linux in a 486 with 125 Megs Hard Drive

Post by Mahesh S Krishn » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a 486 33 MhZ with 20 Megs RAM and I'd like to install linux
on it. As I understand, since I'm only going to be using the terminal
for X-Windows, the cpu speed  is not so important. Is this true ?

Also, my pc has only 125 Megs of hard disc sapce. Since I'm only going
to be using it as an X- term to telnet to a SPARC 10 and work,
 I'd like to erase DOS, WIndows and just install linux on it.
Is there a compact version of linux that uses say 100 Megs that is sufficent to
run X- windows on my pc ?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
mahesh

1. linux in a 486 with 125 Megs hard drive

Hi,

I have a 486 33 MhZ with 20 Megs RAM and I'd like to install linux
on it. As I understand, since I'm only going to be using the terminal
for X-Windows, the cpu speed  is not so important. Is this true ?

Also, my pc has only 125 Megs of hard disc sapce. Since I'm only going
to be using it as an X- term to telnet to a SPARC 10 and work,
 I'd like to erase DOS, WIndows and just install linux on it.
Is there a compact version of linux that uses say 100 Megs that is sufficent to
run X- windows on my pc ?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
mahesh

2. pppd on Open Server 5.0.2

3. Linux on 486 with 4 megs ram and 504 meg harddrive??

4. ppp

5. Pentium with 16 Meg ram or 486 with 32 Meg ram

6. SuSE kernel....where is it?....

7. Help installing linux SLS on a 486 with 2 hard drives

8. Help - need C compiler for Solaris

9. Can't put Linux on a 486 with older BIOS and large hard drive?

10. Linux hard drive problems with an old 486

11. 486 Linux setup, 250 meg HD, which distro ???

12. Hard Drive Size Limit on old 486

13. 8 Gig Hard Drive On an old BIOS system (486 HP Vectra)?