I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

Post by Andrew N. McGuir » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings,

    I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
but this one is just too much:

/etc/passwd: ASCII test

ASCII test?  I mean really.  This, to me, is indicative of the haphazard
way in which RH/Mandrake is thrown together.  There are of course other
bugs, too numerous to mention here....  This is very dissappointing, as
one would think that they test thier RPMs before distributing them.
Sadly, I guess this is not the case, and I am now reminded why I like
Slackware (or Debian) so much.  Attention to detail.

[ Thank you for listening to my rant! ]

Regards,

anm
--
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                                       |

| perl -le'print map?"(.*)"?&&($_=$1)&&s](\w+)]\u$1]g&&$_=>`perldoc -qj`' |
`------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

Post by D. C. & M. V. Session » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

IHBT aside,

> /etc/passwd: ASCII test

> ASCII test?  I mean really.  This, to me, is indicative of the haphazard
> way in which RH/Mandrake is thrown together.  There are of course other
> bugs, too numerous to mention here....  This is very dissappointing, as
> one would think that they test thier RPMs before distributing them.
> Sadly, I guess this is not the case, and I am now reminded why I like
> Slackware (or Debian) so much.  Attention to detail.

/etc/passwd: ASCII text

Your problem with this is????

--
| Bogus as it might seem, people, this really is a deliverable       |
| e-mail address.  Of course, there isn't REALLY a lumber cartel.    |

I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

Post by Robert Krawit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> What should it say instead?

It should print ASCII TeXt, not ASCII TeSt
                        ^               ^
--

Tall Clubs International  --  http://www.tall.org/ or 1-888-IM-TALL-2

Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton

Post by David Rysda » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Greetings,

>     I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
> all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
> recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
> but this one is just too much:

> /etc/passwd: ASCII test

I'm running RH 6.1 with file 3.27 and it correctly says "ASCII text".
What version of file are you running on Mandrake and what version do
you have on Slackware?

--
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

Post by Alex » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > What should it say instead?

> It should print ASCII TeXt, not ASCII TeSt

I am running RH 6.1
The print out is as follow:

/etc/passwd: ASCII text
                                 ^^^^
It is TEST all right...

Alex.

>                         ^               ^
> --

> Tall Clubs International  --  http://www.tall.org/ or 1-888-IM-TALL-2

> Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

> "Linux doesn't dictate how I work, I dictate how Linux works."
> --Eric Crampton

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
http://www.seti.org/

Registered with the Linux Counter. ID# 175126
http://counter.li.org/index.html

I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

Post by Andrew N. McGuir » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, D. C. & M. V. Sessions quoth:

$$
$$ IHBT aside,
$$

$$ > /etc/passwd: ASCII test
$$ >
$$ > ASCII test?  I mean really.  This, to me, is indicative of the haphazard
$$ > way in which RH/Mandrake is thrown together.  There are of course other
$$ > bugs, too numerous to mention here....  This is very dissappointing, as
$$ > one would think that they test thier RPMs before distributing them.
$$ > Sadly, I guess this is not the case, and I am now reminded why I like
$$ > Slackware (or Debian) so much.  Attention to detail.
$$

$$ /etc/passwd: ASCII text
$$
$$ Your problem with this is????

Nothing, but that is not what I posted!!!  Using default Mandrake 7.1,
downloaded from http://www.mandrake.com and burned to CD, I get
'ASCII test', but then I already posted that.  Then again, if you use
bash or tcsh with $TERM set to xterm you get a 'c' before your prompt
every time you use vim.  Set $TERM to vt100 and it goes away, probably a
/etc/termcap error.  This happens in konsole, not xterm.  Then again, I
could also mention some heinous grammar errors during the installation
process.   There is also the fact that a SCSI zip drive does not work
correctly, etc, etc.... Needless to say I have had none of these
problems on Slackware.  There are many other things that I could point
out that leads me to believe that Madrake/RH distributions are of a
lesser quality, than say Debian or Slackware.   For a more compete list
of discrepencies read the archive for this group, or contact me by
email.

Regards,

anm
--
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Post by William R. Matt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> Greetings,

>>     I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
>> all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
>> recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
>> but this one is just too much:

>> /etc/passwd: ASCII test

><snip>

>What should it say instead? Anyway, what makes this a bug? Is it noted
>in a standard somewhere that it should be something else or is it just
>different from what you had in Slackware?

FYI Three different unicies AIX, Slowaris, and RH all agree.

file /etc/passwd
/etc/passwd: ASCII text

But on a postive note .... you have access to the sources. Fix it.
Recompile and voila! No more problem.

Bill
--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 399-4106          | and... in high heels.

Post by Prasanth A. Kum » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Greetings,

>     I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
> all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
> recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
> but this one is just too much:

> /etc/passwd: ASCII test

> ASCII test?  I mean really.  This, to me, is indicative of the haphazard
> way in which RH/Mandrake is thrown together.  There are of course other
> bugs, too numerous to mention here....  This is very dissappointing, as
> one would think that they test thier RPMs before distributing them.
> Sadly, I guess this is not the case, and I am now reminded why I like
> Slackware (or Debian) so much.  Attention to detail.

<snip>

What should it say instead? Anyway, what makes this a bug? Is it noted
in a standard somewhere that it should be something else or is it just
different from what you had in Slackware?

--
Prasanth Kumar

I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:50:46 -0500, Andrew N. McGuire

>    I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
>all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
>recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
>but this one is just too much:

>/etc/passwd: ASCII test

>ASCII test?  I mean really.  This, to me, is indicative of the
>haphazard way in which RH/Mandrake is thrown together.  There are of
>course other bugs, too numerous to mention here....  This is very
>dissappointing, as one would think that they test thier RPMs before
>distributing them. Sadly, I guess this is not the case, and I am now
>reminded why I like Slackware (or Debian) so much.  Attention to
>detail.

>[ Thank you for listening to my rant! ]

Wake up, bozo. Did you even bother to look at the file? They both use
shadow passwords, which means they aren't really even in this file.
Further, they are encrypted, even though they are contained in plain
text files. When you rant, please base it on something resembling
factual, credible information.

--
Hal B

--

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

]Greetings,

]    I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
]all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
]recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
]but this one is just too much:

]/etc/passwd: ASCII test

Dear oh dear. Mandrake must definitely be on its last legs. First they list
their man version (man -v)  as 1.5f when it is really 1.5g, and now they have a
misprint, putting in "test" rather than "text". Definitely a complete
disaster-- the whole operating system no longer works-- noone can do
anything, no program runs. The Horror, The Horror.

And oh dear, it is worse than that. That Mandrake did not write "file"
and uses the same source as does Slackware is irrelevant.  Mandrake has managed to infect
Ian Darwin, the author of "file", so that the version 3.30 (the one
included in Mandrake) on the file page ftp.astron.com/pub/file also contains
 the same error. I can see it now. Soon even Slackware will be infected,
 and the world will end.

Post by am.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> ]Greetings,

> ]    I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
> ]all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
> ]recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
> ]but this one is just too much:

> ]/etc/passwd: ASCII test

> Dear oh dear. Mandrake must definitely be on its last legs. First they
list
> their man version (man -v)  as 1.5f when it is really 1.5g, and now
they have a
> misprint, putting in "test" rather than "text". Definitely a complete
> disaster-- the whole operating system no longer works-- noone can do
> anything, no program runs. The Horror, The Horror.

> And oh dear, it is worse than that. That Mandrake did not write "file"
> and uses the same source as does Slackware is irrelevant.  Mandrake

has managed to infect
Quote:> Ian Darwin, the author of "file", so that the version 3.30 (the one
> included in Mandrake) on the file page ftp.astron.com/pub/file also
contains
>  the same error. I can see it now. Soon even Slackware will be
infected,
>  and the world will end.

Yes I agree with this bug, it is existing in my downloaded version of
Mandrake 7.1 file command

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Johan Kullsta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Greetings,

>     I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
> all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
> recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
> but this one is just too much:

> /etc/passwd: ASCII test

> ASCII test?  I mean really.

really?  i am using redhat 6.2 and get

euler(jk)$ file /etc/passwd
/etc/passwd: ASCII text

Quote:> This, to me, is indicative of the haphazard
> way in which RH/Mandrake is thrown together.

this, to me, is a perfect illustration of the fundamentally bogus
nature of the vast bulk of accusations against redhat.  redhat does
have problems, do us the favor of levelling competant criticism
instead of making stuff up off the top of your head.

Quote:> There are of course other
> bugs, too numerous to mention here....

like the way file is just a guesser and ultimately broken on *every*
unix system?

file is not the most important utility on a unix system.  since you
are just blowing smoke, why not make up stuff about a more important
component?

Quote:> This is very dissappointing, as
> one would think that they test thier RPMs before distributing them.

this is very dissappointing as i would have though that people test
their accusations before flinging them.

Quote:> Sadly, I guess this is not the case, and I am now reminded why I like
> Slackware (or Debian) so much.  Attention to detail.

sadly, i guess this is not the case.  i am now reminded of why i feel
there is a certain small but vocal subset of slackware and debian who
use a religious conviction of their distribution's alledged
superiority to justify any amount of misinformation, slander and lying
to bolster their position.  there really are a lot of decent slackware
users.  why do you insist on giving them a bad name?

Quote:> [ Thank you for listening to my rant! ]

i think your rant says more about you, than it says about any system
you are trying to malign.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

Don't Fear the Penguin!

I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> ]/etc/passwd: ASCII test
>Yes I agree with this bug, it is existing in my downloaded version of
>Mandrake 7.1 file command

It exists in all versions of file 3.30 used anywhere in the world. It is
in the original source code for file, distributed by the writer of file
( which is not Mandrake). It no longer exists in 3.31 it did not exist
in 3.2x. It has nothing to do with Mandrake or Redhat or Slackware. If
you think a distributor has the time to check each and every error
messages of each of the 100000 or so programs included in the
distributions each time a new version of that program comes out for
spelling errors, then you have a weird sense of proportion. If Slackware
uses 3.30 in any product, it will have that bug. If it uses any other
version, it will not have that bug. If Mandrake uses any other version
it will not have that bug.
Sheesh.

I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

Post by Andrew N. McGuir » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Johan Kullstam quoth:

$$
$$ > Greetings,
$$ >
$$ >     I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
$$ > all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
$$ > recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
$$ > but this one is just too much:
$$ >

$$ > /etc/passwd: ASCII test
$$ >
$$ > ASCII test?  I mean really.
$$
$$ really?  i am using redhat 6.2 and get

Did, I say I was using RH? No.

$$
$$ /etc/passwd: ASCII text
$$
$$ > This, to me, is indicative of the haphazard
$$ > way in which RH/Mandrake is thrown together.
$$
$$ this, to me, is a perfect illustration of the fundamentally bogus
$$ nature of the vast bulk of accusations against redhat.  redhat does
$$ have problems, do us the favor of levelling competant criticism
$$ instead of making stuff up off the top of your head.

Yeah, I just made it up and typed it in. :-)
You get an A for not so smart.

$$ > There are of course other
$$ > bugs, too numerous to mention here....
$$
$$ like the way file is just a guesser and ultimately broken on *every*
$$ unix system?

No.  Not at all.

$$ file is not the most important utility on a unix system.  since you
$$ are just blowing smoke, why not make up stuff about a more important
$$ component?

I did not make anything up.  Secondly my point was "ATTENTION TO
DETAIL".  Something you could use a little of since you have chosen
to disregard everything I said and just flame instead.

$$ > This is very dissappointing, as
$$ > one would think that they test thier RPMs before distributing them.
$$
$$ this is very dissappointing as i would have though that people test
$$ their accusations before flinging them.

Cut and paste.  Are you totally inept?
The only one here spreading falsehoods is you, I would not even have
brought up the subject if it was not tested.

$$ > Sadly, I guess this is not the case, and I am now reminded why I like
$$ > Slackware (or Debian) so much.  Attention to detail.
$$
$$ sadly, i guess this is not the case.  i am now reminded of why i feel
$$ there is a certain small but vocal subset of slackware and debian who
$$ use a religious conviction of their distribution's alledged
$$ superiority to justify any amount of misinformation, slander and lying
$$ to bolster their position.  there really are a lot of decent slackware
$$ users.  why do you insist on giving them a bad name?

I have not lied about one thing yet, I said I was using Mandrake 7.1.
You took it to mean RH 6.2, you assumed, and now you look like an ass.
The only reason I put RedHat in the subject line is becuase  RH
and Mandrake share a lineage, thats it.  I was talking primarily about
Mandrake.

$$ > [ Thank you for listening to my rant! ]
$$
$$ i think your rant says more about you, than it says about any system
$$ you are trying to malign.

Not really, becuase just like Mandrake, you did not pay any attention to
detail.

anm
--
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                                       |

| perl -le'print map?"(.*)"?&&($_=$1)&&s](\w+)]\u$1]g&&$_=>`perldoc -qj`' |
`------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

I feel bad for RH/Mandrake users.

Post by Andrew N. McGuir » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On 31 Jul 2000, Bill Unruh quoth:

$$
$$
$$ ]Greetings,
$$
$$ ]    I thought that I would share this little piece of news with you
$$ ]all, as I could not believe it myself.  I am a Slackware user, and
$$ ]recently decided to try Mandrake 7.1.  I have noticed some bugs
$$ ]but this one is just too much:
$$

$$ ]/etc/passwd: ASCII test
$$
$$ Dear oh dear. Mandrake must definitely be on its last legs. First they list
$$ their man version (man -v)  as 1.5f when it is really 1.5g, and now they have a
$$ misprint, putting in "test" rather than "text". Definitely a complete
$$ disaster-- the whole operating system no longer works-- noone can do
$$ anything, no program runs. The Horror, The Horror.

Real good, sarcasm justifies broken software right? OK Bill Gates.

$$ And oh dear, it is worse than that. That Mandrake did not write "file"
$$ and uses the same source as does Slackware is irrelevant.  Mandrake has managed to infect
$$ Ian Darwin, the author of "file", so that the version 3.30 (the one
$$ included in Mandrake) on the file page ftp.astron.com/pub/file also contains
$$  the same error. I can see it now. Soon even Slackware will be infected,
$$  and the world will end.

The point is it should have been corrected.  The amount of buggy items
I see in Mandrake compared to what I see in Slack is staggering, IMO.

This is just my opinion.  I could if you wish go through all the lists
and all the software, and total all the errors up, but I am not going
to.  I have admined Solaris/HP-UX/FreeBSD/Linux machines for long enough
to know that Mandrake is not well planned out.

anm
--
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Andrew N. McGuire                                                       |

| perl -le'print map?"(.*)"?&&($_=$1)&&s](\w+)]\u$1]g&&$_=>`perldoc -qj`' |
`------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

1. RH 8.0 redhat-config-users errors - bad passwd and shadow files ??

All,

redhat-config-users errors. It is an error relating to the
content of the passwd, shadow, or group files. I have been
creating these files over several years. The origenals came
from RH 4.1. (shadow was added along the way.)

Without a clean install is there a way to get good copies of
these files. I can then add users a few at a time to see
which ones are causing trouble.

Is there another way to debug these files?? There is nothing
that jumps out as an error.

Thanks,
Dan

2. A simple question about mount and fstab

3. I feel bad...

4. Is there a good popup and ad blocker for Linux?

5. I've got a bad feeling about this

6. embedding files in a script

7. Bad Feeling?

8. Please help! "Unable to mount root fs" after install.

9. I feel bad asking this...

10. Look and Feel problem with RH 5.0/fvwm95-2

11. Linux vs. Win95 (was: why w95 users feel so much pain)