Help: ttyS3 not receiving data. (input overrun)

Help: ttyS3 not receiving data. (input overrun)

Post by Duane Touche » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I had a DOS PC hooked up to our PBX to grab data through a serial
port.  I convinced the boss to replace it with a Linux box.  Now I can't

get any data from the PBX system.  We used to use ProcommPlus for DOS
with 1200,7E1 to grab the input.  Now, in Linux, I found out that it's
on ttyS3.  When I do "cat < /dev/ttyS3", whenever the PBX sends a signal

(I can tell because I can here the audible switch).
I get a message like "ttyS3: 1 byte input overrun".  Any ideas?  When I
try to
use MiniCom I get no response at all.  I need to get the data from the
serial port and direct it to a file.

Here's some info which may help:

/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS2, UART: 16450, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS3, UART: 16450, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

/dev/ttyS3, Line 3, UART: 16450, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
        Flags: spd_normal

Thanks for the help,
Duane.

Help: ttyS3 not receiving data. (input overrun)

Post by Rod Roa » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

You need to assign the port its own interrupt, for example irq5, by
setting its switches or jumpers appropriately.  Then you need to do:

  setserial /dev/ttyS3 irq 5

which can go into rc.local.

Cheers,

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

On Mon, 01 May 2000 13:15:58 -0500, Duane Touchet

>Hello,

>I had a DOS PC hooked up to our PBX to grab data through a serial
>port.  I convinced the boss to replace it with a Linux box.  Now I can't

>get any data from the PBX system.  We used to use ProcommPlus for DOS
>with 1200,7E1 to grab the input.  Now, in Linux, I found out that it's
>on ttyS3.  When I do "cat < /dev/ttyS3", whenever the PBX sends a signal

>(I can tell because I can here the audible switch).
>I get a message like "ttyS3: 1 byte input overrun".  Any ideas?  When I
>try to
>use MiniCom I get no response at all.  I need to get the data from the
>serial port and direct it to a file.

>Here's some info which may help:

>/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>/dev/ttyS1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
>/dev/ttyS2, UART: 16450, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
>/dev/ttyS3, UART: 16450, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

>/dev/ttyS3, Line 3, UART: 16450, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
>        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>        closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
>        Flags: spd_normal

>Thanks for the help,
>Duane.

Help: ttyS3 not receiving data. (input overrun)

Good plan if the sound card is not using IRQ 5..

Post by Bob Hau » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 01 May 2000 13:15:58 -0500, Duane Touchet

>/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>/dev/ttyS1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
>/dev/ttyS2, UART: 16450, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
>/dev/ttyS3, UART: 16450, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

This looks bogus.  Are you _sure_ about what you have in the box in terms
of io ports and irqs?  Can you look at your old DOS setup or check jumpers
or something to verify?  What is on ttyS0 and ttyS1 (aka com1 and com2)?
Must be something weird if the kernel can't figure out the uart type.
That usually means that nothing is actually there but some init script has
assumed that every PC has a com1 and a com2, or that something that is not
a serial port is there.

Having two ports on the same IRQ is A Bad Thing for ISA buss cards.  If
you really do have four com ports you might try disabling ttyS0 and ttyS1
to see if that helps.  Or, perhaps you do have four ports but the IRQ's
aren't being detected correctly.  You might try using setserial to fix
that if you know how the hardware is configured.

You said you "found out" the port was ttyS3...how did you find this out?
By just trying things or by looking at your DOS setup?  That tty would be
COM4 in DOS.  Is that the COM port were you using before?

Basically, I think you have your serial port configuration messed up
someplace.  What the software thinks is there is not what is actually
there.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

Help: ttyS3 not receiving data. (input overrun)

Post by Duane Touche » Tue, 02 May 2000 04:00:00

Actually, it's not bogus.  The box does not have Com1 and 2.  The DOS BIOS
reports the two serial ports as 3e8 and 2e8 (which is DOS is Com3 and 4).
It's an old AMI bios that does not allow me to configure the ports (they're
ISA anyway).  I was using Com4 on PCPlus.  The way I "found" that this seemed
to be the correct port was by trial-and-error.  I did "cat < /dev/ttyS*" with
each one and the only response I got was from ttyS3.  The error only shows up
when the PBX tries to transmit data.   I'm afraid that I can't switch the Com
ports as I don't have the manual for the IO card (it's a horrible card, around
20 jumpers, it's nice that they didn't take the time to label the jumpers :(
).  I agree that it sounds like the IO ports aren't configured properly in
Linux, but how do I tell Linux that I don't have a Com1 and 2?  Or would it be
easier to reconfigure Linux's Com1 and 2 (ttyS0 and S1) to use the Base IO
addresses of 3e8 and 2e8 and then disable the Com 3 and 4 (ttyS2 and S3) ??

Thanks,
Duane.

> On Mon, 01 May 2000 13:15:58 -0500, Duane Touchet

> >/dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> >/dev/ttyS1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
> >/dev/ttyS2, UART: 16450, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
> >/dev/ttyS3, UART: 16450, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

> This looks bogus.  Are you _sure_ about what you have in the box in terms
> of io ports and irqs?  Can you look at your old DOS setup or check jumpers
> or something to verify?  What is on ttyS0 and ttyS1 (aka com1 and com2)?
> Must be something weird if the kernel can't figure out the uart type.
> That usually means that nothing is actually there but some init script has
> assumed that every PC has a com1 and a com2, or that something that is not
> a serial port is there.

> Having two ports on the same IRQ is A Bad Thing for ISA buss cards.  If
> you really do have four com ports you might try disabling ttyS0 and ttyS1
> to see if that helps.  Or, perhaps you do have four ports but the IRQ's
> aren't being detected correctly.  You might try using setserial to fix
> that if you know how the hardware is configured.

> You said you "found out" the port was ttyS3...how did you find this out?
> By just trying things or by looking at your DOS setup?  That tty would be
> COM4 in DOS.  Is that the COM port were you using before?

> Basically, I think you have your serial port configuration messed up
> someplace.  What the software thinks is there is not what is actually
> there.

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| Codem Systems, Inc.
>  -| http://www.codem.com/

Help: ttyS3 not receiving data. (input overrun)

Post by Bob Hau » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 01 May 2000 16:22:21 -0500, Duane Touchet

>Actually, it's not bogus.  The box does not have Com1 and 2.

Ok, that qualifies for what I meant.  I meant that the output looked weird
not that you made it up.

You might look around to see if your system has a script called something
like "/etc/rc.d/rc.serial".  If so, you could probably comment out the
setup for ttyS0 and ttyS1.

Quote:>Linux, but how do I tell Linux that I don't have a Com1 and 2?

You could use setserial to configure ttyS0 and ttyS1 as 0x3e8 and 0x2e8
and then disable ttyS2 and 3.  Something like:

setserial /dev/ttyS0 port 0x3e8 irq 4
setserial /dev/ttyS1 port 0x2e8 irq 3
setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart none
setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart none

Or you could just disable ttyS0 and 1 with the "uart none" syntax.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

1. recent CVS: The PHP Filter did not receive suitable input data

Hi all,

My recent CVS snapshot of Apache 2.0(.35) tells me this lots of times.
I need to press F5 to reload that page and it works then (mostly).

"The PHP Filter did not receive suitable input data"

Is this bug fixed now?

I can't believe that is is caused because of any misconfigurations :(

Many thanks,
Christian Parpart.
http://www.surakware.net

2. ChkLogs v1.8 System Log maintenance

3. Help receiving signal when data is received on socket

4. HP820Cxi - Just Checking

5. What is the difference between /dev/ttyS3, /dev/cua3, and /dev/ttys3 ?

6. A function to get processor load

7. Help: tty66: input overrun

8. 9GXE64_S3864chipset

9. Receiving TCP ignores sending data when receiving buffer is full???

10. Perl script not receive data from server IIS

11. I can not send data to the network, but receiving works !!

12. non-blocking socket: close results in peer not receiving data

13. 3c509 RH7.3 Sends but Does Not Receive Data