unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

Post by Andy Smi » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:33:17

I always recompile the kernel and have never experienced problems as a
result of it. Most of the "out of the box" kerenels do have parallel
printer support, that is true. There are other reasons to recompile
though. Sometimes you can achieve a smaller memory footprint by paring
the kernel and recompiling. I personally like to include support for
all of the drivers I will need directly in the kernel. This all but
eliminates the possibility of an essential module being improperly
loaded at boot (from my experience anyway).

The only reason a recompile is likely to break a working system is if
the kernel is misconfigured. If the kernel was recompiled without some
option that the original kernel had compiled in it could cause
problems

Andy

Post by Colin Walter » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 19:30:54

> The only reason a recompile is likely to break a working system is
> if the kernel is misconfigured. If the kernel was recompiled without
> some option that the original kernel had compiled in it could cause
> problems

One piece of advice I usually give to users of the Debian GNU/Linux
system is to start from the .config used to build the installed
kernel, which is stored in /boot.  That way you're less likely to
forget to install, say, your SCSI disk driver.

The other thing is to use make-kpkg, which makes building and
installing kernels a breeze, and also does nice stuff like storing
your .config in /boot.

1. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

I'm recompiling the 2.2.12 kernel to enable support for a
parallel port printer.  Unfortunately, this breaks everything
that's compiled as a modules.

My sequence of commands is

cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make modules
make modules_install
make bzdisk
depmod -a

This is where dozens of .o files are reported as  having unresolved symbol(s).
I can boot from the new kernel on disk, but nothing that was compiled as
a module works.

I tried doing

make modules
make modules_install

after the make bzdisk, but that didn't change anything.

Neither the Kernal HOWTO, the Modules mini-HOWTO, the O'Reilly
_Linux Network Administartors Guide_ address this problem.

I'm using the Red Hat 6.1 distribution on an HP Visualize Workstation.
--
P. Douglas Reeder      Lecturer, Computer. Science. Dept., Ohio State Univ..

R>+ tv+ b+++>$ DI+ D- G e+++ h r+>+++ y+>++

2. xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

3. recompiling kernel keep getting unresolved symbols

4. Starting HTTPD: Bad user name nobody

5. unresolved symbol(s) after recompiled kernel !

6. PAM/g++

7. unresolved symbols after kernel recompile

8. What is "kernel: UDP: bad checksum.." ?

9. recompile of kernel leads to unresolved modules ???

10. Modules, kernel 1.1.88, and unresolved symbols

11. Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/misc/zoran.o: 2.4.17 kernel

12. Custom Kernel: depmod - unresolved symbol(s) in multiple modules

13. IPX as module in kernel 2.4.18 has unresolved symbols