Applying patches, newbie questions

Post by ?rjan Johansso » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 07:15:33

Hi all!

I am fairly new to Linux and have survived thanks to rpm's. Now I
downloaded a src.rpm-package of rdesktop, and that contained a bunch of
files.
I figure now is as good a time as any to learn how to build and install
properly...

The package contained a traditional tar.gz file, but also a few patch
files. Here's the list:
rdesktop-1.0.0.tar.gz
rdesktop-endian.patch
rdesktop-opt.patch
rdesktop.spec
rdesktop-unified-patch19-6.bz2

What should I do with these files? I assume the tar.gz contains the
original release and the other files patches it to the latest version,
but I'm confused as to how to work with packages like these. I realize
this is probably really trivial to most of you, but if anyone could point
me to any resources like how tos or url's that explain tasks like these,
I'd be really grateful!

Any input welcome!

TIA,
Orjan

Post by cll muz » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:01:36

> Hi all!

> I am fairly new to Linux and have survived thanks to rpm's. Now I
> downloaded a src.rpm-package of rdesktop, and that contained a bunch of
> files.
> I figure now is as good a time as any to learn how to build and install
> properly...

> The package contained a traditional tar.gz file, but also a few patch
> files. Here's the list:
> rdesktop-1.0.0.tar.gz
> rdesktop-endian.patch
> rdesktop-opt.patch
> rdesktop.spec
> rdesktop-unified-patch19-6.bz2

> What should I do with these files? I assume the tar.gz contains the
> original release and the other files patches it to the latest version,
> but I'm confused as to how to work with packages like these. I realize
> this is probably really trivial to most of you, but if anyone could
> point me to any resources like how tos or url's that explain tasks like
> these, I'd be really grateful!

> Any input welcome!

> TIA,
> Orjan

man patch
read any README or INSTALL or other likely files which come with the
programmes.
Read the patches (They can be read in any editor) -- perhaps they have
comments which describe what the patches do and how to apply them.
In general, go to the directory containing the files to be patched, and
run
patch -p1 <[path-to-patch-file] /*without the [] */
If p1 doesn't work, try p0, p2 -- etc

Applying patches, newbie questions

Post by ?rjan Johansso » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 02:59:57

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Applying patches, newbie questions:

> > Hi all!

> > I am fairly new to Linux and have survived thanks to rpm's. Now I
> > downloaded a src.rpm-package of rdesktop, and that contained a bunch of
> > files.
> > I figure now is as good a time as any to learn how to build and install
> > properly...

> > The package contained a traditional tar.gz file, but also a few patch
> > files. Here's the list:
> > rdesktop-1.0.0.tar.gz
> > rdesktop-endian.patch
> > rdesktop-opt.patch
> > rdesktop.spec
> > rdesktop-unified-patch19-6.bz2

> > What should I do with these files? I assume the tar.gz contains the
> > original release and the other files patches it to the latest version,
> > but I'm confused as to how to work with packages like these. I realize
> > this is probably really trivial to most of you, but if anyone could
> > point me to any resources like how tos or url's that explain tasks like
> > these, I'd be really grateful!

> > Any input welcome!

> > TIA,
> > Orjan
> man patch
> read any README or INSTALL or other likely files which come with the
> programmes.
> Read the patches (They can be read in any editor) -- perhaps they have
> comments which describe what the patches do and how to apply them.
> In general, go to the directory containing the files to be patched, and
> run
> patch -p1 <[path-to-patch-file] /*without the [] */
> If p1 doesn't work, try p0, p2 -- etc

Thanx, I'll dig in to the man page!

1. Newbie question: how to apply a .diff patch?

Sorry if this is insultingly simple, but I have read the man for "patch"
several times and connot figure out how to apply a diff patch to a
directory structure.

Here are the details.

I installed java from blackdown (jdk1.1.7v1a) into a directory called
/usr/local/jdk117v1a

Also at the blackdown site was a jdk1.1.7v1a.diff file. How can I apply
this file to the java directories?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. rsh guru req'd!

3. apply *both* patches? (newbie question)

4. QUESTION: Clustered shutdown

5. Year 2000 patch: to apply or not to apply?

6. No CD Bootup option for installation..Help!

7. newbie tip: howto apply patches "remotely" (like for your notebook)

8. Sound Galaxy Pro 16

9. 2.6 cron patch broken (after applying Y2K patch) ?

10. Recommended patch cluster - patch not applied

11. compiling 1.2.13 after applying io.h patch and elf patch

12. Applying kernel patches questions

13. Question: How do you tell what patches have been applied to the os?