Most common bootup failures that req "Rescue Mode" bootup?

Most common bootup failures that req "Rescue Mode" bootup?

Post by Mark » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:59:22

Can anyone provide me with the most common or frequent boot up problems that
occur in RedHat Linux are aside from human errors such as floppy disk in A:\
or not powering up the PC that would require booting into "Rescue Mode"?

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 04:33:09

> Can anyone provide me with the most common or frequent boot up problems that
> occur in RedHat Linux are aside from human errors such as floppy disk in A:\
> or not powering up the PC that would require booting into "Rescue Mode"?

Disk corruption or problem with your / or other essential filesystems that
cannot be repaired by fsck while mounted.

I have had cases (short read on inode) where it still mounts the file
system, but reverts to single user mode, read only.  This could not even
be repaired with the disk mounted ro.  Actaully even a rescue system could
only tell the system to 'ignore' it (until the next auto fsck), not really
repair it.  Western Digital's diagnostics did fix it (numerous times), but
did not tell me what the problem was.  Still don't know if I have a disk
problem or a DMA problem with the chipset, but for now I have DMA
disabled.

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

Post by Dave Bro » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:14:21

> Can anyone provide me with the most common or frequent boot up problems that
> occur in RedHat Linux are aside from human errors such as floppy disk in A:\
> or not powering up the PC that would require booting into "Rescue Mode"?

I'm assuming you're talking about a "real" rescue disk,  i.e., independent
of the installed Linux partition, such as "Superrescue".  Here's some:

- loss of root password
- corrupted /etc/inittab
- erroneous /etc/fstab
- corrupted root filesystem (and maybe others)
- real root fs 100% used
- normal boot device not available (...thinking SCSI problem)
- booting with DHCP when DHCP server down (might timeout)

Variations of some of these can be done in "single user" mode; others
require a independent system like superrescue. (Or, my favorite--"bootable
business card" from linuxcare).
--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

1. Most common bootup failures that req "Rescue Mode" bootup?

Can anyone provide me with the most common or frequent boot up problems that
might possibly
occur in RedHat Linux which of course are aside from human errors such as
floppy disk in A:\
or not powering up the PC that would require booting into "Rescue Mode"?  I
am however familiar with fsck and fdisk in the event that the inevitable
might happen nonetheless, are there other commands that can be used during
Rescue Mode?   Your answers to these questions are appreciated in advance.

Mark

2. How do I install a non-standard CD ROM?

4. Addtron AWA-100 PCI<->PCMCIA on FBSD???

5. "--mode compile" instead of "--mode=compile" problem with libtool

6. IP masquerading problem

7. Driver performace "Kernel Mode" and "Module Mode"?

8. hang during boot with 2.4.19 and an asus a7v

10. ksh - no "read" from pipe, but not common "subshell" issue

11. Common Desktop "copy" & "paste" fuction keys not working in Exceed 6.1

12. "INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp" error on bootup

13. Help with bootup and "login files"