Need SCO emulator!

Need SCO emulator!

Post by Peter Wyzl » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00



Date: 17 Mar 96, 22:08

You wrote in /comp/os/linux/misc on "Re: Need SCO emulator!":

Quote:>I have the iBCS2 module installed here.  Where can I get a SCO binary to
>test it on?

There is a demo version of WordPerfect 6.0 (SC0). Try ftp://
ftp.wordperfect.com -- perhaps they have it. For the installation look  
into the "WordPerfect Mini Howto".

It's very bulky, about 20 megs. So I didn't install it. You have to run it  
under X. BTW somewhere around the net I have seen also a version of WP 5.1  
(SCO) which is much smaller.

\bye
Peter
--
RUN-TIME ERROR 321: USER INCOMPETENT - ABORT, RETRY, IGNORE?

 
 
 

Need SCO emulator!

Post by Lars Boegild Thoms » Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:00:00



>There is a demo version of WordPerfect 6.0 (SC0). Try ftp://
>ftp.wordperfect.com -- perhaps they have it. For the installation look  
>into the "WordPerfect Mini Howto".
>It's very bulky, about 20 megs. So I didn't install it. You have to run it  
>under X. BTW somewhere around the net I have seen also a version of WP 5.1  
>(SCO) which is much smaller.

Does anybody know it it's posible to run the WP 5.1 textmode version on
Linux?  That would be quite interesting.
--
See you

        //Lars Boegild Thomsen...

 
 
 

Need SCO emulator!

Post by Seth Arnol » Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:00:00



> I have the iBCS2 module installed here.  Where can I get a SCO binary to
> test it on?

Just test one of the binaries that you need the ibcs2 module for. :)

--
Seth Arnold | From a new *linux* system! | PGP available!

 
 
 

Need SCO emulator!

Post by Mike Jagdi » Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:00:00



LT> Does anybody know it it's posible to run the WP 5.1 textmode
LT> version on Linux?  That would be quite interesting.

Interesting? That's history! It has been possible to do that with the iBCS
module for, oh, something like three years now.

                                Mike  

 
 
 

Need SCO emulator!

Post by Danny Willia » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00


Quote:>> I have the iBCS2 module installed here.  Where can I get a SCO binary to
>> test it on?
>Just test one of the binaries that you need the ibcs2 module for. :)

I have the same situation - I'd like to get a system ready and
successfully running SCO binaries before I send away for the time
limited demo copy of the database software I'd like to run. If the
test goes well, THEN we spend the $1,000 for the live software.
 
 
 

Need SCO emulator!

Post by R. Wierzbic » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00


: >> I have the iBCS2 module installed here.  Where can I get a SCO binary to

By the way, has anyone succesfully installed iBCS on a 1.3.x system?

 
 
 

Need SCO emulator!

Post by Scott Abe » Mon, 01 Apr 1996 04:00:00



> >> I have the iBCS2 module installed here.  Where can I get a SCO binary to
> >> test it on?

> >Just test one of the binaries that you need the ibcs2 module for. :)

> I have the same situation - I'd like to get a system ready and
> successfully running SCO binaries before I send away for the time
> limited demo copy of the database software I'd like to run. If the
> test goes well, THEN we spend the $1,000 for the live software.

Check out:  ftp://ftp.sco.COM/Skunk/ODT_3/CD-ROM/bin/
Skunk is vendor-supplied stuff that is free but unsupported by SCO.

BTW I am having trouble with iBCS.  When not loaded I get
bash: cannot execute file

which makes sense because the SCO binary is 80386 COFF and linux by
default cannot load these.  But after rebooting and loading iBCS i just
get "Segmentation Fault" on bash or "Memory Fault" on ksh when trying to
run these SCO executables.  I have tried files from both SCO ODT 2.0 and
SCO ODT 3.0.  Other runtime-loadable modules (fs/sysv.o fs/msdos.o) work
fine, so I think I'm doing the runtime loadable config correctly.  I am
running Yggdrasil Fall 95 CDROM  (1.2.13).  iBCS version is 1.2-950413.  

My pc is a Nexgen 586 _without_ math coprocessor, which seems to work
fine with linux.
Sometimes dos/windows programs don't recognize my pc as being a later
generation cpu, though, because of the lack of fp instructions. Any
suggestions?

 
 
 

Need SCO emulator!

Post by Mike Jagdi » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00



SA> I am running Yggdrasil Fall 95 CDROM  (1.2.13).  iBCS version is
SA> 1.2-950413.

1.2.13 and 950413 don't match up. You should certainly have a newer iBCS
than 950413 - there was a release followed by two patches, one of which was
needed because extra error checking was added to the kernel IPC that
revealed a bug.

  Since 1.2.13 is the current stable kernel the latest iBCS from
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/BETA/ibcs2/ is what you want. Don't worry whether
it says -1.2- or -1.3- that is just an indication of the latest kernel
series worth trying it against (the current stable kernel is always
supported). The real version identifier is the date in YYMMDD form.

                                Mike  

 
 
 

Need SCO emulator!

Post by Chris Ruprech » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00


;-) Why does that sound familiar ...

Quote:

> BTW I am having trouble with iBCS.  When not loaded I get
> bash: cannot execute file

> which makes sense because the SCO binary is 80386 COFF and linux by
> default cannot load these.  But after rebooting and loading iBCS i just
> get "Segmentation Fault" on bash or "Memory Fault" on ksh when trying to
> run these SCO executables.  I have tried files from both SCO ODT 2.0 and
> SCO ODT 3.0.  Other runtime-loadable modules (fs/sysv.o fs/msdos.o) work
> fine, so I think I'm doing the runtime loadable config correctly.  I am
> running Yggdrasil Fall 95 CDROM  (1.2.13).  iBCS version is 1.2-950413.

You need the SCO shared libraries, they live in /shlib. You can get them from
ftp.sco.com, they are in the /shlib directory. I don't know if SCO would like you to
have them, my guess is they don't, but since they are on their ftp server ...

Quote:

> My pc is a Nexgen 586 _without_ math coprocessor, which seems to work
> fine with linux.

Doesn't really matter.

Quote:> Sometimes dos/windows programs don't recognize my pc as being a later
> generation cpu, though, because of the lack of fp instructions. Any
> suggestions?

Something you don't want to hear: Get a Pentium.

Regards,
Chris
--
----------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

        System Analysis, Programming,   |
  Shareware, Freeware and PD Software   | Snail Mail:             P.O.Box 2485
 PROGRESS, Linux, SCO, Apple Macintosh  |          Edenvale 1610, South Africa
 Strictly: Non-Smoking, Nuclear Free    | URL:     http://rupeden.olivetti.za/

 
 
 

1. Need SCO emulator!


DK> I would need a SCO emulator (or equivalent) for X-Word
DK> Perfect's SCO Unix DEMO
DK> (Comes with Slackware 2.3). If anyone could tell me were I
DK> could get this (ftp site) thanx!!!!

tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/BETA/ibcs2.

                                Mike  

2. DNS problems with Netscape 20

3. Speech recognition expert on linux sought

4. HELP NEEDED: Need DOS emulator for WABI under Solaris

5. HTTP response messages

6. SCO Emulator for Solaris ?

7. Remote dumps from Solaris

8. tn3270 emulators for sco

9. SCO emulator for Linux in elf format ?

10. Kernel config.in and ibcs SCO emulator

11. TN3720 Terminal Emulator for SCO OpenServer 5.02

12. terminal emulator for sco console?