X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

Post by sgag » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 02:55:36

Just like it says in the subject line.

Just upgraded Debian to woody from potato (i.e., X 3.3.6 to 4.0.3)

Any ideas?

TIA,

- Steve

X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

Post by Kevi » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:05:39

    The party line on this is:

    - Make sure xfs (the X font server) is running and not
      reporting errors in the logs.
    - Make sure /tmp isn't filling up, if xfs runs through a
      socket.  Redhat runs xfs on tcp port 7100 instead.

    None of that worked for me.  xfs is running on a socket, and
    my disk space is fine.  I had to add the font paths from
    /etc/X11/fs/config to my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  I'm on
    Mandrake 8, your files could be somewhere else on Debian.

    G'luck....

Post by Hal Burgi » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:12:10

>Just like it says in the subject line.

>Just upgraded Debian to woody from potato (i.e., X 3.3.6 to 4.0.3)

>Any ideas?

Does this use xfs as a font server? Check diskspace problems for one
thing. Also, permissiions on /tmp. Assuming xfs.

--
Hal B

--

Post by Federico Brav » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 18:22:30

> Just like it says in the subject line.

> Just upgraded Debian to woody from potato (i.e., X 3.3.6 to 4.0.3)

> Any ideas?

> TIA,

> - Steve

It happened to me, on my RH 7.0, just after removing all files from
/tmp. I think it was an authorization problem, since as I removed
.Xauthority from /home/user it it turned out to work again.  I don't
remember if it was .ICEauthority too.  Maybe this helps.
Federico Bravo.

Post by sgag » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 20:31:54

> > Just like it says in the subject line.

> > Just upgraded Debian to woody from potato (i.e., X 3.3.6 to 4.0.3)

> > Any ideas?

> > TIA,

> > - Steve

> It happened to me, on my RH 7.0, just after removing all files from
> /tmp. I think it was an authorization problem, since as I removed
> .Xauthority from /home/user it it turned out to work again.  I don't
> remember if it was .ICEauthority too.  Maybe this helps

Alas, that wasn't it. I seem to recall seeing this problem crop up months
ago, but I can't find a reference to it. It's getting a bit frustrating!

But thanks for trying to help!

- Steve

X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

Post by Nis » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 03:37:40

I got the same problem today, and I don't know alot about Linux / Redhat
7.1.

My friend made this installation yesterday, and the startx command
worked fine, several times and after shutdown/reboot.
But today i can't get into X.
I can see when i start X that X font server don't get [ OK ].
I made a dump of the X startup to a file and it shows this:

Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType" does not
exist.
         Entry deleted from font path.
(**) FontPath set to "unix/:7100"
And
(--) S3: Using 16 planes of 736x709 at (0,601) aligned 8 as font cache
_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:7100'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
Can anybody tell me, in english, how I can get this to work again, cause
I just love the way Linux handles Apache, PHP and MySQL together.

Thanks....

> Just like it says in the subject line.

> Just upgraded Debian to woody from potato (i.e., X 3.3.6 to 4.0.3)

> Any ideas?

> TIA,

> - Steve

X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

Post by Jesper Peterse » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 04:00:36

 sgage> Just like it says in the subject line.  Just upgraded Debian
 sgage> to woody from potato (i.e., X 3.3.6 to 4.0.3)

 sgage> Any ideas?

Use tasksel to re-install the X packages - there is a problem with X when
upgrading. The package you're missing is the xfonts-base, but I don't
think installing this alone will solve your problem - more problems
might just follow...

Jesper

Post by Jesper Peterse » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 19:21:57

 sgage> Just like it says in the subject line.  Just upgraded Debian
 sgage> to woody from potato (i.e., X 3.3.6 to 4.0.3)

 sgage> Any ideas?

Reinstall your X packages with tasksel if you can. Especially
xfonts-base and xserver-xfree86.

I've seen someone suggest "apt-get -f dist-upgrade"

Just try some different things, eventually something will work.

Jesper

X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

Post by Kevi » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 01:34:56

    Reinstalling the X packages did *NOT* work for me.  Rather, I
    had to circumvent the X font server, xfs, in the
    /etc/X11/XF86Config[-4] file by adding "FontPath"s to the
    file.  See my earlier post (google, etc) for more specifics.

Quote:> Reinstall your X packages with tasksel if you can. Especially
> xfonts-base and xserver-xfree86.

1. Error when starting X: "couldn't open default font 'fixed'"

Hey all.  I've just installed XFree86 3.3.3.1 over my Red Hat 4.1.  I have a
Matrox Millenium 2 (4Mb) card, and I ran Xconfigurator to create my
XF86Config file.

  When trying to run startx, I get the following message:

Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
failed to set default font path '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/'
Fatal server error:
couldn't open default font 'fixed'

  After looking at some documentation on the XF86Config file, I checked to
make sure all of the directories
    misc, Type1, Speedo, and 75dpi   existed, and they did.  After more
reading, I ran mkfontdir on each of these directories.

  Still no luck...

  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help!!

  ALSO!  I was going to try running XF86Setup, however, it gives me an error
telling me to set an environment variable for XWINHOME equal to the parent
directory of XFree86's bin directory.  How do I do that so that I can run
XF86Setup?

  Thanks again!

  - Jeff M. Coon

2. BIOS32_init FAILED

3. Fatal server error: couldn't open default font 'fixed'

4. Simulating the WWW environment

5. startx => Fatal server error => couldn't open default font 'fixed'

6. sync passwd in HACMP

7. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

8. redhat or slackware?

9. X won't start "could not find font 'fixed'"

10. could not open default font 'fixed' ??

11. XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'

12. Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'