Hrad disk problem in dual boot install

Post by Rahe » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:36:42

Hi,
 I have a 30 gb hard disk and I wanted to install dual boot linux with
windows98 on it. First of all I made 3 partitions of fat32 leaving 6
gbs for linux. but an error comes up when i reach disk druid in red
hat 7.1 install and try to create linux partitions.  it says that my
boot partition should be in the first 1023 cylinders.
how exactly should i do that? and what is the safest way to dual boot
my 30 gb hard disk with windows now or from scratch.
Thanks..
Raheel

Hrad disk problem in dual boot install

Post by Swif » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 02:10:33

Quote:>   I have a 30 gb hard disk and I wanted to install dual boot linux with
>  windows98 on it. First of all I made 3 partitions of fat32 leaving 6
>  gbs for linux. but an error comes up when i reach disk druid in red
>  hat 7.1 install and try to create linux partitions.  it says that my
>  boot partition should be in the first 1023 cylinders.
>  how exactly should i do that? and what is the safest way to dual boot
>  my 30 gb hard disk with windows now or from scratch.

What you can do is have the /boot beyond the 1023th cilinder and see if it
works. Lots of (newer) motherboards support it.

Normally, one of the better ways is to have a /boot at first (hda1), windows
C: second (hda2) and then the rest following.

--
  SwifT
  |- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

1. Hard disk problem in dual boot install

Hi,
 I have a 30 gb hard disk and I wanted to install dual boot linux with
windows98 on it. First of all I made 3 partitions of fat32 leaving 6
gbs for linux. but an error comes up when i reach disk druid in red
hat 7.1 install and try to create linux partitions.  it says that my
boot partition should be in the first 1023 cylinders.
how exactly should i do that? and what is the safest way to dual boot
my 30 gb hard disk with windows now or from scratch.
Thanks..
Raheel

2. Sec. Vulnerability in OV NNM

3. Ethernet questions

4. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

5. FRANKEN: Bericht ueber 1st Linux Stammtisch

6. dual-disk dual boot solaris/win98 x86

7. need help newbie

8. Installing larger disk on dual-boot system

9. Difference between Installing from Ins Svr and Boot Svr?

10. Linux Install Problems: Abit KR7A-RAID, Dual boot, Init problems

11. Dual Boot with Scovery Flash Disk and Hard Disk

12. Newbie: Pls advise installing Dual boot Dual HD Mandrake 7