Extended partition trouble

Post by peracch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi everbody, Please help, I've got myself in a bad problem. ANY comments/help
is much appreciated. In short, I installed win98se in one partition
(primary), a few days later, i installed linux (eDesktop 2.4) in a logical
partition inside a extended partition. System Commander controls the boot
process.  After boot in linux, the system will not boot anymore unless i use
some program to mark the first primary partition as active. ? Now, if the
above isn't enough to catch the problem here are the details: ? I have a
Fujistu 12GB HD that is partitioned as bellow:

| primary | primary | primary |  extended (9397MB) (hda4)  | |  604MB  |
604MB  |  902MB  |  101MB  |  3004MB  |  2000MB  | 4290MB  | | Win98SE |
Win98SE |  WinME  | linux swap | linux ext2 | linux ext2 |  fat32  | |  hda1
|  hda2  |  hda3  |  hda5  |  hda6  |  hda7  |  hda8  |

When i choose boot the linux in hda7, System Commander marks hda4 (extended)
and hda7 as bootable. After i reboot the system, System Commander don't
appear anymore.  Instead i receive a message asking for a boot/system disk. I
need use SCDISK from System Commander to mark hda1 as bootable to the system
boot again and System Commander take control. Another way is run cfdisk in
linux before reboot to mark hda1 as bootable.

What is wrong? In other situations i already use System Commander with a
configuration like this and have no trouble. Lilo is installed on hda7.

Thanks for help!

P.S.: sorry for my poor english!  ;^)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi everbody, Please help, I've got myself in a bad problem. ANY
>comments/help is much appreciated. In short, I installed win98se in one
>partition (primary), a few days later, i installed linux (eDesktop 2.4)
>in a logical partition inside a extended partition. System Commander
>controls the boot process.  After boot in linux, the system will not
>boot anymore unless i use some program to mark the first primary
>partition as active. ? Now, if the When i choose boot the linux in
>hda7, System Commander marks hda4 (extended) and hda7 as bootable.
>After i reboot the system, System Commander don't appear anymore.
>Instead i receive a message asking for a boot/system disk. I

Odd, but I think this hackaround will work:

0. Use fdisk within Linux to set /dev/hda1 as active.
1. dd if=/dev/hda of=/sbin/hackboot.raw bs=512 count=1
2. Edit the shutdown script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt on RedHat,
/sbin/init.d/halt on SuSE, no idea for Caldera) so that it includes the
following line somewhere before the "halt" command:
  dd if=/sbin/hackboot.raw of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

BTW, LILO and grub can boot other operating systems without all this
silliness.  You may wish to look into using one of those.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
-----------------------------/           --Henry Spencer

Extended partition trouble

Post by peracch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >Hi everbody, Please help, I've got myself in a bad problem. ANY
> >comments/help is much appreciated. In short, I installed win98se in one
> >partition (primary), a few days later, i installed linux (eDesktop 2.4)
> >in a logical partition inside a extended partition. System Commander
> >controls the boot process.  After boot in linux, the system will not
> >boot anymore unless i use some program to mark the first primary
> >partition as active. ? Now, if the When i choose boot the linux in
> >hda7, System Commander marks hda4 (extended) and hda7 as bootable.
> >After i reboot the system, System Commander don't appear anymore.
> >Instead i receive a message asking for a boot/system disk. I

> Odd, but I think this hackaround will work:

> 0. Use fdisk within Linux to set /dev/hda1 as active.
> 1. dd if=/dev/hda of=/sbin/hackboot.raw bs=512 count=1
> 2. Edit the shutdown script (/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt on RedHat,
> /sbin/init.d/halt on SuSE, no idea for Caldera) so that it includes the
> following line somewhere before the "halt" command:
>   dd if=/sbin/hackboot.raw of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

> BTW, LILO and grub can boot other operating systems without all this
> silliness.  You may wish to look into using one of those.

> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
> http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
> -----------------------------/           --Henry Spencer

Thanks for the tip! I imagine that one solution would be something before
linux reboots, but don't know what to do. I found that the problem is a bug
in System Commander. I installed BootMagic (from Powerquest) and works ok.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Extended partition trouble

[...]

2. testing for arguments in aliases

3. Lilo, OS/2, extended partition troubles

4. LILO and booting without a video card

5. Trouble changing extended partition size

6. KDevelop on IRIX?

7. Trouble accessing MSDOS extended partitions

8. CDE Crashes

9. Extending an extended partition.

10. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

11. Logical Partitions on an Extended Partition

12. Root Partition on an extended partition

13. DOS extended partition -> swap partition