1. (Linear) Computer Video Editors / Video Overlay boxes & Linux
I know of three products that consist of some sort of "Smart Cable" (PC
serial port => LANC/IR) and an "Video Overlay" box (Camcorder & VGA in, Out
to VCR & VGA monitor, genlocked/scan converter):
Sima's Model SAK (hardware made by Avermedia)
Pinnacle's Video Studio 200
and MicroJack's Video editor
All of these appear to be effective MS-Windows based "black boxes", in
the sense that the system is closed and proprietary with effectively no
real third-party software support -- yes Pinnacle has SDK's, but only for
MS-Windows 95, with only MS-Windows 95 DLLs.
Are there other products out there? Are there any with *any* sort of
(useful) technical documentation? I don't have MS-Windows installed on
any of my computers (and won't install it either). I run pure Linux
systems on Intel x86 processors. I am a professional computer
programmer -- if I had some basic technical documentation on the
programming modes, control bytes, and software protocols for a device
like this I am sure I could easily write the driver and control software
to manage one of these units (or something like them). I have sent
E-Mail to the various companies involved and I have not received any
really useful information.
I have seen some information about home brewing up a "Smart Cable" of
sorts (i.e. interfacing a serial port to a LANC interface and building a
remote control IR emitter connected to a computer, somehow -- parallel
port or something), but I have not seen home brew "Video Overlay"
hardware described anywhere.
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller ||FidoNet: 1:321/153
2. Wacom howto wanted
3. NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...
4. Publickey Authentication
5. Linux 1.2.19, Digiboard PC/2e; mgetty - config, software, or hardware problems???
6. browser survey
7. ISDN hardware/software combinations for PCs running SCO
8. Boot-up Error Messages
9. Dell Dimension Pc with #9 video hardware
10. PC PCI video cards on sparc hardware
11. Linux 1.2.19, Digiboard PC/2e; mgetty - config, software, or hardware problems??
12. !*!* PS/2 hardware, PC software, and Amiga stuff 4 Sale !*!*
13. Removal of ^M added by a PC editor by a Unix editor