Sendmail wait on Red Hat 3.0.3?

Post by Stewart Harris » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I just installed Red Hat 3.0.3 (was running 2.0).  Now my sendmail daemon
takes 60 seconds to load.  Any ideas what may be causing this?  Not a big
problem, but would be nice if I could get it to load faster.  Note that
this is on a standalone machine, used to connect to my ISP and do various
Internet stuff.  It is a P100 w/ 24 megs of RAM.  Thanks in advance for
your help. =8^)

             Home page:"http://blaze.cba.uga.edu/~stewarth/"
        -----AKPsi Home page:"http://blaze.cba.uga.edu/akpsi/"-----------

Sendmail wait on Red Hat 3.0.3?

Post by Jon Martin Sola » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

   I just installed Red Hat 3.0.3 (was running 2.0).  Now my sendmail daemon
   takes 60 seconds to load.  Any ideas what may be causing this?  Not a big
   problem, but would be nice if I could get it to load faster.  Note that
   this is on a standalone machine, used to connect to my ISP and do various
   Internet stuff.  It is a P100 w/ 24 megs of RAM.  Thanks in advance for
   your help. =8^)

Check if the lo interface is configured with network-address 127.0.0.1.
The interface lo should have this address, but the network address
should be 127.0.0.0. When I upgraded to kernel 2.0 and installed all
the new packages to support it I also needed to modify my /etc/hosts file.
I had to change the entry

192.168.0.1     onatopp

192.168.0.1     onatopp.my.domain       onatopp

Seems like sendmail needs the long version and syslogd the short one,
but I'm not sure if this is a problem if you only have a loopback interface.

Your /etc/networks file should have an entry like this:

loopback        127.0.0.0

and possibly

my.domain       192.168.0.0

Also make sure RedHat is not confused wether your loopback interface
is called lo or lo0. According to their manual and network-setup it's
lo0, but lo makes more sense. I use "lo" and have renamed the config
file for this interface /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo.  The
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network script that starts the different interfaces
looks for config-files called ifcfg-lo?, so you'll have to change that
in the script. Also make sure you have "NETWORK=127.0.0.0" and
"DEVICE=lo" in ifcfg-lo and that you're not trying a route "add -net
127.0.0.1" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-lo. Maybe you can
use the lo0 name for your interface instead, if you want to, just make
sure you have consistency all over. What is definitely wrong is to use
"NETWORK=127.0.0.1" in ifcfg-lo, "route add -net 127.0.0.1" in ifup-lo
or "loopback 127.0.0.1" in /etc/networks.

Hope this helps. At least I had a lot of fun before I got it straigth
:-)

--
Jon Martin Solaas

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonso

Sendmail wait on Red Hat 3.0.3?

Post by Mitchell B. Ham » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I just installed Red Hat 3.0.3 (was running 2.0).  Now my sendmail daemon
> takes 60 seconds to load.

Sendmail usually barfs like this when you have something incorrect in your /etc/hosts file.
make sure it has something like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       your_machine_name

That oughta fix it...

--

Finger: PGP Public Key ID #767902BD
http://w3.one.net/~hamm

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. ident command

3. FTP Connect, wait for welcome, then nothing on Red Hat 5.1?

4. Why does more(1) not leave an exit status?

5. Red Hat installation: how long should I wait?

6. part size

7. Waiting for Red Hat 6.0

8. Error messages: eth0: Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers

9. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

10. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

11. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

12. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming

13. Red Hat Piranha and Red Hat 7