Problem with powering down when shutting down

Problem with powering down when shutting down

Post by ardvar » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I am running RedHat 6.1, on an AMDK6 machine. When I shutdown with halt, my
PC cannot power down. The computer hangs and displays messages and memory
addresses and lots of other numbers like "unable to handle kernel paging
request at virtual address XXXXXXXX".

I had no problems with RedHat 5.1. I think its a problem with the linux
kernel 2.2. Is there any way to stop the final process of power down? Or is
there anything I have to do with my power management settings?

Problem with powering down when shutting down

Post by Ethan C. Baldridg » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt

find the line (towards the end) that says something like:
eval $command -i -d -p

remove the -p

This will keep it from trying to power down.

Post by rgu » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I am running RedHat 6.1, on an AMDK6 machine. When I shutdown with halt, my
> PC cannot power down. The computer hangs and displays messages and memory
> addresses and lots of other numbers like "unable to handle kernel paging
> request at virtual address XXXXXXXX".

> I had no problems with RedHat 5.1. I think its a problem with the linux
> kernel 2.2. Is there any way to stop the final process of power down? Or is
> there anything I have to do with my power management settings?

I have the same problem with RH 6.0, but i also installed RH 6.0 on my
mini-notebook and the poweroff works... mmhh, should i be happy now?

Post by m.. » Sun, 14 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > I am running RedHat 6.1, on an AMDK6 machine. When I shutdown with halt, my
> > PC cannot power down. The computer hangs and displays messages and memory
> > addresses and lots of other numbers like "unable to handle kernel paging
> > request at virtual address XXXXXXXX".

> > I had no problems with RedHat 5.1. I think its a problem with the linux
> > kernel 2.2. Is there any way to stop the final process of power down? Or is
> > there anything I have to do with my power management settings?

> I have the same problem with RH 6.0, but i also installed RH 6.0 on my
> mini-notebook and the poweroff works... mmhh, should i be happy now?

well this is an APM bios option,
so the kernel must support it, as
well as your bios.

cumarc

--
what is luaka bop?
a sweet polynesian delicacy with aphrodisiac properties

1. Sparc10 Won't power-on after shutting down through power button

OK, the title says it all. I am running Solaris 8 and I did a system
shutdown (power off) using the power key, rather than just going to standby
or using the power switch. Now the power supply will not come on unless I
remove the CPU card. I guess it could be the power supply, but I think doing
the soft power-off freaked out my unit which has a Ross processor. Anybody
seen anything like this?? Is there someway to force a NVRAM clear via a
jumper or something??

Your help is appreciated!!!!

2. color ls

3. Uninterruptible Power Supply Shut-Down?

4. Sun Cluster rsm ...

5. PC power switch wont shut down Windows

6. freebsd+rh7.2 nis?

7. Preventing users from shutting down the system by pressing the Soft-Power-Button

8. awk or perl script to put lines into 1

9. Shutting Down with Power Management

10. Shut off & power down?

11. Mounting a VG after a power shut down

12. software-shutting down ATX power supplies

13. 2.5.44: problemn when shutting down, drivers/base/power.c and the global_device_list