Dynamic DNS service on own Linux system

Post by Otto Wy » Wed, 16 May 2001 06:04:00

I have 2 computers connected to a provider each with DHCP. So each time
I use a connection I get a new IP address. This is annoying if I want to
communicate between these 2 computers.

What is the easiest solution for this? Is there a solution to install a
dynamic DNS service on one of my computers without using a full DNS
server? Or are there other ways to fix the naming problem?

O. Wyss

Post by S. Hol » Wed, 16 May 2001 06:30:35

> I have 2 computers connected to a provider each with DHCP. So each time
> I use a connection I get a new IP address. This is annoying if I want to
> communicate between these 2 computers.

> What is the easiest solution for this? Is there a solution to install a
> dynamic DNS service on one of my computers without using a full DNS
> server? Or are there other ways to fix the naming problem?

> O. Wyss

www.dhs.org
works pretty good on my box ;-)
steph

1. ddclient to update dynamic DNS entries at a dynamic DNS service

I have a linux machine setup in our high school computer lab.  I've set up
an account with a dynamic DNS service and have given the computer a hostname
supported by the service.  I downloaded and installed a linux client called
ddclient to update the dynamic DNS IP address entries so that the hostname
always points to the linux box.  IP addresses are dynamically assigned by a
dhcp server in our school district.  The question I have is does ddclient
start automatically when I start the linux computer?  Here are the
installation instructions that I followed.  Ddclient was downloaded as a tar
file, which I extracted.  I copied the ddclient file to /usr/sbin/  and I
copied the configuration file, ddclient.conf, to /etc/ddclient.conf and
customized it to my dynamic dns service provider.  Are those steps
sufficient to enable ddclient to run automatically when I start linux?   If
not, what else do I need to do?  There is reference in the readme file about
running ddclient as a daemon, but no specific instructions about that for
the installation instructions I followed, unless copying the files to their
locations described above accomplishes that.

2. does freebsd support scsi cdrom with 1024 bytes block transfers?

3. my own dynamic dns

4. growfs

5. Free Dynamic DNS, SMTP & HTTP Forwarding Services

6. Proteon Pronet Token Ring driver

7. good and free dynamic DNS service?

8. autofs

9. IP Registry and Dynamic DNS services

10. Anyone using a dynamic dns service

11. Free Dynamic DNS, SMTP & HTTP Forwarding Services

12. yet another free dynamic DNS service

13. Recommendations for dynamic DNS service (esp for real domain + MX spool)?