Ghostscript Quality

Post by Francis A. Reader (1 » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:03:04

I have a few printing related questions.
I have an epson Stylus 800+ printer of which the quality is outstanding
when printing from windoz, But when I am printing using ghostscript, the
quality is more remonescent of a cheap 24pin Dot Matrix. I am using the
escp2 device. I have tried printing prepared documents stored as postscript
as well as creating some using*and dvips. Is the problem Ghostscript,
the postscript fonts,dvips or the fonts in LaTeX? I have tried installing
eps in the hope of getting better quality but I have not been able to
successfully install it. (There doesn`t seem to be an entry in modes.mf for
a 360x360dpi epson.)

If anyone has an epson 800+ and is successfully getting decent prints from
Linux please could you contact me. Thanks in Advance!

Ghostscript Quality

Post by Robert Wesley Bingl » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 21:21:53

>I have a few printing related questions.
>I have an epson Stylus 800+ printer of which the quality is outstanding
>when printing from windoz, But when I am printing using ghostscript, the
>quality is more remonescent of a cheap 24pin Dot Matrix. I am using the
>escp2 device. I have tried printing prepared documents stored as postscript
>as well as creating some using*and dvips. Is the problem Ghostscript,
>the postscript fonts,dvips or the fonts in LaTeX? I have tried installing
>eps in the hope of getting better quality but I have not been able to
>successfully install it. (There doesn`t seem to be an entry in modes.mf for
>a 360x360dpi epson.)

>If anyone has an epson 800+ and is successfully getting decent prints from
>Linux please could you contact me. Thanks in Advance!

I have a Cannon Bubble 10ex and had poor print quality from ghostscipt, until
I replaced some of the ghostscript fonts with Adobe fonts from my OS/2 and
Windows partitions.  This was a tremendous improvement!

Rob

"Look to the sky just before you die, it's the last time you will!" -Metallica

Ghostscript Quality

Post by Roderick Smi » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 01:54:54

: >I have a few printing related questions.
: >I have an epson Stylus 800+ printer of which the quality is outstanding
: >when printing from windoz, But when I am printing using ghostscript, the
: >quality is more remonescent of a cheap 24pin Dot Matrix. I am using the

: I have a Cannon Bubble 10ex and had poor print quality from ghostscipt, until
: I replaced some of the ghostscript fonts with Adobe fonts from my OS/2 and
: Windows partitions.  This was a tremendous improvement!

Good point about the fonts; I found the same thing on my HP DeskJet 520
-- I just set up symbolic links from ATM fonts on my OS/2 HPFS boot
partition to the GhostScript fonts directory, modified the font map file,
and voila!  For those without access to existing ATM fonts such as those
that come with OS/2, I might suggest trying the Bitstream 500 Font CD for
Windows, which has both ATM and TrueType fonts.  I believe I've tested a
couple of these with GhostScript under Linux, and they do work.  The
Bitstream "Dutch" font is supposedly a clone of Times, and "Swiss" is a
Helvetica lookalike, though I haven't tested either of these under
Linux.  Anyhow, this CD is an excellent value, going for about $30 at
Egghead, CompUSA, etc.  I've been quite satisfied with the quality of the
fonts (mostly via OS/2's font manager).

--
                                        --Rod Smith

Ghostscript Quality

Post by Peter Dalgaard S » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 00:15:25

>: >I have a few printing related questions.
>: >I have an epson Stylus 800+ printer of which the quality is outstanding
>: >when printing from windoz, But when I am printing using ghostscript, the
>: >quality is more remonescent of a cheap 24pin Dot Matrix. I am using the
>: I have a Cannon Bubble 10ex and had poor print quality from ghostscipt, until
>: I replaced some of the ghostscript fonts with Adobe fonts from my OS/2 and
>: Windows partitions.  This was a tremendous improvement!
>Good point about the fonts; I found the same thing on my HP DeskJet 520

Nice tips, both of you. However it won't help the original
poster. His problem seems to be either that (a) ghostscript is not
using the maximal resolution, or that (b) dvips is generating output
for 300dpi for a 360dpi printer, causing roughly every sixth
pixel in the bitmap fonts to be doubled.

(a) Try -r switch to ghostscript and/or another epson driver
(there are three)

(b) /usr/lib/texmf/dvips/config.ps needs the lines
D 360
M lqhires

(assuming setup as supplied with Slack 2.1 T disks. This
modes.mf has 'lqhires' as an alias for NEChi, but anything with
a "mode_param (pixels_per_inch, 360);" inside is a candidate,
in particular the bjtenex)
--
   O_   ---- Peter Dalgaard
  c/ /'  --- Dept. of Biostatistics

Ghostscript Quality

Post by hkenn.. » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 02:29:12

>>: >I have a few printing related questions.
>>: >I have an epson Stylus 800+ printer of which the quality is outstanding
>>: >when printing from windoz, But when I am printing using ghostscript, the
>>: >quality is more remonescent of a cheap 24pin Dot Matrix. I am using the

>>: I have a Cannon Bubble 10ex and had poor print quality from ghostscipt, until
>>: I replaced some of the ghostscript fonts with Adobe fonts from my OS/2 and
>>: Windows partitions.  This was a tremendous improvement!

>>Good point about the fonts; I found the same thing on my HP DeskJet 520

How do you change the fonts?

Thanks,

Helen

1. HP LJet bad quality ghostscript printing...

I have an HP IIP printer.  It's got 4 megs of memory.  I'm running
RedHat 5.0.  The thing says 300x300 resolution on the printer control
panel and in printcap, but it is not printing that in reality.
I set it up in the RH printer control for the HP2p printer.

I tried changing the 300x300 to 150x150 with a text editor.  This
changed nothing.  I can't find the driver for this either.  I though
I might poke around in it and see if I can do any good.

Any thoughts on how to make this thing print graphics better.  The
text printing looks sharp and clean.

Thanks,

Tim Holmes

2. What would cause the fork sys call t die?

3. Quality of Ghostscript in Printing Postscript

4. Compiling Ghostscript 5.10-6.rpm

5. Differences in 8mm Tape Quality????

6. YP / NIS Master Server Software ??

7. US-MA-Chelmsford Area SQA C++ Unix Software Quality

8. Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL Modem

9. Lexmark Z32 and new linuxdriver, output-quality?!

10. quality Unix tutorial on web?

11. Where's best place to host for quality and pricing?

12. Open Source higher quality than commercial REASONING.com

13. Poor screen quality