ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Peter Matt » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

The GIMP: the General Image Manipulation Program

The GIMP is designed to provide an intuitive graphical interface to a
variety of image editing operations. Here is a list of the GIMP's
major features:

 Image viewing
 -------------

   *  Supports 8, 15, 16 and 24 bit color.
   *  Ordered and Floyd-Steinberg dithering for 8 bit displays.
   *  View images as rgb color, grayscale or indexed color.
   *  Simultaneously edit multiple images.
   *  Zoom and pan in real-time.
   *  GIF, JPEG, PNG, TIFF and XPM support.

 Image editing
 -------------

   *  Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy, bezier
      and intelligent.
   *  Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip.
   *  Painting tools including bucket, brush, airbrush, clone, convolve,
      blend and text.
   *  Effects filters (such as blur, edge detect).
   *  Channel & color operations (such as add, composite, decompose).
   *  Plug-ins which allow for the easy addition of new file formats and
      new effect filters.
   *  Multiple undo/redo.

Requirements
------------

 *  The operating system must support shared memory.
 *  X11 R5 or R6. (Actually, it may work on R4, but we have not had a
    chance to test it).
 *  The X-server must support the X shared memory extension. (The
    X-server does not actually need to support shared memory so this is
    only a temporary situation until we integrate the configure
    information with the source code).
 *  Motif 1.2 or above.

The GIMP has been tested (and developed) on the following operating
systems: Linux 1.2.13, Solaris 2.4, HPUX 9.05, SGI IRIX.

Currently, the biggest restriction to running the GIMP is the Motif
requirement. We will release a statically linked binary for several
systems soon (including Linux).

URLs
----

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~gimp
ftp://ftp.csua.berkeley.edu/pub/gimp

Brought to you by
-----------------

NOTE
----

This software is currently a beta release. This means that we haven't
implemented all of the features we think are required for a full,
unqualified release. There are undoubtedly bugs we haven't found yet
just waiting to surface given the right conditions. If you run across

precise details on how it can be reliably reproduced.

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Stephen Wr » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Having trouble compiling on linux.

At first it couldnt find libXt... so I hacked the configure script to
ignore this -- since I *know* I have that lib and that it is in
/usr/X11/lib

Ran compile and it churns away for a long long time until it finally chokes
because it claims;

gcc main.o errors.o actionarea.o app-procs.o buildmenu.o callbacks.o color_select.o fileops.o gimprc.o menus.o interface.o palette.o widget.o colormaps.o disp-callbacks.o gconvert.o gdither.o gimage.o gdisplay.o gdisplay_ops.o gximage.o image_buf.o info_dialog.o info_window.o scale.o scroll.o shadow_ops.o status.o view_ops.o visual.o workprocs.o cursorutil.o general.o linked.o memutils.o progress.o timer.o plug_in.o autodialog.o bezier_select.o boundary.o crop.o global_edit.o gregion.o edit_selection.o ellipse_select.o flip_tool.o free_select.o fuzzy_select.o iscissors.o rect_select.o rotate_tool.o scale_tool.o selection.o select_core.o shear_tool.o temp_buf.o text_tool.o tools.o transform_core.o transform_tool.o undo.o airbrush.o blend.o brushes.o brush_select.o bucket_fill.o clone.o color_picker.o convolve.o paintbrush.o paint_core.o paint_funcs.o            -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm -lXt -lXext -lX11 -lm   -o gimp
ld: Output file requires shared library `libXt.so.3'
gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6
make[1]: *** [gimp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gimp-0.5/app'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Now, the directory in -L/usr/X11R6/lib is where libXt.so.3 (libXt.so.3.1.0) is.
I also have a library libXt.so.6 (libXt.so.6.0) as well.

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Rich Whit » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Having trouble compiling on linux.

> At first it couldnt find libXt... so I hacked the configure script to
> ignore this -- since I *know* I have that lib and that it is in
> /usr/X11/lib

> Ran compile and it churns away for a long long time until it finally chokes
> because it claims;

> gcc main.o errors.o actionarea.o app-procs.o buildmenu.o callbacks.o color_select.o fileops.o gimprc.o menus.o interface.o palette.o widget.o colormaps.o disp-
> ld: Output file requires shared library `libXt.so.3'
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6
> make[1]: *** [gimp] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gimp-0.5/app'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

> Now, the directory in -L/usr/X11R6/lib is where libXt.so.3 (libXt.so.3.1.0) is.
> I also have a library libXt.so.6 (libXt.so.6.0) as well.

Hey, I'm no good at this at all, but don't you need a symbolic
link from your libXt.so.3.1.0 to libXt.so.3?

rock on ...

rich white

http://www.ios.com/~noise

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Stephen Wr » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

    >>  Having trouble compiling on linux.
[snip]
    >> Now, the directory in -L/usr/X11R6/lib is where libXt.so.3
    >> (libXt.so.3.1.0) is.  I also have a library libXt.so.6
    >> (libXt.so.6.0) as well.

    Rich> Hey, I'm no good at this at all, but don't you need a symbolic
    Rich> link from your libXt.so.3.1.0 to libXt.so.3?

There is -- that is what I meant by libXt.so.3 (libXt.so.3.1.0) .
Ok, I *should* have said "libXt.so.3 -> libXt.so.3.1.0"

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by David L. Johnso » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

First:  Geez, you shouldn't post something like this to three different
newsgroups.

Second:  Your stub Xt library must be the one for XFree-2.1, which is
wrong, since you are compiling this on an R6 system, I guess.
(Motif-2.0??).  -L/usr/X11R6/lib  would indicate this.

So, yous system is not configured correctly, and you probably have
trouble with more than this.  Your stub libraries (*.sa) should be the
6.0 versions in /usr/X11R6/lib/.  That might help.

--

Department of Mathematics       http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Tim Bandelo » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi.

>Having trouble compiling on linux.

>At first it couldnt find libXt... so I hacked the configure script to
>ignore this -- since I *know* I have that lib and that it is in
>/usr/X11/lib

>Ran compile and it churns away for a long long time until it finally chokes
>because it claims;

>gcc main.o errors.o actionarea.o app-procs.o buildmenu.o callbacks.o color_select.o fileops.o gimprc.o menus.o interface.o palette.=

o widget.o colormaps.o disp-callbacks.o gconvert.o gdither.o gimage.o gdisplay.o gdisplay_ops.o gximage.o image_buf.o info_dialog.o =
info_window.o scale.o scroll.o shadow_ops.o status.o view_ops.o visual.o workprocs.o cursorutil.o general.o linked.o memutils.o prog=
ress.o timer.o plug_in.o autodialog.o bezier_select.o boundary.o crop.o global_edit.o gregion.o edit_selection.o ellipse_select.o fl=
ip_tool.o free_select.o fuzzy_select.o iscissors.o rect_select.o rotate_tool.o scale_tool.o selection.o select_core.o shear_tool.o t=
emp_buf.o text_tool.o tools.o transform_core.o transform_tool.o undo.o airbrush.o blend.o brushes.o brush_select.o bucket_fill.o clo=
ne.o color_picker.o convolve.o paintbrush.o paint_core.o paint_funcs.o           -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm -lXt -lXext -lX11 -lm   -o gimp

Quote:>ld: Output file requires shared library `libXt.so.3'
>gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6
>make[1]: *** [gimp] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gimp-0.5/app'
>make: *** [all] Error 2

>Now, the directory in -L/usr/X11R6/lib is where libXt.so.3 (libXt.so.3.1.0) is.
>I also have a library libXt.so.6 (libXt.so.6.0) as well.

You seem to have an older Motif version which was linked with X11R5 libraries.
While upgrading your system from X11R5 to X11R6 you have moved all X11R5 shared
libraries (libX*.so*) to /usr/X11R6/lib. This way all existing programs
still run. But you probably forgot the libX*.sa files, which are used by the
linker when you compile programs. The .sa files don't have version numbers
in their filenames. So only one version can exist in each directory. In
your case it is the X11R6 version of libXt.
Another problem: ld links the specified libraries backwards. First
libm, then libX11, libXext, libXt and finally libXm. So when it looks for
libXt, it doesn't know which version is required and might get confused.

The solution for your problem would be to create a directory /usr/X11R5/lib,
put all X11R5 libraries (libX*.so.3*) and your Motif libraries into this
directory, try to recover the old libX*.sa files from a backup disk and
put these files also into /usr/X11R5/lib. Then add the path /usr/X11R5/lib to
/etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.

Now you should be able to specify -L/usr/X11R5/lib instead of -L/usr/X11R6/lib
and the correct libraries should be found.

Hope it helps.
Tim

--
    \  |   \   |  |   Tim Bandelow               Lehrstuhl NMI
     \ |    _/ |  |   Fakultaet Bauwesen         August Schmidtstr. 8
   |   |  |    |  |   Universitaet Dortmund      44221 Dortmund
  _|  _| _|   _| _|   Tel.:   ++49 231 755 2565  Fax :   ++49 231 755 2532

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Iain L » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

If anyone has compiled this and *statically* linked it with the Motif libs
could you please drop me a line with the ftp site.

Thanx

--
Iain Lea                                            DS 83, SBS GmbH., Germany

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Marcin Klimows » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: If anyone has compiled this and *statically* linked it with the Motif libs
: could you please drop me a line with the ftp site.
:

Iain :

you did not specified for which OS you need it.......

                Marcin;)

..it's de facto >>--| http://www.pk.edu.pl/~marcin |-->> 2 line only sig....

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Lou Sortm » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>: If anyone has compiled this and *statically* linked it with the Motif libs
>: could you please drop me a line with the ftp site.
>:

>Iain :

>you did not specified for which OS you need it.......

Good point.  I, for one, am running Linux ELF.

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Brian T » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Good point.  I, for one, am running Linux ELF.

    The authors of GIMP said they were having problems producing a
statically-linked version for Linux.  They believe it may be a bug in
the Linux version of the Motif libs.  If anyone needs a static binary

--

Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Steve Dunh » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

:     The authors of GIMP said they were having problems producing a
: statically-linked version for Linux.  They believe it may be a bug in
: the Linux version of the Motif libs.  If anyone needs a static binary

It works fine linked statically against the ELF version of MetroLink
Motif 2.0...

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by David L. Johnso » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> >Good point.  I, for one, am running Linux ELF.

>     The authors of GIMP said they were having problems producing a
> statically-linked version for Linux.

Hm.  I've never had any problem doing that.  If they want, I could
provide them with one.

--

Post by s.. » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>>     The authors of GIMP said they were having problems producing a
>>> statically-linked version for Linux.

>>Hm.  I've never had any problem doing that.  If they want, I could
>>provide them with one.

>Well, thanks to Steve Dunham, we will be putting up a statically linked
>ELF binary very soon. (I just want to check it out first to make sure
>everything is ok).

Wonderful for ELF, but is there a statically-linked a.out version??

  FREE ACCESS TO E-MAIL & NEWS at +1 604 681 0670.  INFO on Environment,
  Science, Medicine, AIDS, Native (Indigenous) Issues and more.  We sell
  ZyXEL, Penril, Telebit and more world-wide to support this Free Public

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Peter Matt » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>     The authors of GIMP said they were having problems producing a
>> statically-linked version for Linux.

>Hm.  I've never had any problem doing that.  If they want, I could
>provide them with one.

Well, thanks to Steve Dunham, we will be putting up a statically linked
ELF binary very soon. (I just want to check it out first to make sure
everything is ok).

And in case you were wondering, the flawed Motif distribution I have
is from Infomagic (MooTif). I can take a demo off the distribution cd
and statically link it to demonstrate the problem. (Its with the file
selection dialog).

Peter Mattis

ANNOUNCE: The GIMP

Post by Brian T » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>It works fine linked statically against the ELF version of MetroLink
>Motif 2.0...

    They did say they thought it was a bug with the Motif library.  In
particular, they were using the MooTif distribution, if I recall
correctly.  I'm sure they would appreciate static ELF and a.out
binaries.
--

Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.