NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

Post by Trent Coo » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a linux system running.  Had a VERY basic ipchains script running
fine, with a machine inside of the linux box.  I was surfing through it fine
last night at 12:00, then at 6:30 this morning I notice something died.  Odd
seeing as how it had only been a few hours, the machine wasnt even rebooted,
let alone changed in any way at all.

What I noticed is this error:
eth0: transmit timed out, status 0073, resetting

I can ping the 127.0.0.1 address, (from local machine of course) but cant
even ping either of the ip addys from the installed nics, let alone any
address on the internet.

I have tried rebooting, restarting network, disabling ipchains altogether,
altering ip addys and configs, etc.

Please let me know if you have seen this happen, or if I should just
reinstall.  Hopefully not as it is an odd error, and I would hate for it to
happen again.

I have two different nics installed and both were working fine, now
everything seems to be blasted? (pcnet32 and 8390 {ne2k-pci})
When I lsmod both modules for the NICs are still loading up fine as well.

I appreciate ANY feedback you can offer, or any tips at all.

Trent

NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have a linux system running.

[much snippage]

You posted this same message separately to at least one other group. I
answered it there. In future, when you post to multiple groups, please
cross-post rather than post separately. Cross-posting ensures that
people see (and download) a message only once, and allows for a more
unified thread of responses. In other words, it's far less wasteful of
peoples' time. Of course, you shouldn't post a message to more than one
or two groups, normally, by ANY means.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

1. NIC Blowout???NEWBIE

[...]

2. mounting forms on lp ??????

3. Null Files

4. CD R Media Blowout at Good Prices

5. ANDREW Benchmark on Linux?

6. FS:Sparc 20 BlowOut! $409.00 ........

7. RH8, WD 120G drive, Promise Ultra66, VS440FX, mke2fs hangs

8. 4.5GB SSA Blowout!

9. FS:Cisco Switch BlowOut! $495.00

10. System Blowouts