NEWBIE question: Redhat Linux 7.1 to Windows 2000 ftp and general access

NEWBIE question: Redhat Linux 7.1 to Windows 2000 ftp and general access

Post by John Smit » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:43:47

Hello All,

I'd appreciated if someone can help me. I have installed Linux (Redhat 7.1)
on a machine at home. I also have Win 2000 on another machine (at home). I
have setup the IP address on both, and I can ping the Windows machine from
the Linux box. However I can't ping the Linux box from the Windows machine.
I'm trying to copy some RPMs from my Windows machine (in particular Samba -
since I hear that will provide connectivity between the two OS's).

Here is a session from the Linux machine I'm running the KDE environment. I
open a console window and login as root.

I'll reproduce my session here:

ftp>
ftp> ftp open NEPTUNE
Connected to NEPTUNE
220   NEPTUNE   Microsoft   FTP  service (Version 5.0)
Name NEPTUNE:root: Administrator
Password:
230 User Administrator logged in
Remote System type is Windows_NT
ftp> ls -la
227 Entering Passive Mode (IP adress displayed here)
125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting
226 Transfer complete
ftp>

From the Win2k machine:

I receive:

Unknown Host ZEN

Any ideas ?

TIA

NEWBIE question: Redhat Linux 7.1 to Windows 2000 ftp and general access

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 11:27:20

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:43:47 -0000, John Smith staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

>I'll reproduce my session here:

>ftp> ftp open NEPTUNE
>Connected to NEPTUNE
>220   NEPTUNE   Microsoft   FTP  service (Version 5.0)
>Name NEPTUNE:root: Administrator
>Password:
>230 User Administrator logged in
>Remote System type is Windows_NT
>ftp> ls -la
>227 Entering Passive Mode (IP adress displayed here)
>125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting
>226 Transfer complete
>ftp>

>From the Win2k machine:
>Unknown Host ZEN
>Any ideas ?

Classic misteak.  Your Linux machine doesn't have an entry in whatever
you're using as a DNS server, so attempting to connect by using its
hostname is failing.  Easiest solution is to put the Linux machine in
the 'Doze machine's %SYSTEMROOT%\LMHOSTS.SAM file.  (This file is
actually reasonably well documented, just edit it with Notepad or
GVIM.EXE and things will be fine...)

For further info, consult O'Reilly's TCP/IP book (the Crab Book) and
read the Networking-HOWTO.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. red hat linux 7.1 on windows 2000

Hi,
  I am having trouble installing red hat linux 7.1 on my pc
which already has windows 2000 (professional). When I installed
windows 2000 I partitioned my hard disk (40 GB) into two
partitions of 20 GB and installed windows 2000 in the first one.
Now when I tried to install red hat linux 7.1, using the disk drub
program for partitioning, it wouldn't allow me to create a /boot
partition because this is located beyond 1024'th cylinder. So I went
to the other option of using fcdisk (something like this) and created
the partitions manually by specifying the cylinder ranges for each
partition. After doing this I was able to proceed. I checked the option
of not putting lilo on MBR but in the root sector of its own partition.
Besides I also checked for creating a boot disk. It reached the stage
where it said that it has received all the information and clicking next
will make it right this on to the hard disk. So after copying the image
for 5 mins it stops saying error encountered (probably out of disk space).
I wonder how is this possible. The size of the os image is definitely
less than 2 GB , and I have space of 20GB.
  1. Am I doing something wrong.
  2. Should I have a different kind of partition.
 Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.
thanks.

2. BUG: segmentation violation?

3. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

4. Ethernet: Stratus, HP9000, RS/6000 Connect

5. Windows 2000 Professional / WD 45 GB HD / Red Hat 7.1

6. Linux -> SMC Card & Networking

7. Windows 2000 and Red Hat 7.1 Problems

8. HP tape drive under Solaris2.3: Please HELP!

9. Corel Office 2000 on RedHat 7.1

10. install Windows 2000 or SuSE 7.1 first?

11. dual boot windows Me and RH 7.1 using system commander 2000

12. redhat 7.1 and win 2000

13. Redhat 7.1 firewall and Windows FTP server