Maxtor Hard Disk for Win95 only ?!!

Post by Marcelo Rodrigu » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

   I have not used an IDE hard disk for at least five years. I went out
to buy one to use as temporary storage for Amanda ( the network backup
software, if I may put a plug for them, see www.amanda.org )  but I was
startled to see a prominent badge warning that you must have Windows 95
or above.  The drive I'm interested in is a13GB drive and is at a pretty
good price. My first reaction is that the warning is there because
older OS, say Win 3.x, may not see the whole drive. On the other
hand, there is the slight chance that this may not the whole story.
Thus, before I buy a dud, I'd like to know if this drive will work with
Linux, especially when it says that it is a UDMA dirve and I only have
an older straight IDE controller to tie it to.

Thanks,
Marcelo

Post by Joey Wetheringt » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Hello,

>   I have not used an IDE hard disk for at least five years. I went out
>to buy one to use as temporary storage for Amanda ( the network backup
>software, if I may put a plug for them, see www.amanda.org )  but I was
>startled to see a prominent badge warning that you must have Windows 95
>or above.  The drive I'm interested in is a13GB drive and is at a pretty
>good price. My first reaction is that the warning is there because
>older OS, say Win 3.x, may not see the whole drive. On the other
>hand, there is the slight chance that this may not the whole story.
>Thus, before I buy a dud, I'd like to know if this drive will work with
>Linux, especially when it says that it is a UDMA dirve and I only have
>an older straight IDE controller to tie it to.

I *suspect* that the only possible downside is that a UDMA drive
plugged into an older IDE system will not run as fast as it could --
it'll run as fast as any other IDE drive you could hook up to that
system, but you would lose the UDMA benefits.

Somebody with more insight into the UDMA/old IDE relationship will be
along later, I'm sure, to provide definitive and trustworthy
information on this subject.

But as to the Win95 warning on the drive, that really only refers to
earlier Microsoft product's inability to see large devices as you
suspected. I'm running Linux on several
(used-to-be-large-but-now-seem-small) Maxtor UDMA drives., including
one in a machine that still has its "Win98" sticker on the front. Got
to remember to rip that thing off when I go in Monday.

Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free
trip around the Sun.

Post by David Goldstei » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

>    I have not used an IDE hard disk for at least five years. I went out
> to buy one to use as temporary storage for Amanda ( the network backup
> software, if I may put a plug for them, see www.amanda.org )  but I was
> startled to see a prominent badge warning that you must have Windows 95
> or above.  The drive I'm interested in is a13GB drive and is at a pretty
> good price. My first reaction is that the warning is there because
> older OS, say Win 3.x, may not see the whole drive. On the other
> hand, there is the slight chance that this may not the whole story.
> Thus, before I buy a dud, I'd like to know if this drive will work with
> Linux, especially when it says that it is a UDMA dirve and I only have
> an older straight IDE controller to tie it to.

> Thanks,
> Marcelo

  If you have any problems, it will be with your BIOS.  Linux can handle
any HD that you can throw at it.  The reason that the package states
Win95 or above is because Win 3.1 cannot address that much HD space.  Of
course, Win95 cannot either and you will have to partition the HD into
2.1 GB chunks for Win95.  There are a few products on the market that do
have Linux listed as an OS that can use product X.  My network cards and
hub, for example, have it prominently displayed. If you do not see this,
check the hardware compatibility list for the product that you wish to
purchase.

David Goldstein

Post by Neil Kooze » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

>    I have not used an IDE hard disk for at least five years. I went out
> to buy one to use as temporary storage for Amanda ( the network backup
> software, if I may put a plug for them, see www.amanda.org )  but I was
> startled to see a prominent badge warning that you must have Windows 95
> or above.

Linux is 'above' :)

Quote:> The drive I'm interested in is a13GB drive and is at a pretty
> good price. My first reaction is that the warning is there because
> older OS, say Win 3.x, may not see the whole drive. On the other
> hand, there is the slight chance that this may not the whole story.
> Thus, before I buy a dud, I'd like to know if this drive will work with
> Linux, especially when it says that it is a UDMA dirve and I only have
> an older straight IDE controller to tie it to.

No problem.  All the newer IDE drives are backward compatible with older
ATA standards.  ATA4 includes ATA3, ATA3 includes ATA2, ...

I have a Maxtor 17gb, and it works very nicely with linux and a 430TX
m/b.

There are some m/b chipsets that work better with some drives than
others; I have 2 computers with VIA mvp3 chipsets, and those are
marginal enough that you have to pick & choose drives.

Neil.

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> There are some m/b chipsets that work better with some drives than
> others; I have 2 computers with VIA mvp3 chipsets, and those are
> marginal enough that you have to pick & choose drives.

Really?  Hmm, I have an Epox mainboard with the VIA mvp3, and it works
just great with a couple of Western Digital drives (8 and 13 G.)  Seems
to be better-behaved than the ALi 1543, at least.  I guess I'll watch
out when it comes time to upgrade my drives in a year or so....

--MG

1. Hard Disk Jumper Question on Maxtor IDE as second disk

I just picked up a new system and wanted to add my old Maxtor
7213AT (203Mb) as a second IDE disk. Since I have no documentation
I was wondering if someone out there had run this drive as a 2nd
disk. Is there a jumper to set in order to get this drive to act like
a second disk?

The current system is a packard bell pentium system with dual IDE
connectors, one for standard IDE, one for PCI IDE. The primary drive
is a seagate 1080Mb running off the PCI connector. The docs seem to
indicate that each connector can handle two disks.

+-Erik Kleinbussink ------------------------------------+

|                                                       |
|                                                       |

3. Slackware install on 2/1 Gb Win95 Maxtor disk; NEC CD-ROM; AMD

4. sock_init_data doesn't initialise

5. 36 GB Maxtor Hard disk install HELP!!

6. Unix user group list

7. Maxtor Hard Disk Problems

8. trouble running fips

9. Q:MAXTOR Hard Disk

10. Maxtor 1.2M IDE hard disk

11. Maxtor 98196H8 Hard disk size wrong

12. 120GB Maxtor 4G120J6 Hard Disk support

13. Does anyone have Maxtor Hard disk 30 go who has a problem to install Red Hat?