Help with Exabyte 8505XL SCSI tape drive...

Help with Exabyte 8505XL SCSI tape drive...

Post by Brian Markens » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

  I have installed the above SCSI tape drive into my linux system
running the 2.0.7 kernel with SCSI tape support built in, and
everything works fine.  I can tar to the drive, and untar just fine.
The drive, by the way, holds 5GB uncompressed, 10GB compressed.  If
you use Exabytes special tapes, you can get 7GB uncompressed, 14GB
compressed.

  Supposedly, the drive is fully backward compatible with older model
Exabyte drives.  I have a tape that was created on the Exabyte 8205
model tape drive, which holds 2GB uncompressed, 5GB compresses data.

  When I try to untar the tape, I get the error: tar -- incorrect
block size.  I've tried a number of different things, including all of
the block sizes from 512 to 8192; I've tried to dd the tape into a
file and then tar the file (still incorrect block size); I've tried to
create new devices with the different minor numbers as listed in the
SCSI HOWTO -- those new devices (created with mknod) simply return a
no such device error when I try to access them.

  If anyone has any ideas as to how I can read my tape using my tape
drive, I'd love to hear them!  Thanks very much for any help....

Brian Markenson                     |  System Consultant

http://server.berkeley.edu/~brianm  |  Magician, SF Fan, Puzzler, Gamer

Post by John Paul Morris » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>  Supposedly, the drive is fully backward compatible with older model
>Exabyte drives.  I have a tape that was created on the Exabyte 8205
>model tape drive, which holds 2GB uncompressed, 5GB compresses data.

>  When I try to untar the tape, I get the error: tar -- incorrect
>block size.  I've tried a number of different things, including all of
>the block sizes from 512 to 8192; I've tried to dd the tape into a
>file and then tar the file (still incorrect block size); I've tried to
>create new devices with the different minor numbers as listed in the
>SCSI HOWTO -- those new devices (created with mknod) simply return a
>no such device error when I try to access them.

you need to get mt-st and use  the setblk and setdensity commands.

setblk 0 and setdensity 0 seems to get it to autodetect

The Exabyte web page has density codes to use for the different formats
(8200, 8200 compressed, 8500, 8500 compressed).

>  If anyone has any ideas as to how I can read my tape using my tape
>drive, I'd love to hear them!  Thanks very much for any help....

>--
>Brian Markenson                     |  System Consultant

>http://server.berkeley.edu/~brianm  |  Magician, SF Fan, Puzzler, Gamer

BogoMIPS Research Labs  --  bogosity research & simulation  --  VE7JPM  --

1. Exabyte EXB-8505XL Tape Drive

I'm trying to get an Exabyte EXB-8505XL tape drive to work correctly under
Solaris 6.  At the moment it only writes when accessing it via
/dev/rmt/0lb(n).  This drops the capacity down to 2GB and of course the
transmission rate drops through the floor.  If I try writing to /dev/rmt/0m
(5GB format) or /dev/rmt/0h (5GB compressed format) ufsdump complains of
write errors part way through the tape.  According to the docs I've been
able to find, the EXB-8505XL is supported natively under Solaris.  I took a
glance at the /kernel/drv/st.conf file anyway and was surprised to see that
all the lines are commented out apart from the "name=" ones.  Is this
normal?  If I change the st.conf file all I have to do is bring the system
down and do a boot -r correct?  If the st.conf shouldn't need to be changed
would I be right in thinking the drive is no longer in a healthy state?

Thanks for any help.

Matt Burgess

2. important findings: 15bpp, 16bpp?

3. How to set compression on Exabyte 8505XL tape drive

4. 3com 3c589d pcmcia card

5. Solaris ufsdump: only getting 5GB/tape with 8505XL drive and 160m tapes ...

6. M-JPEG (AVI) to MPEG1

7. Recommendations for SCSI controller to drive Exabyte EXB-8200 tape drive?

8. named funny

9. SCSI help ... PAS 16 + Exabyte 8200 tape drive ...

10. SUMMARY: 5G Exabyte drives with non-Exabyte tapes

11. SUMMARY: 5G Exabyte drives w/ non-Exabyte tapes

12. 5G Exabyte drives with non-Exabyte tapes

13. can't see Exabyte scsi tape drive