How do I install everything without running everything?

How do I install everything without running everything?

Post by <k.. » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:43:13

Quote:> In DOS I can edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT so that most programs
> just sit on the disk instead of running and using CPU cycles.  In NT
> I can do the same by editing the registry and turning off services
> from the control panel.  How do I do the same in Linux, (preferably
> through one of the KDE menus)?  I have tons of hard disk space and
> I want to be able to run any available RH 7.2 program without asking
> myself whether I installed it on my hard disk.

Look in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory for a list of all the files that
may run during bootup. Use the chkconfig utility to list the runlevels
at which these programs run. E.g.

  chkconfig --list

This shows the state of all the startup scripts. To see which ones are
currently turned on:

  chkconfig --list|grep :on

You'll get output similar to the following:

lpd             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
lvs             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
nfs             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
usb             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
xfs             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
alsa            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

To disable a service from starting at boot (in this case, usb):

  chkconfig --level 2345 usb off

To disable it immediately

  service usb off

Post by Bit Twiste » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 00:00:19

> I have a Compaq 4100 486-100MHz with 100MB of RAM, 16GB HD (primary
> master, and a 56x CD-ROM (primary slave).  I am installing Redhat 7.2
> that I got from cheapbytes.com.  I like the KDE desktop, so I am using
> that instead of Gnome.

> If I install it as a workstation, it runs fairly fast.  If I use the
> install everything option. it runs like a herd of turtles.  Clearly it
> is running some or all of the extra programs on bootup.

> In DOS I can edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT so that most programs just
> sit on the disk instead of running and using CPU cycles.  In NT I can do
> the same by editing the registry and turning off services from the
> control panel.  How do I do the same in Linux, (preferably through one
> of the KDE menus)?  I have tons of hard disk space and I want to be able
> to run any available RH 7.2 program without asking myself whether I
> installed it on my hard disk.

Click the control center icon and services and disable whatever
you do not want running.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

Post by Markku Kolkk » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 04:18:08

> In DOS I can edit CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT so that most programs
> just sit on the disk instead of running and using CPU cycles.  In NT
> I can do the same by editing the registry and turning off services
> from the control panel.  How do I do the same in Linux, (preferably
> through one of the KDE menus)?

Use ksysv. The menu entry is System->SysV Init setup.

--
        Markku Kolkka

1. How do I install everything without running everything?

Well, whatever floats your boat...

What you ought to do is to go to your local linuxdoc mirror (Hint: for USA,
you might try http://www.linuxdoc.org to begin with) and get a hold of a
copy of the "From Powerup to Bash Prompt HOWTO"; here you will learn what
scripts get run on startup, and where to go to turn off non-essential
services.

(Hint:  Look in the rc.d directory off /etc)

Cheers,
MvdW

2. Incoming services using IP masqueradeing

3. USB Caddy errors with Drives

4. I can't get xdm to run, but I've done everything!

5. MAXTOR DISK Drive Problems

6. Everything install with or without "OE" of Sparc/x86 Sol9?

7. Need help! HP2070A SCSI hard drivr

8. Can I change File Systems Sizes without installing everything?

9. Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...

10. Upgrading Redhat without losing everything

11. Repartitioning without loosing everything

12. Help: Reinstalling Linux Without Losing Everything