Turning 'ping' off, please help.

Post by Lew Pitch » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>If I _do not_ want my computers to return a ping (besides turning them off)
>how to I disable ping?

I'd say that one way would be to install an IP firewall
(ipfwadm or ipchains) and disable ICMP echo replies using the firewall rules.

There's probably other ways as well.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

Post by Ali Bharma » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> If I _do not_ want my computers to return a ping (besides turning them off)
> how to I disable ping?

Firewall them or diable the UDP port (7 IIRC). How you do the latter is a
little beyond me.

--
Me

Post by Lew Pitche » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > If I _do not_ want my computers to return a ping (besides turning them off)
> > how to I disable ping?

> Firewall them or diable the UDP port (7 IIRC). How you do the latter is a
> little beyond me.

UDP port 7 is used by the 'echo' server, which has *nothing* to do with
ping (ICMP echo). A UDP packet sent to port 7 will be returned verbatim,
but this is not a ping.

You should be able to disable the echo server by removing it from your
system startup (if it's started standalone), or by removing it from your
Inetd superserver (/etc/inetd.conf). But this doesn't prevent ICMP from
generating ICMP echo replies ('ping' replies).