Is there a gui for system commands within Linux?

Is there a gui for system commands within Linux?

Post by A Lo » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 03:34:49

I am a complete idiot as far as linux is concerned. Is there  a
interface similar to SMIT for AIX in linux.

TIA,
A Log.

Is there a gui for system commands within Linux?

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 09:23:57

Quote:> I am a complete idiot as far as linux is concerned. Is there  a
> interface similar to SMIT for AIX in linux.

Don't know offhand, but there are man pages for commands, and if you are
not quite sure what a command is called, you can use 'whatis' or
'apropos'.  Also the locate command can help locate filenames (commands),
which is usually updated if you leave your box on overnight.  See:

man man
man whatis
man apropos
man locate
And you might also try 'locate doc'.

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

Post by cbbro.. » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 09:38:48

> > I am a complete idiot as far as linux is concerned. Is there  a
> > interface similar to SMIT for AIX in linux.

> Don't know offhand, but there are man pages for commands, and if you are
> not quite sure what a command is called, you can use 'whatis' or
> 'apropos'.  Also the locate command can help locate filenames (commands),
> which is usually updated if you leave your box on overnight.  See:
> man man
> man whatis
> man apropos
> man locate
> And you might also try 'locate doc'.

Those are most definitely NOT tools with interface similar to SMIT.

There are several tools offering "Barneyfied" interfaces not entirely
unlike SMIT that can be used on Linux.

Notable are:
- Linuxconf
- WebMin
- Ganymede

All three may be readily located at the URL below, or via simple web
searches.
--

http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/linuxsysconfig.html
Jury  -- Twelve  people  who  determine which  client  has the  better

Is there a gui for system commands within Linux?

Post by jpsin » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:34:00

don't have any idea about SMIT or AIT, but I think
'xman' can provide you some good help on commands & shell built-ins..

-jitender

Post by Leonard Even » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 01:53:39

> I am a complete idiot as far as linux is concerned. Is there  a
> interface similar to SMIT for AIX in linux.

> TIA,
> A Log.

I don't know what SMIT is, but under Gnome at least, the help browser
provides easy access to both man pages and to info.

Post by Bob Hau » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 05:08:50

Quote:> I am a complete idiot as far as linux is concerned. Is there  a
> interface similar to SMIT for AIX in linux.

You might want to look at webmin or linuxconf.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Post by Joel Rosenber » Mon, 26 Nov 2001 05:15:26

> > I am a complete idiot as far as linux is concerned. Is there  a
> > interface similar to SMIT for AIX in linux.

> You might want to look at webmin or linuxconf.

I second the recommendation for webmin; it's real, real good,
particularly for the unsophisticated user.
--
-------------------------------------
There's a widow in sleepy Chester

1. problem with executing commands from within the shell using a command string.

Hello,

I am facing a problem with execution of commands from within the shell
script. The following is the trouble maker.

The command when executed from the prompt  behaves as follows when the
host 'courage' is not available

$ ping -c1 -w1 courage >/dev/null 2>&1 || echo courage is down
  courage is down

Now assume that the same text is in a script variable

EXEC_STR="ping -c1 -w1 courage >/dev/null 2>&1 || echo courage is down"

and i execute it by
exec $EXEC_STR    or  ` echo $EXEC_STR `

I get the following message

usage:
ping [-adDfLnoPqQrRv] [-c count] [-g gateway] [-h host] [-i interval]
[-I addr]
     [-l preload] [-p pattern] [-s size] [-t tos] [-T ttl] [-w maxwait]

     [-E policy] host

but if the the command in the string was as follows ...

EXEC_STR="ping -c1 -w1 courage"

the ping command works.

I need the command to behave normally with the above mentioned
execution string.

Your expert help is needed.

Thanks in advance.

2. CVSUP and Sources from 01/05/1998?

3. terminal & editor color problems within GUI

4. Can't access cdrom

5. how and when to start gnome / how to shutdown within a GUI

6. Difficulty compiling 1.0 kernel

7. booting a different system from within Linux

8. Has MS has helped dumbed down eduction?

9. Change active file system from within Linux?

10. I am looking for IDE for Linux Developement System.

11. i am going to setup linux operating system

12. GUI design in linux system

13. Development of a New GUI system for Linux...