Incoming fax and outgoing PPP ???

Post by David By » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'm having a problem getting incoming fax and outgoing PPP connections
on the same modem.  I can get mgetty to answer the fax, and I can get
outgoing PPP, but not both at the same time.  It seems that when
mgetty is watching the line, chat isn't able to dial out.  Seyon
can dial out while mgetty is running however.

If you have a clue, please send it my way.  I'm stumped as to what to
try.

Thanks,
Dave

Post by Klaus Lichtenwalde » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I'm having a problem getting incoming fax and outgoing PPP connections
> on the same modem.  I can get mgetty to answer the fax, and I can get
> outgoing PPP, but not both at the same time.  It seems that when
> mgetty is watching the line, chat isn't able to dial out.  Seyon
> can dial out while mgetty is running however.

Well, looks like you're not using ttyS* devices only. With mgetty,
*only* use ttyS* devices, as said in the documentation. And also keep
in mind, you have to use the same definition of the LCK-File. Newer
pppd's place it somewhere down /var/..., while mgetty (don't know the
newer versions, though), put it somewhere under /usr/...

Klaus

 Check out Oregon vs. Schwartz:  http://www.lightlink.com/spacenka/fors

Post by Al Longye » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I'm having a problem getting incoming fax and outgoing PPP connections
>on the same modem.  I can get mgetty to answer the fax, and I can get
>outgoing PPP, but not both at the same time.  It seems that when
>mgetty is watching the line, chat isn't able to dial out.  Seyon
>can dial out while mgetty is running however.
>If you have a clue, please send it my way.  I'm stumped as to what to
>try.

Run chat only from within the pppd process as a option to 'connect'.
Then use the 'lock' option.

See the examples in ppp-2.2.0f.tar.gz.

The problem is that if you attempt to run chat first and then run pppd,
the lock will be incorrect. This will cause mgetty to think that the
lock owner has died and take over the serial port.

For what it is worth, we run mgetty and pppd for both dial-in and dial-out
modes. I don't have a need to receive faxes, but I trust that mgetty would
work with fax input.

--

Post by Unix Consulti » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

:
[...]

I run pppd with diald and uucp.  I can dial out and establish the ppp
connection to my ISP, I can dial out and esatblish a UUCP connection, and I
can also receive FAX transmissions via mgetty!  It's a matter to choosing
the correct device (ttyS1 in my case, the cua* devices are not even present
on my system!) and making sure that every process uses the same lock file!

:
: --

--
-------- Thomas Bullinger ------- Specializing in Linux systems --------
* Installation * Setup * Maintenance * Training * Software * Information

* WWW:   http://btoy1-gw.roc.servtech.com/users/consult

1. PPP load balancing works for incoming but not outgoing???

Hello,

I have PPP eql load balancing setup and running using the drivers built into
kernel 2.0.25.  For incoming traffic (ie downloading) I get nearly full
bandwidth of both modems.  For outgoing transfers, I get data going out of
only one modem (based on transfer speed and watching the modem lights).
Interestingly, returning data seems to come in on the 'other' modem (the one
that is not sending outgoing data).

I have this box setup for IP_forwarding and it is used as a router for a
small network.  I have noticed that this "two channels in, one channel out"
behaviour is the same when the data originates from the linux server itself or
one of it's client workstations.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has seen this same behaviour
OR anyone who can use multiple channels in both directions.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Randy Moore

2. Memory restrictions

3. Linux PPP incoming/outgoing problems

4. port forwarding

5. osave of outgoing and incoming data by ppp

6. audio - help

7. PPP: Does outgoing traffic slow incoming traffic?

8. auto ftping

9. How to rewrite only the port on incoming/outgoing packets

10. Incoming and outgoing bandwidth limiting

11. Incoming and outgoing Packets under Solaris2.6

12. Q: SuSE 6.3: sendmail: outgoing OK & incoming fails

13. Difference between incoming and outgoing transferrates