Filesystem always reported as 100% full

Post by Sam Jorda » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello

I'm using SUSE 6.4 and I'm having problems with one of my
filesystems. It's always 100% full (according to 'df'), regardless how
many files are deleted. I'm sure that this must be an error, but I
have absolutely no idea how to correct it. As far as I remember even
running 'fsck' did not change anything. I am slowly getting troubles
with different applications, for example some of my Java apps refuse
to write to files anymore. Here is the output of 'df':

Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3              3927769   3821206         0 100% /
/dev/hda1                 7496      3019      4077  43% /boot
/dev/hdc                116654    116654         0 100% /cdrom

Thanks in advance for any ideas. If possible please include my

bye
--
Sam Jordan

Post by Miroslaw Kwasnia » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

SJ>Hello
SJ>
SJ>I'm using SUSE 6.4 and I'm having problems with one of my
SJ>filesystems. It's always 100% full (according to 'df'), regardless how
SJ>many files are deleted. I'm sure that this must be an error, but I
SJ>have absolutely no idea how to correct it. As far as I remember even
SJ>running 'fsck' did not change anything. I am slowly getting troubles
SJ>with different applications, for example some of my Java apps refuse
SJ>to write to files anymore. Here is the output of 'df':
SJ>
SJ>Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
SJ>/dev/hda3              3927769   3821206         0 100% /
SJ>/dev/hda1                 7496      3019      4077  43% /boot
SJ>/dev/hdc                116654    116654         0 100% /cdrom
SJ>
SJ>Thanks in advance for any ideas. If possible please include my

Some of space in ext2 (usually 5%) is reserved for root use.
When your usage will be below 3731381 (=0.95*3927769) you get space for
non-root.

Mirek

Post by Dave Bro » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>filesystems. It's always 100% full (according to 'df'), regardless how
>many files are deleted. I'm sure that this must be an error, but I
>have absolutely no idea how to correct it. As far as I remember even
>running 'fsck' did not change anything. I am slowly getting troubles
>with different applications, for example some of my Java apps refuse
>to write to files anymore. Here is the output of 'df':

>Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>/dev/hda3              3927769   3821206         0 100% /

Filesystems have a reserve of about 5% that only root can write into.
Hence, for a 3G partition, there's about 150MB that is usable only by
root.

This amount is changeable with tune2fs.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Post by n.. » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>>filesystems. It's always 100% full (according to 'df'), regardless how
>>many files are deleted. I'm sure that this must be an error, but I
>>have absolutely no idea how to correct it. As far as I remember even
>>running 'fsck' did not change anything. I am slowly getting troubles
>>with different applications, for example some of my Java apps refuse
>>to write to files anymore. Here is the output of 'df':

>>Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>>/dev/hda3              3927769   3821206         0 100% /

Yes I had this exact same problem under SuSE 6.4 when I changed the default
inode size (thinking I would get better performance).
If all the inodes are used for a partition no matter what the size
you will always get "partition full" messages.

My solution was to revert the partition inodes size to the default(s) under SuSE

Cheers, Grahame
--
Webpage -> http://www.wildpossum.com
Email -> grahame (AT) wildpossum (DOT) com

Filesystem always reported as 100% full

Post by Jeffrey S. Klin » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I think I agree here too... It sounds like he's got a goofy inode to file
count issue thats causing him to run out of space...

Usually the defaults work for almost anyone. When you deviate from those
defaults, then you have to sit down and manually figure out what is going on
the drive, and how much space you need for it, then calculate this against
an inode count. As much as I'd like it to be, it's never an exact science
either.

As an example, one of the drives on my server at home is reserved exclusivly
for MP3 files. These things typically kill 5Meg on average (for me anyway-I
use 256bit ordering in the convert). So I was able to come up with a count
that set my clustering at 2k for this volume and it's been pretty efficient.

The other thing I noticed is that he didn't reserve a separate partition for
/var or /tmp... I probably would recommend that so you don't risk trashing
the root or it's files.

Cheers;
Jeff

Post by Dave Bro » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>I think I agree here too... It sounds like he's got a goofy inode to file
>count issue thats causing him to run out of space...

You can find out what the inode-used status is by:

  df -i

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

1. Filesystem reports 100% full when it isn't

I have an Ultra-10 that reports that the / filesystem is 100% even though
there is free space.  Even after deleting files, df still shows 100%.
I figured that it was probably a bug, and installing the latest patches would
help, but I can't do that because patchadd reports that there isn't enough
space!

When this used to happen to me on HP/UX, rebooting fixed the problem, but
that doesn't help me either in this case

--
Tony Smolar
Email: asmolar-at-(mediaone)dot.net

2. Chilean Public Pension System (INP) Switches to Linux

3. HELP: df reports hd=100% FULL...incorrect!!!

4. DVD Problem

5. df misreporting 100% usage on 25% full filesystem

6. IPMASQ vs. Firewall

7. Questions about 100% full root filesystem

8. Desi wants to be your spell-check Bitch

9. newbie - root filesystem is 100% full

10. 10 full/half 100 full/half

11. full filesystems not reported by syslog

12. 'df' continues to report filesystem full after files deleted

13. filesystem full -> It's not full