The PARALLEL Processing Connection - What Is It?

The PARALLEL Processing Connection - What Is It?

Post by mitche » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The PARALLEL Processing Connection is an entrepreneurial association; we
mean to assist our members in spawning very successful new businesses
involving parallel processing.

Our meetings take place on the second Monday of each month at 7:30 PM at
Sun Microsystems at 901 South San Antonio Road in Palo Alto, California.
Southbound travelers exit 101 at San Antonio ; northbound attendees also
exit at San Antonio and take the overpass to the other side of 101. There
is a $12  visitor fee for non-members and members ($65 per year) are
admitted free. Our phone number is (408) 732-9869 for a recorded message
about upcoming meetings; recordings are available for those who can't
attend - please inquire.

Since the PPC was formed in late 1989 many people have sampled it, found
it to be very valuable, and even understand what we're up to. Nonetheless,
certain questions persist. Now, in our ninth year of operation, perhaps we
can and should clarify some of the issues. For example:

Q.  What is PPC's raison d'etre?

A.  The PARALLEL Processing Connection is an entrepreneurial organization
intent on facilitating the emergence of new businesses. PPC does not
become an active member of any such new entities, ie: is not itself a
profit center.

Q.  The issue of 'why' is perhaps the most perplexing. After all, a $65
annual membership fee is essentially free and how can anything be free in
1998? What's the payoff? For whom?

A.  That's actually the easiest question of all. Those of us who are
active members hope to be a part of new companies that get spun off; the
payoff is for all of us -- this is an easy win-win! Since nothing else
exists to facilitate hands-on entrepreneurship, we decided to put it
together ourselves.

Q.  How can PPC assist its members?

A.  PPC is a large technically credible organization. We have close to 100
paid members and a large group of less regular visitors; we mail to
approximately 400 engineers and scientists (primarily in Silicon Valley).
Major companies need to maintain visibility in the community and
connection with it; that makes us an important conduit. PPC's strategy is
to trade on that value by collaborating with important companies for the
benefit of its members. Thus, as an organization, we have been able to
obtain donated hardware, software, and training and we've put together a
small development lab for hands-on use of members at our Sunnyvale office.
Further, we've been able to negotiate discounts on seminars and
hardware/software purchases by members. Most important, alliances such as
we described give us an inside opportunity to JOINT VENTURE SITUATIONS.

Q.  As an attendee, what should I do to enhance my opportunities?

A.  Participate, participate, participate. Many important industry
principals and capital people are in our audience looking for the
'movers'!

For further information contact:

--
B. Mitchell Loebel
CEO, Chief Technical Officer

Executive Director
The PARALLEL Processing Connection              408 732-9869

1. The PARALLEL Processing Connection - What Is It?

[...]

2. SENDMAIL config

3. The PARALLEL Processing Connection-July 16th meeting notice

4. Looking for the master

5. The PARALLEL Processing Connection-Meeting Notice

6. How to set up PPP from AIX?

7. policy based routing

8. The PARALLEL Processing Connection February 14th Meeting Notice

9. The PARALLEL Processing Connection-July 16th meeting notice

10. The PARALLEL Processing Connection-Meeting Notice

11. The PARALLEL Processing Connection-What Is It?