Fax modem, etc

Post by Steve J Emme » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I've currently got a Linux box at home that I've used for over a year.
My wife has a M$oft machine that is going to be upgraded.  I'm in the
process of doing a trade study for her and have got to answer a few
questions before I can convince here that a Linux box is the way for her
to go.

She is a great fan of Wordperfect and WILL NOT give it up. Does the
caldera suite provide Wordperfect that is file compatible with
M$DOS/windows files?

She likes Powerpoint - is there a package (either shareware or for
purchase) that is close toequivalent?

She relies heavily on her fax modem and Winfax Pro 4.  She also has a
scanner that is used to get docuemnts into a form Winfax can use.  There
is something comparable (shareware/purchase) under Linux?

Hey, if I can get answers that will satisfy here, I can have a network
at home that will have 2 linux boxes and a DEC alpha!

Just thing, ten years ago, we were estatic with a 640k 286!

Thanks for the help

Steve

George Mason University
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    "A mind that is stretched to a new idea
     never returns to its original dimension."

Fax modem, etc

Post by Tom Brun » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I've currently got a Linux box at home that I've used for over a year.
> My wife has a M$oft machine that is going to be upgraded.  I'm in the
> process of doing a trade study for her and have got to answer a few
> questions before I can convince here that a Linux box is the way for her
> to go.

> She is a great fan of Wordperfect and WILL NOT give it up. Does the
> caldera suite provide Wordperfect that is file compatible with
> M$DOS/windows files?

>(remainder deleted)

The file formats for WP6/M$ and WP6/Linux are entirely compatible
(to the best of my knowledge). My experience with WP/Linux is that it
loads WP/M$ files as if they were its own (and vice versa).

My only complaint is that unlike WP6/M$, WP6/Linux won't (at least at
present) export to M$ Word. It has limited ability to import Word files
(e.g. it has major bugs with Word 6.0 files).

I'd heard a *rumor* sometime back that WP had a reputation for crashing
every operating system it ran on. I've yet to see it crash Linux,
though! The closest it's gotten is on one occasion when tried to print a
file and ran out of memory (because I'd been playing around and had
inadvertently disabled virtual memory). Everything froze, I got some
video garbage and the hard drive began running like mad. I left things
as they were and came back 20 minutes later to find the hard drive
quiet, the mouse unfrozen and WP terminated. I fired WP back up and got
a dialogue box allowing me to load the temp file that WP had saved all
of my changes to!

        /Tom

--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed herein are my own and in no way represent
those

Fax modem, etc

Post by s. keeli » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I've currently got a Linux box at home that I've used for over a year.
> My wife has a M$oft machine that is going to be upgraded.  I'm in the
> Hey, if I can get answers that will satisfy here, I can have a network
> at home that will have 2 linux boxes and a DEC alpha!

If she wants to use Windows, you shouldn't stand in her way.  One Linux
box, one Windows machine, and a DEC Alpha would be a fun network to play
with too.  Of course, you could put Linux on the Alpha too  ...

--

Fax modem, etc

Post by Filipe Custodi » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> She likes Powerpoint - is there a package (either shareware or for
> purchase) that is close toequivalent?

There is XFig (freeware), but I don't know if you can call it 'close to =

equivalent'.

Quote:> She relies heavily on her fax modem and Winfax Pro 4.  She also has a
> scanner that is used to get docuemnts into a form Winfax can use.  There
> is something comparable (shareware/purchase) under Linux?

There is Hylafax (freeware) to send & receive faxes with Linux. It sends =

and receives postscript files.

Quote:> Hey, if I can get answers that will satisfy here, I can have a network
> at home that will have 2 linux boxes and a DEC alpha!

Maybe the best would be to keep the Windows box anyway. Windows 95 is a =

great easy-to-use client machine. You could then setup the Linux box to =

act as a file & fax server.

-- =

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Fax modem, etc

Post by Sam Trenhol » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[Mailed and posted]

Re: What to do when the wife wants Wordperfect.

There are a lot of options here:

* You can get Linux Wordperfect, and have your wife use it.
  Note that Linux Wordperfect is still rather unstable at this point.
  (Unlike unstable Win95 apps, it doesn't bring the whole system down)

  Details:

        http://www.caldera.com

* You can get Exceed, and run X applications in Windows 95.
  Note that Exceed is still slightly unstable at this point.  And will bring
  the system down when it crashes.

  Details:

        http://www.hummingbird.com:80/realindex.html

* You can dual boot, and do both.

Quote:>If she wants to use Windows, you shouldn't stand in her way.  One Linux
>box, one Windows machine, and a DEC Alpha would be a fun network to play
>with too.  Of course, you could put Linux on the Alpha too  ...

Fax modem, etc

Post by Eric Vough » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> She likes Powerpoint - is there a package (either shareware or for
> purchase) that is close toequivalent?

Applix produces an office suite for Linux that contains a presentation
package. Check out: http://www.applix.com

_