SPARC SunOs 4.x or SPARC Solaris appls under Linux

SPARC SunOs 4.x or SPARC Solaris appls under Linux

Post by TX1 Vladik Goytin 425 » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Can Linux execute SPARC SunOs 4.x or/and SPARC Solaris
stdio applications?
If yes, what about Motif applications?

Thanks,
Vladik

Post by Erikson Vergar » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 07:35:02 GMT

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
> Subject: SPARC SunOs 4.x or SPARC Solaris appls under Linux

> Can Linux execute SPARC SunOs 4.x or/and SPARC Solaris
> stdio applications?
> If yes, what about Motif applications?

> Thanks,
> Vladik

You can't run SPARC executables on a Linux PC because they have different
machine language instructions and registers.  But a SPARC running Linux
should work using the iBCS module running if both machines use ELF
binaries.  This is just a guess because I use Linux on a PC.  If you have
the source code, most programs will compile with slight modification
(usually just a couple of different #include files or proper symbolic
links to existing ones) on Linux PC's.  The only exceptions to this I have
found are systems programs which use proprietary Sun data structures like
those used to support audio devices or the proc filesystem for example.
This would entail a little bit of porting and hacking to get these to
work.  ioctl() function is not quite the same in Sun and Linux...Sun has
more constants defined in header files like <sys/audioio.h>, which Linux
lacks, at least as of 2.0.28, which is the latest source I have, even
though I still use good ole 1.2.13

                           -Erikson Vergara

                            http://www.cs.utsa.edu/~evergara