stty -a /dev/ttyS0 is locked ... ?

Post by Peter Jord » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I chnaged the clocal flag .. I can't remember which way cause I can't
check to confirm and now I can't even look at the settings.
I did this without anything connected to the serial port.
How can I reset this without rebooting ?

PeterJordan

stty -a /dev/ttyS0 is locked ... ?

Post by Vern Hox » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I chnaged the clocal flag .. I can't remember which way cause I can't
>check to confirm and now I can't even look at the settings.
>I did this without anything connected to the serial port.
>How can I reset this without rebooting ?

Check for any processes running on 'cua0'.  Also look for
/var/locl/uucp/LCK...ttyS0' files.  Remove them after checking that 'init'
is not respawning a getty on this port.  For this, comment out any line
containing 'ttyS0' or 'cua0'.

Setting device driver flags is not a normal method of changing 'struct
termios' flags.  Most programs which use a serial device will rest them
themselves.  In summary, the 'stty' command is transient will be wiped out
when another program starts.

Get my 'serial_suite.tgz' file from 'scicom.alphacdc.com' via ftp.  Log in
as 'anonymous' then use your full e-mail address as a password.  It
contains several serial port utilities and a blurb about the meaning of all
the 'struct termios' flags.

vern

--
Vernon C. Hoxie                                           scicom!zebra!vern

Denver, Colo., 80212        uucp: 303-455-2670          voice: 303-477-1780
               Unix is what MSDOS will be when it grows up.

1. /dev/ttys0 or /dev/ttyS0?

I have been rather confused after reading the documentation and the FAQ
(March 1993) for Linux. Some places the first serial port is referred to as
/dev/ttys0 and some places it is referred to as /dev/ttyS0. Are these just
typos and if so which one is correct???. In my /dev directory I have ttys0,
ttys1 etc. Did the device names change between releases?? I have the .99p4
release ( I know the current release is patchlevel 8, but I cannot afford the
time to reinstall Linux every three weeks when a new patchlevel is introduced!

2. smb_auth with Win2k

3. pppd 2.4.0 forgets to remove lock on /dev/ttyS0

4. FIC SD11 troubles

5. /dev/cua0 vs. /dev/ttyS0

6. Linux for NEC Ultralite Versa?

7. Unable to bind to /dev/cua0 or /dev/ttyS0

8. Audio cable requirement?

9. Difference between /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/cua0

10. releasing locks -lock on /dev/cua2

11. Cant get ppp connection anymore - ttyS0 lock file problem

12. Locking /dev/ttya or /dev/ttyb

13. ttys0 is locked by pid 1152