(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by Garry Heato » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:50:57



I'm about to select my first Linux/UNIX OS and have narrowed-down the choice
to Mandrake 7.2 or Red Hat 7.0. I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is buggy. Is Mandrake
therefore more stable? Are there any significant differences between the 2?
I tend towards the ease of use end of the spectrum as I want to concentrate
on Perl development not OS expertise.

Also, can I run Apache for desktop development with both of these options? I
read somewhere that Mandrame 7.2 is designed for the desktop, not the
server, but I understand by this that I will still be able to use it as a
desktop development environment with Apache but not as a server machine.
Please correct if this isn't the case.

Thanks

Garry Heaton

 
 
 

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by Sinner from the Prair » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:02:01



> I'm about to select my first Linux/UNIX OS and have narrowed-down the choice
> to Mandrake 7.2 or Red Hat 7.0. I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is buggy. Is Mandrake
> therefore more stable? Are there any significant differences between the 2?
> I tend towards the ease of use end of the spectrum as I want to concentrate
> on Perl development not OS expertise.

I say go Mandrake 7.2 all the way.

Choose "development install" for your needs.

Quote:> Also, can I run Apache for desktop development with both of these options? I
> read somewhere that Mandrame 7.2 is designed for the desktop, not the
> server, but I understand by this that I will still be able to use it as a
> desktop development environment with Apache but not as a server machine.
> Please correct if this isn't the case.

Both have Apache. If the default "development" install doesn't provide
you with a working apache, then, install it and configure it graphicaly.

Go to http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en and http://www.mandrakeuser.org
for more info.

Quote:> Thanks
> Garry Heaton

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net
__________________
                  |\                 Linux User # 89976
=====Sinner==== >=--[]>- a Mach 2.5!!  Running on Mandrake 7.2
__________________|/                     Linux Machine # 38068

 
 
 

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by Jeff Susan » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 03:13:51


As far as bugs, I have been running RedHat 7.0 for a month or so and I
haven't seen any major problems.  Also, their web site has been providing
fixes regularly so that if there are problems in the basic distribution they
are quickly being repaired.  I have not been able to install Mandrake on my
system since it is not a pentium but an AMD 586 and thus Mandrake is not
compatible.

Jeff S.



>> I'm about to select my first Linux/UNIX OS and have narrowed-down the
choice
>> to Mandrake 7.2 or Red Hat 7.0. I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is buggy. Is
Mandrake
>> therefore more stable? Are there any significant differences between the
2?
>> I tend towards the ease of use end of the spectrum as I want to
concentrate
>> on Perl development not OS expertise.

>I say go Mandrake 7.2 all the way.

>Choose "development install" for your needs.

>> Also, can I run Apache for desktop development with both of these
options? I
>> read somewhere that Mandrame 7.2 is designed for the desktop, not the
>> server, but I understand by this that I will still be able to use it as a
>> desktop development environment with Apache but not as a server machine.
>> Please correct if this isn't the case.

>Both have Apache. If the default "development" install doesn't provide
>you with a working apache, then, install it and configure it graphicaly.

>Go to http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en and http://www.mandrakeuser.org
>for more info.

>> Thanks
>> Garry Heaton

>Salut,
>Sinner
>--
>http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
>[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net
>__________________
>                  |\                 Linux User # 89976
>=====Sinner==== >=--[]>- a Mach 2.5!!  Running on Mandrake 7.2
>__________________|/                     Linux Machine # 38068

 
 
 

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by Sinner from the Prair » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:37:12



> As far as bugs, I have been running RedHat 7.0 for a month or so and I
> haven't seen any major problems.  Also, their web site has been
> providing fixes regularly so that if there are problems in the basic
> distribution they are quickly being repaired.  I have not been able to
> install Mandrake on my system since it is not a pentium but an AMD 586
> and thus Mandrake is not compatible.

You can try Mandrake 7.02 version compiled for 486. It should work.

I use my Mandrake 7.2 with an AMD K6-2.

Quote:> Jeff S.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net
__________________
                  |\                 Linux User # 89976
=====Sinner==== >=--[]>- a Mach 2.5!!  Running on Mandrake 7.2
__________________|/                     Linux Machine # 38068
 
 
 

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by c.. » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:54:28


I agree. Mandrake 7.2 is a better distro.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:02:01 +0000, Sinner from the Prairy



>> I'm about to select my first Linux/UNIX OS and have narrowed-down the choice
>> to Mandrake 7.2 or Red Hat 7.0. I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is buggy. Is Mandrake
>> therefore more stable? Are there any significant differences between the 2?
>> I tend towards the ease of use end of the spectrum as I want to concentrate
>> on Perl development not OS expertise.

>I say go Mandrake 7.2 all the way.

>Choose "development install" for your needs.

>> Also, can I run Apache for desktop development with both of these options? I
>> read somewhere that Mandrame 7.2 is designed for the desktop, not the
>> server, but I understand by this that I will still be able to use it as a
>> desktop development environment with Apache but not as a server machine.
>> Please correct if this isn't the case.

>Both have Apache. If the default "development" install doesn't provide
>you with a working apache, then, install it and configure it graphicaly.

>Go to http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en and http://www.mandrakeuser.org
>for more info.

>> Thanks
>> Garry Heaton

>Salut,
>Sinner

 
 
 

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by Michel Catuda » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:53:06


Garry Heaton a crit :

Quote:

> I'm about to select my first Linux/UNIX OS and have narrowed-down the choice
> to Mandrake 7.2 or Red Hat 7.0. I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is buggy. Is Mandrake
> therefore more stable? Are there any significant differences between the 2?
> I tend towards the ease of use end of the spectrum as I want to concentrate
> on Perl development not OS expertise.

> Also, can I run Apache for desktop development with both of these options? I
> read somewhere that Mandrame 7.2 is designed for the desktop, not the
> server, but I understand by this that I will still be able to use it as a
> desktop development environment with Apache but not as a server machine.
> Please correct if this isn't the case.

> Thanks

> Garry Heaton

SuSE 7.0 professional would be a better choice. Mandrake much like RedHat is famous for
its regular core dumps.

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.
http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat     for all kinds of links and info
http://www.geocities.com/seinsiboire and
http://members.nbci.com/bbcat_rpm for SuSE 7.0 Linux RPM packages

 
 
 

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by Bob Reinkemeye » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:01:12


I am using mandrake 7.2 on a amd k62 266 with no problems.  7.2 has been
very stable so far.  I also think you have more choices than redhat.

Bob


> I'm about to select my first Linux/UNIX OS and have narrowed-down the choice
> to Mandrake 7.2 or Red Hat 7.0. I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is buggy. Is Mandrake
> therefore more stable? Are there any significant differences between the 2?
> I tend towards the ease of use end of the spectrum as I want to concentrate
> on Perl development not OS expertise.

> Also, can I run Apache for desktop development with both of these options? I
> read somewhere that Mandrame 7.2 is designed for the desktop, not the
> server, but I understand by this that I will still be able to use it as a
> desktop development environment with Apache but not as a server machine.
> Please correct if this isn't the case.

> Thanks

> Garry Heaton

 
 
 

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by Jimenez Martinez Angel Lu » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:25:15



> I'm about to select my first Linux/UNIX OS and have narrowed-down the choice
> to Mandrake 7.2 or Red Hat 7.0. I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is buggy. Is Mandrake
> therefore more stable? Are there any significant differences between the 2?
> I tend towards the ease of use end of the spectrum as I want to concentrate
> on Perl development not OS expertise.
> Also, can I run Apache for desktop development with both of these options? I
> read somewhere that Mandrame 7.2 is designed for the desktop, not the
> server, but I understand by this that I will still be able to use it as a
> desktop development environment with Apache but not as a server machine.
> Please correct if this isn't the case.
> Thanks
> Garry Heaton

Hi,
        Now I have Mandrake 7.2 intalled and it runs quite well (it doesn't
        have many bugs ;) ). And I have read some news about bugs in RedHat
        7.0's gcc. So my bet would be Mandrake.

        And about the apche stuff, don't worry, Mandrake comes with apache,
        and some modules for it like mod_perl, mod_php... And I have a distro.
        from a magazine (you know, only the first CD).

--

 
 
 

(Newbie) Mandrake 7.2 less buggy than Red Hat 7.0?

Post by John D. Peedl » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 07:58:12



> I am using mandrake 7.2 on a amd k62 266 with no problems.  7.2 has been
> very stable so far.  I also think you have more choices than redhat.

> Bob


> > I'm about to select my first Linux/UNIX OS and have narrowed-down the
choice
> > to Mandrake 7.2 or Red Hat 7.0. I've heard Red Hat 7.0 is buggy. Is
Mandrake
> > therefore more stable? Are there any significant differences between the
2?
> > I tend towards the ease of use end of the spectrum as I want to
concentrate
> > on Perl development not OS expertise.

> > Also, can I run Apache for desktop development with both of these
options? I
> > read somewhere that Mandrame 7.2 is designed for the desktop, not the
> > server, but I understand by this that I will still be able to use it as
a
> > desktop development environment with Apache but not as a server machine.
> > Please correct if this isn't the case.

> > Thanks

> > Garry Heaton

Go SuSE 7.0

--
John D. Peedle
RHCE - so I'm Biased!
Registered Linux User 167460

 
 
 

1. Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

After installing Red Hat 7.2 I configured Samba. I can mount and browse
shares on a Win2k Pro system on the network. However, the Win2k system
cannot see the Red Hat system.

I can ping the Red Hat system from the Win2k system both by name and IP
address. However, if I search for the Red Hat system from Windows Explorer,
either by name or IP address, it is not found.

I am a Linux novice and have run out of things to check. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Bill

2. SIG_SEGV in new(), is that possible?

3. Monitor Problems with Mandrake 8.0 (2.4.3) and Red Hat 7.2 (2.4.2)

4. config for install kernel?

5. Newbie Question about Red Hat 7.2

6. Problems with my screen

7. Newbie needs help with NIC and Red Hat 7.2

8. 2.4.6-pre6 cs46xx build error with CONFIG_SOUND_FUSION=m

9. newbie : Is Red Hat RPM buggy

10. Configuracion Red Hat 7.2 en red

11. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

12. Mandrake Linux 7.0 vs Red Hat Linux 6.1

13. FA: Mandrake 7.0, Red Hat 6.1 -- DUTCH AUCTION -- starts at $2, visa/mc accepted!