COMMERCIAL: Linux World - new Linux magazine

Post by Mark Hamstr » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

> Announcing issue 1 of Linux World , worlds first PC magazine with Linux
> 'bias' .

Hmmm... so how capable of providing quality Linux information is an editorial staff
that has never heard of the Linux Journal?

Mark

-*-*-----------------------------*-*-
-*-*-*-- Win a FREE Alpha!!! --*-*-*-
-*-*- http://www.redhat.com/dtc -*-*-
-*-*-----------------------------*-*-

Post by Dave Pearso » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

> > Announcing issue 1 of Linux World , worlds first PC magazine with Linux
> > 'bias' .

> Hmmm... so how capable of providing quality Linux information is an
> editorial st aff that has never heard of the Linux Journal?

I was wondering about that too. And there were a couple of other things
that got me thinking, like, the fact that they said they would have all
these well known people writing for it, but no details of who these
people might be, and that distributors round the world are involved,
but no details of who they are.

I think the other thing that put me off happened just now. I phoned them
up to get more details and perhaps place a subscription but there was
no answer. Ho hum.

I must get round to making that call to the states and getting a
subscription to the Linux Journal.....

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |     w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard  |  ng2html - The NG to HTML converter.

Post by Michael K. Johns » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

>> > Announcing issue 1 of Linux World , worlds first PC magazine with Linux
>> > 'bias' .

>> Hmmm... so how capable of providing quality Linux information is an
>> editorial staff that has never heard of the Linux Journal?

:-)

Quote:>I was wondering about that too. And there were a couple of other things
>that got me thinking, like, the fact that they said they would have all
>these well known people writing for it, but no details of who these
>people might be, and that distributors round the world are involved,
>but no details of who they are.

Speaking from experience, I can say that it can be very
difficult to get all those well-known Linux people to write.

On the other hand, it looked to me like they were going to try
to get people who already write for PC rags to contribute to
their linux-oriented rag.  That's a bit different than what
I've done with LJ.  Most people who write for LJ have never
written for a magazine before; we just do our best to edit the
articles until they look like they were written by
professionals.

LJ's approach is certainly more labor-intensive, so I can
understand why they are taking the approach that they are
taking.  And if the Linux community really is growing into the
user community that wants the fluffier articles that generally
show up in PC rags, that's a very good thing in my opinion --
it will show definite, serious growth in the Linux community.

I get the impression that LJ isn't nearly as well known in the
rest of the world as it is in the US.  I would have expected
that our readership would have been nearly as large in the rest
of the world as it is in the US, but that's definitely not the
case.  Many Linux users in Europe have never heard of Linux
Journal, which continues to amaze this very biased observer...

I wish Linux World the best of luck, and hope that they serve
the Linux community well enough to deserve to survive.  I don't
think that they are really competition for Linux Journal; I think
that they are more likely to help the Linux market grow, and that
we'll end up with even more Linux users who want to read the mix
of material that LJ provides, as well as people who prefer
Linux World.

--
michaelkjohnson

"Ever wonder why the SAME PEOPLE make up ALL the * theories?"

Post by James McPherso » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

> SUBSCRIPTION

> 1 year introductory price 30 UKP ( UK only )
> pleas contact us for pricing in USA , Europe and rest of the World .

what is your rate for Australia?
thanks,
jcm
> CONTACT

> Linux World
> European Dream Ltd
> 66 Maxted Road
> London
> SE15 4LF
> United Kingdom
> tel: +171 771 6170

> for European Dream Ltd and Linux World ,

>    Linux World is subsidary of European Dream Ltd

COMMERCIAL: Linux World - new Linux magazine

Post by Dave Pearso » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> On the other hand, it looked to me like they were going to try to
> get people who already write for PC rags to contribute to their
> linux-oriented rag.  That's a bit different than what I've done with
> LJ.  Most people who write for LJ have never written for a magazine
> before; we just do our best to edit the articles until they look
> like they were written by professionals.

You are correct, I mailed the guy about my problems getting hold of them
via phone and he mailed me back and listed some of the people involved,
some of the names I knew were indeed current writes for other PC mags.
At least one of them has been a "champion" of Linux in a leading UK
PC magazine.

BTW, for anyone interested, the reason I could not get them on the phone
is they don't open the office until Monday (I was calling on Friday) and
it seems the c.o.l.a announcement went out earlier than they intended.

Quote:> LJ's approach is certainly more labor-intensive, so I can understand
> why they are taking the approach that they are taking.  And if the
> Linux community really is growing into the user community that wants
> the fluffier articles that generally show up in PC rags, that's a
> very good thing in my opinion -- it will show definite, serious
> growth in the Linux community.

I agree with you there, if it is a good mag, and survives, this can only
be a good sign IMHO.

Quote:> I get the impression that LJ isn't nearly as well known in the rest
> of the world as it is in the US.  I would have expected that our
> readership would have been nearly as large in the rest of the world
> as it is in the US, but that's definitely not the case.  Many Linux
> users in Europe have never heard of Linux Journal, which continues
> to amaze this very biased observer...

Well, I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but I got to know about
the Linux Journal just after I got into Linux (touch over a year ago).
The only reason I've never got round to getting a subscription is
it takes a call to the states to get it, and I'm lazy and it costs. If
I could have got a subscription here in the UK I'd have been getting
it from day one.

As it is, I finally got round to phoning up and getting a sub yesterday.
Better late then never I guess.

Quote:> I wish Linux World the best of luck, and hope that they serve the
> Linux community well enough to deserve to survive.  I don't think
> that they are really competition for Linux Journal; I think that
> they are more likely to help the Linux market grow, and that we'll
> end up with even more Linux users who want to read the mix of
> material that LJ provides, as well as people who prefer Linux World.

You are right, I don't think they will be competition, and besides,
I don't know about anyone else but I buy more than one PC mag each
month anyway, even if they were competition I'd still buy both. I'm
looking forward to having two mags to read about my favourate OS and
favourate passtime real soon now.

--

Post by Russell Nels » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

> Announcing issue 1 of Linux World , worlds first PC magazine with Linux
> 'bias' .

Interesting.  Are you going to be the editor?

--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 voice | It's no mistake to err on

Post by Michael K. Johns » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

>Well, I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but I got to know about
>the Linux Journal just after I got into Linux (touch over a year ago).
>The only reason I've never got round to getting a subscription is
>it takes a call to the states to get it, and I'm lazy and it costs. If
>I could have got a subscription here in the UK I'd have been getting
>it from day one.

Although you bit the bullet and phoned in your subscription,
I'd like to let everyone else know: you can also subscribe with

like to send credit card numbers via email, we understand --
and we have a PGP key (which I've included below) that you can

as they can be more helpful than I can.

michaelkjohnson

"Ever wonder why the SAME PEOPLE make up ALL the * theories?"

COMMERCIAL: Linux World - new Linux magazine

Post by mynam » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> michaelkjohnson

> "Ever wonder why the SAME PEOPLE make up ALL the * theories?"

Hmm.. interesting - But WHY would the CIA want to make up ALL the
best theories? :-)

Seri-mously ... it would still be nice if we could get this sort
of thing in this country - perhaps via a friendly linux distributor
who wouldn't think of a number -  double it and only then write
the price sticker...

Some people no longer trust plastic in any form. (Although I'd be
happy to encrypt with PGP V2.3)

-john- (UK)

Post by Grant Edwar » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

: >> > Announcing issue 1 of Linux World , worlds first PC magazine with
: >> > Linux 'bias' .

: >> Hmmm... so how capable of providing quality Linux information is an
: >> editorial staff that has never heard of the Linux Journal?

: :-)

: >I was wondering about that too. And there were a couple of other things
: >that got me thinking, like, the fact that they said they would have all
: >these well known people writing for it, but no details of who these people
: >might be, and that distributors round the world are involved, but no
: >details of who they are.

: Speaking from experience, I can say that it can be very difficult to get
: all those well-known Linux people to write.

: On the other hand, it looked to me like they were going to try to get
: people who already write for PC rags to contribute to their linux-oriented
: rag.

Which makes some of us wonder why we'd want to read it.  We read an article
in LJ because the author of the article knows more about the subject than we
do.  I don't know where they're going to get well known writers from PC mags
who know enough about Linux to make the articles worth reading.  A guy can
only take so much of Jerry Pournelle's pet names.

None of the PC magazines have been worth reading since schematics stopped
showing up in Byte and Dr. Dobbs changed their name from "Dr. Dobbs Journal
of Computer Calisthenics and Orthodontia."

: That's a bit different than what I've done with LJ.  Most people who write
: for LJ have never written for a magazine before;

Hey, I resemble that remark...

: we just do our best to edit the articles until they look like they were
: written by professionals.

[...]

--
Grant Edwards        | Microsoft isn't the   | Yow!  Should I get locked in
Rosemount Inc.       | answer. Microsoft     | the PRINCICAL'S OFFICE today
                     | is the question, and  | -- or have a VASECTOMY??

COMMERCIAL: Linux World - new Linux magazine

Post by mynam » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> None of the PC magazines have been worth reading since schematics stopped
> showing up in Byte and Dr. Dobbs changed their name from "Dr. Dobbs Journal
> of Computer Calisthenics and Orthodontia."

funny you should say that - I stopped buying byte just after they
got rid of Steve Circia ... that mag went down like a ton of bricks
thereafter...

Of course PC mags in the UK aren't worth the trees they're stamped
on either... It was interesting to hear another opinion on this.

-john-

Post by Gary Curti » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

> Although you bit the bullet and phoned in your subscription,
> I'd like to let everyone else know: you can also subscribe with

> like to send credit card numbers via email, we understand --
> and we have a PGP key (which I've included below) that you can

> as they can be more helpful than I can.

> michaelkjohnson

I'd like to subscribe but I'm not happy with email and I haven't
worked out PGP yet.  If you had an ASCII text order form I could
download, I would fill it in and fax it.  It would also be available
for others to snail-mail if necessary.

Ta, Gaz

 Loganholme  Qld  4129       AUSTRALIA

COMMERCIAL: Linux World - new Linux magazine

Post by Nick Kralevi » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to subscribe but I'm not happy with email and I haven't
>worked out PGP yet.  If you had an ASCII text order form I could
>download, I would fill it in and fax it.  It would also be available
>for others to snail-mail if necessary.

They have the form available online.  Check out
http://www.ssc.com/lj/ljsubsorder.html and follow the link that says
"you can download a [text version], and send it".

The URL for the text version is http://www.ssc.com/lj/subs.txt

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich

   (who just ordered his subscription to LJ today.  I hope it's worth it.)

Post by Martin Galla » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

>None of the PC magazines have been worth reading since schematics
>stopped showing up in Byte and Dr. Dobbs changed their name from
>"Dr. Dobbs Journal of Computer Calisthenics and Orthodontia."

I agree.  Stopped subscribing to Byte when the first IBM PCs came out
about 10 years (or so) ago and dropped their early adopter personal
computing and hardware design approach.  (BTW, I'm a software guy.)

Picked up the latest issue of Byte from the grocery store this weekend,
with this flashy cover headline "Unix vs. NT, Which Side are You On?".

What a piece of crap.  Are the McGraw Hill people in love with M$ or
something?  Just think of how many MIS managers out there are eating
this stuff up and treating this information as gospel.

Keep your slides up to date people.

--
Marty

Post by Liam R. E. Qu » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

> None of the PC magazines have been worth reading since schematics stopped
> showing up in Byte and Dr. Dobbs changed their name from "Dr. Dobbs Journal
> of Computer Calisthenics and Orthodontia."

[...]

Quote:> Of course PC mags in the UK aren't worth the trees they're stamped
> on either... It was interesting to hear another opinion on this.

They're better than most of the North American ones... You very rarely
see a negative review in a North American computer magazine, usually
because they're afraid of upsetting their advertisers.  And even rarer
is an article that says ``don't buy this, get such-and-such instead''.
The CD-ROMs on the covers of the British magazines are usually better put
together than the North American ones, too, with a wrapper and sometimes
an installer... instead of an undocumented collection of shareware...

I sometimes read PCW (Personal Computer World, UK magazine), although
it's too expensive to buy here often.  It does sometimes talk about Linux,
although I'd say that most readers of this newsgroup probably would learn
relativelylittle from it.

Byte surprised me recently by running an article about how someone moved
his COBOL programs from a mainframe to a SPARC environment and was
happy with the result.  They normally don't talk about anything that's
not the very latest Unix system, as if it was a fashion fad.  And when
they do mention Unix, these days it's in a comparison to Windows NT.

SunExpert wasn't too bad last time I looked, and although of course it's
not exactly Linux-oriented :-), it _is_ Unix-oriented.  You used to be
able to get a free subscripption fairly easily if you worked somewhere
that Sun or other Unix equipment was used.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, SoftQuad Inc    | lq-text freely available Unix text retrieval

SGML: http://www.sq.com/   |`Consider yourself... one of the family...
The barefoot programmer    | consider yourself... At Home!' [the Artful Dodger]

Post by Michael K. Johns » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>: On the other hand, it looked to me like they were going to try to get
>: people who already write for PC rags to contribute to their linux-oriented
>: rag.

>Which makes some of us wonder why we'd want to read it.  We read an article
>in LJ because the author of the article knows more about the subject than we
>do.  I don't know where they're going to get well known writers from PC mags
>who know enough about Linux to make the articles worth reading.  A guy can
>only take so much of Jerry Pournelle's pet names.

Well, there are obviously *some* people who at least subscribe
to the PC mags...

Not you, not me, but those magazines survive just fine.  In
fact, probably more easily than LJ, since their readers are
more willing to spend money on what's being advertised.  The
cynic in me says, "That's hardly surprising, since they have
already bought the fluff magazine..." but that's not really
fair, I guess.

If Linux is to achieve "world domination, fast", then it needs
to attract those users who like fluff as well as those of us
who already use it.

So the people who enjoy what those writers are writing about
Windows will probably be interested in what they write about
Linux.  We'll see.