kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

Post by Christopher Geoffrey GRINT » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Sometimes I get the following message in my /var/log/messages file:
        kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

I have found this happens sometimes when running netscape or xv; the
netscape window doesn't appear, and only an empty xv window appears.

What could be causing this to happen, and how can I fix it (short
of rebooting)?

The kernel version I am running is 1.3.20.

Thanks for any info,
Chris

:
: I have found this happens sometimes when running netscape or xv; the
: netscape window doesn't appear, and only an empty xv window appears.
:
: What could be causing this to happen, and how can I fix it (short
: of rebooting)?
:
: The kernel version I am running is 1.3.20.
:
: Thanks for any info,
: Chris

How much memory does your system have? It sounds like your system just
plain ran out of memory. You may need to boost the size of your RAM and/or
swap space. Netscape and xv are both memory-hogs (the former more so than tha
latter, on average), so the fact that these are the applications causing the
error is no surprise to me.

Pete

Pete Stewart               | "* is the last refuge of the incompetent"

Post by Christopher Geoffrey GRINT » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>: Sometimes I get the following message in my /var/log/messages file:
>:   kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....
>:
>: I have found this happens sometimes when running netscape or xv; the
>: netscape window doesn't appear, and only an empty xv window appears.
>:
>: What could be causing this to happen, and how can I fix it (short
>: of rebooting)?
>:
>: The kernel version I am running is 1.3.20.
>How much memory does your system have? It sounds like your system just
>plain ran out of memory. You may need to boost the size of your RAM and/or

I have 16Mb RAM and 32Mb swap; neither of these were anywhere near full
(according to the output of "free").

Looking in the kernel source, this message is generated in the kmalloc
function; I presume that this is doing a malloc within the kernel's own
data space. Something seems to be making the kernel use up all its
"internal" memory, but I have no idea what might do this.

Chris

1. getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

Hi.

I'm getting a "couldn't get a free page" message when installing.
This message shows on the Alt-F4 screen.
I'm installing RedHat 4.2 from a store-bought RedHat
software package (not bundled with a "regular" book,
just 250 page guide).

The system is a 486-25 with 8MB of RAM and a
730MB Quantum SCSI-2 HDD.  The CDROM drive
is a Mountain CD7 changer (I'm only using disc
tray 1, and it accesses the drive just fine for the
install up to the point where I get the above message).
I switch to Alt-F4 to see this message after the Alt-F1
screen remains stationary for a long period of time.

The SCSI controller is an old clone (Tekram) that has
caching enabled (for some reason, I used to be able
to get into the Tekram configuration on boot-up
by pressing F2 or F6 to enable/disable disk caching
and setup other SCSI parameters, but can't now, so
I'm stuck with caching enabled on the hard disk
device).

I get the error while installing packages during the
initial install.  At first, I selected "Everything" and had
a 95MB swap partition.  Then I tried selecting just
Emacs and NFS and using about a 140MB swap
partition.  Results were the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and
thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cameron

2. PROBLEMS WITH GFORCE 2MX

3. The Staircase Effect and a DeskJet 400

4. v1.1.74 -- Kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

5. NAT + Identd?

6. Kernel 1.1.64 - "Couldn't get a free page"

7. Netscape w/ MMDF mailboxes?

8. kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

9. "Couldn't get a free page" kernel errors

10. kernel couldn't get a free page

11. kernel: Couldn't get a free page

12. Solution requested for a 'Couldn't get a free page.....' problem