Slow motion sound ??

Post by Tom Evan » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have 2 au files, one works, another doesn't, it appears to be
playing in slow motion, neat affect but not what I was looking for.
The one that doesn't work is a bit larger (800k vs 460k), other
than that I don't see any obvious problems. The works on two other
linux systems (with SB Pro and Soundscape) but not the system with
a SB AWE.
Anybody got clue of what the problem is?
TIA
--

All disclaimers apply...

Slow motion sound ??

Post by Ben Sandle » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I had a similar problem with .wav files.  When I cat'ed to /dev/audio it
played in slow motion, but when I played it with wavplay, it sounded
fine.  How are you playing your sound?

 -Ben

> I have 2 au files, one works, another doesn't, it appears to be
> playing in slow motion, neat affect but not what I was looking for.
> The one that doesn't work is a bit larger (800k vs 460k), other
> than that I don't see any obvious problems. The works on two other
> linux systems (with SB Pro and Soundscape) but not the system with
> a SB AWE.
> Anybody got clue of what the problem is?
> TIA
> --

> All disclaimers apply...

Ben Sandler
email me: ben at yucs dot org
"Friends don't let friends use DOS."

Slow motion sound ??

Post by Tom Evan » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> How are you playing your sound?

play (i.e. sox) or cat, both have the same problem.
--

All disclaimers apply...

Slow motion sound ??

Post by Joel Har » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> I have 2 au files, one works, another doesn't, it appears to be
>> playing in slow motion, neat affect but not what I was looking for.
>> The one that doesn't work is a bit larger (800k vs 460k), other
>> than that I don't see any obvious problems. The works on two other
>> linux systems (with SB Pro and Soundscape) but not the system with
>> a SB AWE.
>> Anybody got clue of what the problem is?

Hmm... sounds like a few things might be wrong.  Maybe the .au file has a
sample rate other than 8000kHz (and since it works on others but not yours,
maybe your card/driver doesn't like to get /dev/audio to default to
8000kHz).  It *might* be an IRQ conflict... I got a similar problem when
trying to install a SB16 and WSS in the same computer (Why two sound cards
in one computer?  Well, the WSS is a crappy Acer thing that only records
with a driver for Win3.1, but has perfect playback in Linux, and the SB16's
drivers work perfectly in Linux, but the quality of the sound from it is
pretty low).

--

http://www.inficad.com/~deeng -- due for a major overhaul eventually?
http://www.linux.org          -- Linux!

1. Xwindows move in slow wavy motion....

Everything on my Linux system is running fine except for one small
problem. I notice that when I pick up an X window an move it, the window
moves in a wavy motion. ie, there is a small time lag between when the top
of the window moves and when the bottom of the window moves. This is not a
big problem, but not very nice either.

I have Linux running on another pc and I don't see that problem on that machine.
Of course, the monitors are different.

The monitor I have is a Daytek. The manual says that it can handle
hsync 20-48 and vsync 50-90. I am running the following mode:

ModeLine "1024x768" 63.7 1024 1040 1104 1328 768 769 773 800

Any assistance on this problem is greatly appreciated!
--
Andrew Sarangan

2. Unix Viewers?

3. Samba Slow Motion

4. stdio.h

5. LinuxPPC-2000 X Installer Runs in Slow Motion

6. Compiling a c++ program

7. Mouse slow motion ignored

8. Info on writing Linux Device Drivers.

9. Samba Slow Motion

10. HELP! My SS1000 is working in slow motion!

11. #9FX Motions Graphics Accelerator and AWE32 Sound Card

12. Sound Blaster PRO slow sound

13. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow