Cannot boot Kernel

Post by Anton Norup Soerens » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to install Linux on a 386, but I cannot boot the kernel.
I am using the Slackware 2.3.0 kernels from ftp.funet.fi
Every time it goes:
"Uncompressing Linux......Done"
(in some versions also "Large kernel, low 1M tight")
"Now booting the kernel"
.....and then it just hangs!

I have tried booting BARE, SCSI and XT from a 1.2MB bootdisk.
I have tried booting BARE and SCSI using Loadlinux from a DOS partition.

I have tried the tricks for machines with little RAM:
In floppy boot mounting root as the other floppy drive
In loadlinux stating root as B: and no or small ramdisk

The machine is an Acer 1100/33, i.e. 33MHz 386
RAM is 4MB

BIOS is not loaded into RAM

In CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT all * resident software has been deleted.

The Harddisk is unstacked, with partitions
70MB DOS
44MB hopefully for Linux
6 Mb hopefully for swap space

Controller supports SCSI and ST412/ST501, EHDI, ESDI drives (whatever that is.)

Boot floppy is 1.2MB 5'25, the second is 1.44MB 3'5

I have previously installed Linux 0.99 and 1.2.1 on a 486 w. 8MB

Any suggestions on how I can get it running?

Thanks,

Anton Norup Sorensen

1. cannot boot kernel on a Smart-2P

Hi,

I just got an used ProLiant 2500 with the Smart-2P RAID controller, and I'm
having a hell of a time trying to get FreeBSD 4.0 to boot the kernel from
the (logical) hard drive. The file system is OK, I can access it no problem
booting from a floppy, is just that I really hate booting off the floppy.

I upgrade the firmware to the latest revision, but still no luck. If anyone
has been through this and is willing to help, I'd really appreciate it.

tx,
MG

2. sendmail Masq stuffing up Reply address

3. Cannot boot kernel 2.1.115

4. C99 initializers for drivers/scsi

5. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

6. Help with XMH and MH (was: Re: MH for Linux, *please*!

7. FreeBSD kernel boot disk cannot boot in ThinkPAD 750C

8. Problem with compilation of KDE from src RPMs

9. Ultra 30 won't boot from cd (boot: cannot open kernel/unix)

10. my linux cannot boot after install a new kernel

11. Novice: cannot boot - get a kernel panic error

12. kernel panic upon boot ; cannot mount root VFS ; 2.4.19

13. Help: Cannot boot with Kernel 2.3.x