Diamond Stealth II S220 under RedHat 5.1

Diamond Stealth II S220 under RedHat 5.1

Post by Daniel Dubr?l » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi !

Is there someone here running RedHat 5.1 and XFree86 with a Diamond
Stealth II S220 ? The chipset seems to be a problem : Rendition Verite
2100. Is there a linux distribution that support this card and/or this
chipset ?

I know it's quite a new card and maybe it's the reason it's not
supported by RedHat but I think that maybe someone here could help me in
order to make this card functionning with Linux.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Daniel D.

Post by Per Lewa » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hi !

> Is there someone here running RedHat 5.1 and XFree86 with a Diamond
> Stealth II S220 ? The chipset seems to be a problem : Rendition Verite
> 2100. Is there a linux distribution that support this card and/or this
> chipset ?

> I know it's quite a new card and maybe it's the reason it's not
> supported by RedHat but I think that maybe someone here could help me in
> order to make this card functionning with Linux.

You can get an X server for this card from S.u.S.E:
http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html#rendition

This card should be supported by default in the next release of
XFree86 due real soon now.

                                        Link?ping University, Sweden.
"Earthly rewards make consumerism a popular religion."
                                                - Hobbes

Diamond Stealth II S220 under RedHat 5.1

Post by Daniel Dubr?l » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> You can get an X server for this card from S.u.S.E:
> http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html#rendition

> This card should be supported by default in the next release of
> XFree86 due real soon now.

Thanks for the information !

I'm a newbie on Linux so, could I use this version in a RedHat
distribution ?

Daniel D.

Diamond Stealth II S220 under RedHat 5.1

Post by Daniel Dubr?l » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> You can get an X server for this card from S.u.S.E:
> http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html#rendition

> This card should be supported by default in the next release of
> XFree86 due real soon now.

Thanks for the information !

I'm a newbie on Linux so, could I use this version in a RedHat distribution ?

Daniel D.

Diamond Stealth II S220 under RedHat 5.1

Post by Daniel Dubr?l » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> You can get an X server for this card from S.u.S.E:
> http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html#rendition

> This card should be supported by default in the next release of
> XFree86 due real soon now.

Thanks for the information !

I'm a newbie on Linux so, could I use this version in a RedHat
distribution ?

Daniel D.

Diamond Stealth II S220 under RedHat 5.1

Post by Per Lewa » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > You can get an X server for this card from S.u.S.E:
> > http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html#rendition

> > This card should be supported by default in the next release of
> > XFree86 due real soon now.

> Thanks for the information !

> I'm a newbie on Linux so, could I use this version in a RedHat
> distribution ?

Yes you could. There is even an rpm package of the server. Just
remember to read the documentation and you should do fine.

                                        Link?ping University, Sweden.
"Earthly rewards make consumerism a popular religion."
                                                - Hobbes

Diamond Stealth II S220 under RedHat 5.1

Post by Daniel Dubr?l » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm sorry... my NNTP server at cam.org is quite weird sometimes !

1. RedHat 5.1 + Diamond Stealth II S220 + XFCom_Rendition

Dear X community,

I'm having problems with a Diamond Stealth II S220

System:
        Diamond Stealth II S220 card w/4mb video ram (purchased June 1998)
        CTX CVP 5468NI 14" monitor (purchased Fall of 1991)
        Abit TX5 (Intel 430TX chipset) motherboard w/64mb ram
        AMD K6-300 (no 3D-Now)
        (SB 16 PnP ISA; Zoom 14.4 ISA)

OS's:
        Windows NT 4 Server w/ Service pack 3
        Windows 98
        RedHat Linux 5.1

Software:
         Windows NT 4 Server, what came on the CD with the card
        under Windows 98, file sii95110.exe from Diamond
        under RedHat 5.1 Linux, SuSE's XFCom_Rendition X server + fvwm

Problems:
        When I run startx X begins in 640x480; but the image is squashed into 2/3
of the screen. The electron gun paints the whole image starting about 1"
from the top of the tube, and ends about 1" from the bottom. (SuSE advised
trying xvidtune, which I did, but all it can do is make the painted pixels
get a bit closer to the top of the place where the gun is painting, that
is, to 1 inch below the top of the tube.) (I can also use the vertical
control to stretch the image to fit on the tube, but then I get a stretched
image.)
        I can switch to 800x640 and I get the same squashed screen; the colors are
really pale; the image is rotated to the right. (This rotation I can fix
with vidtune.)
        I can switch to 1024x768. Now the screen is *not* squashed, but it is
rotated around to the righ (so the right edge is off the screen) and the
colors are very pale. Again the rotation can be fixed either by using the
horizontal control on the monitor or by using xvidtune.
        I described this behavior to SuSE and they didn't know what was going on.
        The card/monitor combination works perfectly on Windows NT. I use 800x640
since 1024x768 is a little too small for my eyes.
        The card/monitor combination works fairly well on Windows 98 but it has
similar problems to what happens under Linux. My login screen is messed up:
the screen image is 2/3 its full height, and wrapped around the right side
of the screen. Once logged in, sometimes I get a full 800x600 SVGA screen
and sometimes I get the 2/3 screen. If I use the Diamond setting program, I
can set it to the full sized 800x600 screen, but even then, when I select
that, sometimes it stays in the 2/3 sized screen. The program will not
change the resolution to 1024x768, even though the monitor will suppport it
(I can change to this resolution under WinNT).

I've been using fvwm+X+Linux enough to know that if I could get the
monitor/card setup to work properly it would be a real joy.

If you could reply to

that would make my life easier; if you like I can repost any advice you
might have.

Thank you very much!

Anthony Dardis

2. e2compress on kernel 2.4

3. RH 5.1 Diamond Stealth II S220 Drivers required.

4. Delayed Telnet Connection

5. Diamond Stealth II S220 and XFree86

6. about libXm.so.1

7. Diamond Stealth II S220 supported?

8. linux+ipmasq w/kali95

9. Subject : HELP! Diamond Stealth II S220

10. What chipset in a Diamond Stealth II S220. ?

11. Diamond Stealth II S220 problems with XF86 3.3.3

12. Diamond Stealth II S220 Users I need help!!!

13. Diamond Stealth II S220 with Red Hat 5.2?