HELP! parallel port cd-r drive not working

HELP! parallel port cd-r drive not working

Post by Mark Ramo » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to get  a parallel port cd-r drive to work in Linux and
haven't been successful.  Output from dmesg reports it as a Yamaha
crw4261.  I downloaded the latest cdrecord program  (1.6.1) and I get
the following errors when trying to create a dummy create.  It is also
set to speed=1.  I also tried a different disk and I received the same
problem.

<cut>
Blocks total: 333750 Blocks current: 333750 Blocks remaining: 304892
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in dummy mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 1 seconds.
Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer ... input-buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 0
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd:
retryable
error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 04 40 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x00 (logical block address out of range) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 32768
cmd finished after 2.177s timeout 40s

write track data: error after 2228224 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Writing  time:   36.985s
Fixating...
WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode.
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: faio_wait_on_buffer for writer timed out.

Fixating time:  244.498s
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: fifo had 196 puts and 69 gets.
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 2 times full, min
fill was 71%.
<cut>

I tried changing the mode for the parallel port in CMOS but it only has
options for flexible and standard.  It was initially on flexible and
changed it to standard but I still have the same problem.
Help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark Ramos

HELP! parallel port cd-r drive not working

Post by t.. » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've been watching the post and there hasn't been any answeres.  I
myself have been thinking about purching a cd-r drive and would like
anybody who may know an answer or sugestion to try so if this happens
to me when I buy on, I'll know what to do...

>I am trying to get  a parallel port cd-r drive to work in Linux and
>haven't been successful.  Output from dmesg reports it as a Yamaha
>crw4261.  I downloaded the latest cdrecord program  (1.6.1) and I get
>the following errors when trying to create a dummy create.  It is also
>set to speed=1.  I also tried a different disk and I received the same
>problem.

><cut>
>Blocks total: 333750 Blocks current: 333750 Blocks remaining: 304892
>Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in dummy mode for single session.
>Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 1 seconds.
>Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer ... input-buffer ready.
>Starting new track at sector: 0
>/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd:
>retryable
>error
>CDB:  2A 00 00 00 04 40 00 00 10 00
>status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00
>Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
>Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x00 (logical block address out of range) Fru 0x0
>Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>resid: 32768
>cmd finished after 2.177s timeout 40s

>write track data: error after 2228224 bytes
>Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>Writing  time:   36.985s
>Fixating...
>WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode.
>/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: faio_wait_on_buffer for writer timed out.

>Fixating time:  244.498s
>/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: fifo had 196 puts and 69 gets.
>/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 2 times full, min
>fill was 71%.
><cut>

>I tried changing the mode for the parallel port in CMOS but it only has
>options for flexible and standard.  It was initially on flexible and
>changed it to standard but I still have the same problem.
>Help is appreciated!

>Thanks,

>Mark Ramos

1. HELP using Mountain parallel port CD drive to be recognized by Linux

I was wondering if anyone out there could explain to me how I can install
Linux on my laptop (NEC Versa S/50) using Mountain's SideCar CD connected to
my parallel port.  Obviously the drivers for the CD Rom are executable only
under DOS...so how can I access the drive under Linux?  Can I copy the files
to my DOS partition and access them with Linux?  I've enabled Linux to view my
DOS partition.  The only problem with the partition is that I only have
roughly 14MB left on it...so I don't know if copying files onto it will work
due to the space restraint.

I've never seen anything addressed re: parallel port CD ROM access in any
Linux documentation.  Is there a utility or SOMETHING out there that will
help?  Also...I don't plan on using the CD ROM player except for the
installation of Linux (Slackware dist.).

Please, please, please help me with this!!!

2. Problems configuring ATI-Busmouse & SK-G16 Ethernet NIC

3. external CD-ROM drive through parallel port (MicroSolutions)

4. Anyone running FireWire card?

5. parallel port CD-ROM drive and linux install

6. Mandrake 7.2

7. Install from a Parallel port CD-ROM drive?

8. Not a lot to say ...

9. CD Drive on Parallel port

10. Parallel Port CD Drives

11. Parallel-port CD-ROM drives for notebook computers

12. Linux support for BackPack Parallel Port CD drives?

13. CD-ROM Drive (Parallel Port)