hard drive duplication

Post by bt new » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 02:31:37

hard drive duplication

I have several hard drives I need to mirror, but the problem is there are
different sizes i.e 10Gb and 36Gb.  I am trying to find some duplication
software that will allow a image of the master drive and stored either on a
self-booting CD or access across a network.  We have bought a copy of Ghost
but it seams to have a problem re-sizing partition.  We using Linux as the
operation system, I just wondered if any one could recommend some software
to provide the above....

Regards
    Brendon Shaw

hard drive duplication

Post by Swif » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:36:10

>  hard drive duplication

>  I have several hard drives I need to mirror, but the problem is there are
>  different sizes i.e 10Gb and 36Gb.  I am trying to find some duplication
>  software that will allow a image of the master drive and stored either on a
>  self-booting CD or access across a network.  We have bought a copy of Ghost
>  but it seams to have a problem re-sizing partition.  We using Linux as the
>  operation system, I just wondered if any one could recommend some software
>  to provide the above....

If it is just to mirror a harddisk, you might want to take a look at RAID(1).
You'll find plenty of docs on the internet. Just go to google and type "raid
linux".

--
 SwifT                     -    Key-ID CDBA2FDB
 LUG: http://www.lugwv.be  -    http://www.keyserver.net

hard drive duplication

Post by mikepolnia » Tue, 07 Aug 2001 22:15:12

> hard drive duplication

> I have several hard drives I need to mirror, but the problem is there are
> different sizes i.e 10Gb and 36Gb.  I am trying to find some duplication
> software that will allow a image of the master drive and stored either on
> self-booting CD or access across a network.  We have bought a copy of
> Ghost
> but it seams to have a problem re-sizing partition.  We using Linux as the
> operation system, I just wondered if any one could recommend some software
> to provide the above....

I use a program called Mondo to do full backup/restore from bootable cds.
It can do partitioning etc, uses compression from 1-9 and burns cds on the
fly.

Look at Mondo's home page at:

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

1. hard drive duplication

You can't mirror if the disks are not of the same size, it is as
simple as that.

You could try to resize the e2fs partition, there is program called
ext2resize. You could also do a file by file copy. Of course you have
to create the partitions beforehand and set up the booting afterwards.

And unless you want to write a kernel level tool for this, you are
wrong in this newsgroup. It sais *development*.*system*.

Yours,
                Thomas

2. error compiling tulip.c, which file with -I?

3. Another problem with wwwstat

4. Linking ppp0?

5. apache with dhcp

6. Linux Hard Drive Duplication / Mirroring

7. copying hard drive to hard drive

8. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

9. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

10. Hard Drive to Hard Drive Copy