'reboot' sometimes reboots my machine!!

Post by Alex Ram » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 08:30:40

Problem:

'reboot' _sometimes_ causes my machine to reboot! Note emphasis on
"sometimes."  The rest of the time, it just hangs ("system halted").
This random behaviour is consistently random for reboot, shutdown, and
halt. 'reboot -q' is also just as random.

Config info: Linux 0.99 pl10+ (MCC Interim Distribution), 386 SX/16
with 2meg RAM, 40meg IDE, and 1989 AMI BIOS.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

--

Louisiana Tech University BSEE/Sr  * All rights reserved. No warranty, etc

1. Remotely rebooting a machine with state 'D' processes, how?

How can I reboot a stuck machine remotely, when there are uninterruptable
processes arround? shutdown -r, reboot [-n] [-f], telinit 6 do not give the
intended results. Localy I can use Alt-SysRq-S/U/B, but what if I still have a
remote ssh connection and don't want to have to get to the machines location?

Of course the real problem are the processes themselves, but being able to
revive a machine is also nice ;)

Regards, Axel.
--

-

2. Linux and 4 modems using 16550A

3. PC does not reboot after `shutdown -r now/reboot'

4. config file for stock redhat 7.3 smp kernel

5. server reboot, client can't umount w/o reboot - help!

6. Sound server crashing

7. Reboot doesn't reboot

8. Local html man pages

9. my PC doesn't reboot after "reboot" or "ctrl-alt-del"

10. m80 will 'boot' but won't 'reboot'

11. SuSE T-DSL-settings sometimes don't survive reboot

12. reboot error reboot error reboot error

13. Compaq 6000 reboots and reboots and reboots