like to be
> able to use the CD-R and perhaps the CD-RW capabilities under Linux. I
> have conducted a moderate search of the web, but have not come across
> anything saying that someone had done this. Does anyone know of a
> reference to HP CD-RW support under Linux?

I have that drive.  It is well supported in Linux, read the howto and
set up an ide-scsi module.

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>> Does anyone know of a
>> reference to HP CD-RW support under Linux?

>If cdrecord does not support it, it is unsupported.

>However, the maintainers of cdrecord are completely insane
>when it comes to supporting everything they can get specs
>for. To their credit.

Why insane?  If I get specs, the drive is usualy supported some time later.

Quote:>See
>http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq.html

>and

>http://www.fokus.gmd.de/nthp/employees/schilling/cdrecord.html
>http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/\
>joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord/hp.html

The second web link oints only to areported Inquiry data
and an entry in the inquiry data base does not necessarily
mean that a drive is supported.

--

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by coffe » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I have recently upgraded to RedHat Linux 6.0 with the pre-compiled
> kernel on both my laptop and a newly constructed Pentium II desktop at
> home. The desktop machine has a Hewlett-Packard CD-RW 7200 Plus drive.
> The SW recognizes it as a CD drive, but of course I would like to be
> able to use the CD-R and perhaps the CD-RW capabilities under Linux. I
> have conducted a moderate search of the web, but have not come across
> anything saying that someone had done this. Does anyone know of a
> reference to HP CD-RW support under Linux?

I had a HP cdrw and worked fine. But I think I know what your problem
is.

If the drive is IDE then you have to go in and recompile your kernel and
turn off atapi drive and turn on scsi emulation.

Of course, If its a scsi drive and linux doesnt recognize it I would be
more inclined to check the cabling and stuff on the drive.

--
                coffee at indy dot net * ICQ 1614986
                        Kokomo, Indiana, USA

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by jik » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > I have recently upgraded to RedHat Linux 6.0 with the pre-compiled
> > kernel on both my laptop and a newly constructed Pentium II desktop at
> > home. The desktop machine has a Hewlett-Packard CD-RW 7200 Plus drive.
> > The SW recognizes it as a CD drive, but of course I would like to be
> > able to use the CD-R and perhaps the CD-RW capabilities under Linux. I
> > have conducted a moderate search of the web, but have not come across
> > anything saying that someone had done this. Does anyone know of a
> > reference to HP CD-RW support under Linux?

> I had a HP cdrw and worked fine. But I think I know what your problem
> is.

> If the drive is IDE then you have to go in and recompile your kernel and
> turn off atapi drive and turn on scsi emulation.

No, the ide-scsi and IDE stuff work fine together now.  Just use LILO to boot and pass the hdx=ide-scsi and that drive will be a scsi from then on.

Quote:

> Of course, If its a scsi drive and linux doesnt recognize it I would be
> more inclined to check the cabling and stuff on the drive.

> --
>            coffee at indy dot net * ICQ 1614986
>                    Kokomo, Indiana, USA

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by Stephen Lee - Post replies pleas » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>>> Does anyone know of a
>>> reference to HP CD-RW support under Linux?

>>If cdrecord does not support it, it is unsupported.

>>However, the maintainers of cdrecord are completely insane
>>when it comes to supporting everything they can get specs
>>for. To their credit.

>Why insane?  If I get specs, the drive is usualy supported some time later.

He is giving you a credit that you spend a lot of time supporting
everything you can, which is such a difficult task that a sane person
would not attempt (and given all the buggy hardware out there, I'd agree).

Stephen

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by mark.. » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> No, the ide-scsi and IDE stuff work fine together now.  Just use LILO

to boot and pass the hdx=ide-scsi and that drive will be a scsi from
then on.

Yes, but HOW, do you pass the "hdx=ide-scsi" to Lilo?
I put the line in the lilo.conf, but whenever I try to run lilo
I get a Syntax error near line 12 in file /etc/lilo.conf
my lilo.conf with LILO version 21
----------------
boot=/dev/hda1
delay=15
vga=normal
ramdisk=0
verbose=5
image=/boot/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hda1
label=Linux
other=/dev/hda2
table=/dev/hda
label=Win95
hdc=ide-scsi

I thank you...VERY MUCH...in advance if you could provide the answer
to this question.

mark Covington

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by Richard Scobi » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > No, the ide-scsi and IDE stuff work fine together now.  Just use LILO
> to boot and pass the hdx=ide-scsi and that drive will be a scsi from
> then on.

> Yes, but HOW, do you pass the "hdx=ide-scsi" to Lilo?
> I put the line in the lilo.conf, but whenever I try to run lilo
> I get a Syntax error near line 12 in file /etc/lilo.conf
> my lilo.conf with LILO version 21

> I thank you...VERY MUCH...in advance if you could provide the answer
> to this question.

> mark Covington

Hi Mark,

Possibly the line;

appenrd = "hdc=ide-scsi"

in your lilo.conf, may help.

Regards,

Richard Scobie

HP CD-RW Supported by RH 6.0?

Post by Keith Wrigh » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > Yes, but HOW, do you pass the "hdx=ide-scsi" to Lilo?
> > I put the line in the lilo.conf, but whenever I try to run lilo
> > I get a Syntax error near line 12 in file /etc/lilo.conf

> Hi Mark,

> Possibly the line;

> appenrd = "hdc=ide-scsi"

> in your lilo.conf, may help.

But it might be even better to spell "append" correctly.
The real solution to this and similar problems is 'man lilo.conf'.

--

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---

1. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

I am presently unable to read CD-RWs or CD-Rs that are
not closed. I want to use both as lightweight backups.

I would prefer not to have to build a kernel. Reading
relevant posts has left me confused. (I am presently
assuming that the issue is UDF.)

Do you know if what I am trying to do is impossible, or
can you suggest pointers to continue investigation?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

PS.

The following may be germane, but I don't want to
distract from my question :-)

I use DirectCD on w95/98 to write the CD-RW and CD-Rs.
(I am assuming that I can use cdwriter to write, but so
far have only verified that I can use -eject and -load
to open and shut the drive tray :-))

I can read CR-ROMs and closed CD-Rs. This took me a while,
using the following magic:
    modprobe parport
    modprobe paride
    modprobe epat
    modprobe pcd
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
If I try to mount a CD-R or CD-RW, I get the following barf:
    mount: block device /dev/pcd0 is write-protected,
        mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
       /dev/pcd0, or too many mounted file systems

The issue would appear to be UDF. I downloaded udf-0.8.8
from http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html (this
seems to me to not require a kernel patch). I built this,
installed, did the modprobe udf, but when I did
    mount -t udf /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
with any CD in the drive (CD-{ROM,RW,R}), the CD-Writer
gurgled briefly and then my machine hung. I waited for
5 mins. but it still remained unresponsive. I rebooted
and repeated many times.

I read the FAQ in the udf-0.8.9.1 download (from
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html), and
was confused by the following:
    2.3) Can I read DirectCD (or other packet-writing
         software) discs with this driver?
    Yes, you should be able to.
but later the FAQ writes:
    3.2) How come some discs can be read in DirectCD,
         but not with this driver?
    Usually, these are discs that DirectCD (or other
    packet-writing software) has not 'closed', ie,
    finished writing the UDF volume information. Some
    of these discs will cause the kernel to crash in the
    lower-level driver, even if the UDF driver isn't
    loaded. More work needs to be done to understand this
    problem.

So it would appear that I can't read CD-RWs or open CD-Rs
for the moment?

2. sudo questions

3. ?? HP 7510e Parallel CD RW and RH 6.0 ??

4. weird network problem with slackware

5. CD-RW support specifically with NEC NR 7700A CD-RW drive

6. .cshrc or .login

7. IDE CD-RW (HP 9310i) workd with RH 6.2

8. novice coding in /linux/net/ipv4/util.c From: DJ Barrow <dj.barrow@asitatech.com>

9. HP 9200i CD-RW supported?

10. HP Surestore CD-RW support under RedHat 5.0

11. Does Linux support HP 7200e CD-RW?

12. CD-R/CD-RW (HP CD-Writer+ 7570i)

13. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)