Can XF86 do better than 320x200 for "generic SVGA" card ?

Can XF86 do better than 320x200 for "generic SVGA" card ?

Post by Nick Drey » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

So I now see from using SuperProbe (at least ver. 2.16, one behind the latest
2.17), that as far as XF86 is concerned, my SVGA card is just "generic"
(actually it is a Paradise Pipeline 64 with a WD 9710 chip).

But it seems strange to me that the VGA16 Xserver does better by giving me
600x800 resolution at 4bpp than all I have gotten so far out of the SVGA
Xserver which provides a useless 320x200 at 8bpp.

I have done all the fiddling I can think of with /etc/X11/X86FConfig to no
avail.

Is there anything else to do, short of buying a new (XFree86-supported) video
card?

Comments, ideas greatly welcome!        Thanks . . .

|\|.

Can XF86 do better than 320x200 for "generic SVGA" card ?

Post by Johnny Ico » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

when you are setting up your xconfig
bypass the autoprobe
I had the reverse problem trying to hold a svga card down to 640x480
because of an old vga monitor that I use
It helps if you know the chipset on your svga card
then manually select your monitors frequency rate
also try slimming down virtual desktop sizes to your screen size
to cut a long story short I have yet to really see the purpose of a gui
for linux, when all of the productive apps that i use are still better
served
with win or Mac boxes, I find that linux is great for having your own shell
account access for telnetting, ftping and text browsing with lynx
I guess in the next couple of years linux will have the gui apps
that are already on my Winboxes
The thing I really like about linux is the IP masquarading
other than that I dont really do much with linux except character based
stuff because the box that I have linux installed on is triplel booting
Win95 and NT
server I still consider Linux as a nice little toy to play with
and a great way to jerry rig a router incase the cisco goes down
way keep a spare cisco on the shelf as a backup unit

>So I now see from using SuperProbe (at least ver. 2.16, one behind the
latest
>2.17), that as far as XF86 is concerned, my SVGA card is just "generic"
>(actually it is a Paradise Pipeline 64 with a WD 9710 chip).

>But it seems strange to me that the VGA16 Xserver does better by giving me
>600x800 resolution at 4bpp than all I have gotten so far out of the SVGA
>Xserver which provides a useless 320x200 at 8bpp.

>I have done all the fiddling I can think of with /etc/X11/X86FConfig to no
>avail.

>Is there anything else to do, short of buying a new (XFree86-supported)
video
>card?

>Comments, ideas greatly welcome!        Thanks . . .

>|\|.

1. Can XF86 do better than 320x200 for "generic SVGA" card ?

So I now see from using SuperProbe (at least ver. 2.16, one behind the latest
2.17), that as far as XF86 is concerned, my SVGA card is just "generic"
(actually it is a Paradise Pipeline 64 with a WD 9710 chip).

But it seems strange to me that the VGA16 Xserver does better by giving me
600x800 resolution at 4bpp than all I have gotten so far out of the SVGA
Xserver which provides a useless 320x200 at 8bpp.

I have done all the fiddling I can think of with /etc/X11/X86FConfig to no
avail.

Is there anything else to do, short of buying a new (XFree86-supported) video
card?

Comments, ideas greatly welcome!        Thanks . . .

|\|.

2. No prototype for setegid in unistd.h?

3. <HELP> SVGA Xserver only uses "builtin" 320x200 mode

4. smail config problem with slackware 2.0

6. Question about FTP

8. national keyboard drivers for LINUX

9. XF86 and "generic" monitor

10. E250 internal disks: "Sun" disk vs "generic" Seagate disk

11. Need generic "front end" or "I/O relayer" program

12. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

13. "increased VM size+Main-memory" better than "Main-memory+Hard-disk" ??