Read err on nonexistant /dev/hdb

Post by Jim Howe » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I have been getting a large number of errors at boot concerning read
errors on /dev/hdb, when I have the following combination of drives:

Primary IDE:
Master: 1.2Gb IDE PALLADIUM drive (Don't buy these, they are slow)
Slave : nothing connected

Secondary IDE:
Master: Hitachi ATAPI CD-ROM drive
Slave : Fujitsu 170Mb IDE drive (Model = ??)

Kernel 2.0.0 on /dev/hda3, swap on /dev/hda2

I use the Fuji drive to ship stuff to and from work, because I don't have
a zip drive, my SCSI controller blew up, and it's bigger and faster than
floppies.

When the Fuji drive isn't connected, everything is fine.  When it is
connected, the system attempts to read partition info from /dev/hdb
(which isn't there).  All of the drives continue to work without
a problem, but I can't (as yet) find a reason why it is probing a drive
that isn't there as many times as it is.

If I connect the drive to the primary slave (which I can do) it still
works fine, although in the tower case, the primary IDE is somewhat
buried, so I use the secondary to reach that bay.

As it's not a real problem, I'm ignoring it.

Strange...

Jim
--

Put down your spam, we have you surrounded.
This message brought to you by the number 4, and the editor VI.

Read err on nonexistant /dev/hdb

Post by Michael Dimmi » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have been getting a large number of errors at boot concerning read
>errors on /dev/hdb, when I have the following combination of drives:
>Kernel 2.0.0 on /dev/hda3, swap on /dev/hda2

Erm, you might find that things work better if you upgrade the kernel.
The latest patch IIRC is 2.0.30, though it's probably easiest to get
an entirely new source tree rather than apply 30 patches in succession.

Quote:>If I connect the drive to the primary slave (which I can do) it still
>works fine, although in the tower case, the primary IDE is somewhat
>buried, so I use the secondary to reach that bay.

If upgrading the kernel doesn't work, that's the solution <g>.

--

".sig, .sig, wherefore art thou .sig?"

1. fdisk can't read /dev/hdb... help

  Here's the deal--I'm trying to install Linux on a WD540.  I'm dedicating
the entire disk to the new operating system.  I have a copy of Walnut
Creek's Toolkit for Linux which includes the Slackware stuff.  I've used
fdisk for msdos to delete the primary dos partition and all others on this
particular drive.
  When I boot from the rawritten floppy--using the scsi boot disk--I have
to enter the aha152x=0x340,11,7,1 line in order to make it recognize my
cdrom.  Everything seems to go okay until the following message appears...

        hd.c:ST-506 interface disk with more than 16 heads probably due to
        non-standard sector translation.  Giving up.
        (disk1: cyl=524, sect=63, head=32)

        hd.c:ST-506 interface disk with more that 16 heads probably due to
        non-standard sector translation.  Giving up.
        (disk0: cyl=821, sect=63, head=32)

  Then it prompts me for the root disk--color144.  I put it in let it do
it's thing then I login as root and when I try to run fdisk /dev/hdb it
says
        unable to read /dev/hdb

this it also says for /dev/hda

  All of this is being installed on a 486DX2 80mhz with 12 megs of ram, a
WD850 and a WD540 and a Creative Labs SCSI CDROM--I've tried sbpcd with
the same results.
  Version information:

        Slackware Linux Install Disk v. 2.1.0
        Bootkernel disk v. 2.0.0
        Linux v. 1.0.9

  Someone out there must have an answer.  I've read all the appropriate
FAQs and called the people at Walnut Creek.

post a summary... I swear it.

  Help me!!
|dphull=David Phillip Hull
|www homepage-->http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~dphull
|University of Kansas Academic Computing Services Customer Asst.->8640449
|The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
|certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                          - Bertrand Russell -

2. Popper Canonical Error ??

3. fdisk can't read /dev/hdb

4. Linux not finding D-Link DE-220PCT NIC, Help Please.

5. FDisk unable to read /dev/hdb

6. RH install problem: prg ignoring ramdisk2!!!!!

7. fdisk unable to read /dev/hdb... help

8. Too many Collision on subnet

9. unable to read /dev/hdb installing problem Linux slackware 2.01

10. Linux "Unable to read /dev/hdb", my 2nd IDE disk!

11. fdisk can't read /dev/hdb

12. INSTALLING: Unable to read /dev/hdb !

13. fdisk unable to read /dev/hdb