Suse 6.4?

Post by NTK » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone got Suse6.4 and how does it look?
I am running Mandrake7, but I would like to try Suse6.4 out.
Where can I download ISO image of Suse6.4?

thanks.

Suse 6.4?

Post by Boris Epstei » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

You can get SuSE6.4 at
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/evaluation-6.4.iso

I have yet to try it myself.

> Has anyone got Suse6.4 and how does it look?
> I am running Mandrake7, but I would like to try Suse6.4 out.
> Where can I download ISO image of Suse6.4?

> thanks.

> --

Boris Epstein
606 Main Street, #3
Malden, MA 02148

Home (781) 324-1894
Cellular (617) 816-9654

Suse 6.4?

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:47:01 -0400, Boris Epstein

Quote:>Hi there,

>You can get SuSE6.4 at
>ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/evaluation-6.4.iso

I did that and tried it out, both as a fresh install and an update to an
existing system.  The fresh install had a few problems, namely:
1. no option to install LILO on the MBR, leading to difficulty later
2. autodetected 3c905B network card, used 3c90x module for it, which
caused wretched kernel faults on an attempt to ifconfig.
3. ALSA sound driver by default.  Sure, it's supposed to be good, but it's
a royal PITA to get working right.

#1 was distressing because the machine I freshly installed on had NT on it
before--therefore, it had no "standard" DOS MBR.  Had to muck with a
rescue disk and LILO to get it to boot properly.

#2 was solved by replacing "alias eth0 3c90x" with "alias eth0 3c59x" in
/etc/conf.modules.  3c59x just works, 3c90x seems to have bugs.

#3 was fixed in a similar fashion to #2, using the OSS modules instead of
ALSA for the CS4236 sound chip.

Also, the evaluation image is curiously lacking from my perspective.  No
GNOME, no xmms, reported problems with Netscape.  RedHat 6.2 seemed to
have more stuff that the average user would find nifty.

Updating an existing SuSE 6.1 system with the 6.4 eval image was a piece
of cake, though, and nothing br0ke.  *SHRUG*

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

Suse 6.4?

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

For some reason I didn't get the original message, so this is a follow-up
to him, not you Boris. :>

>> Has anyone got Suse6.4 and how does it look?

I've got it. Looks pretty good. A few problems I've encountered thus far;

 o My mouse, being a PS/2 connected via a PS/2-serial adapter, wouldn't
work for the GUI install so I had to revert to straight YaST to install.
My friend's mouse, being straight serial, worked for the install however.

 o There doesn't appear to be any way to select packages in YaST2 (the
GUI YaST) with the keyboard. The instructions tell you to double-click a
package to select it.

 o Nearing the end of the installation for my friend, the GUI locked (about at
step 6, I believe, where it was going to configure X).

 o Neither he or I can make our mouse work with a kernel.org 2.2.14 kernel,
compiled from scratch according to the README file, however the 2.2.14-SuSE
kernel supports the mouse just fine.

 o When installing XFree86 v4.0 over the included XFree86 v3.3.6 (I believe),
I encountered a problem where /sbin/SuSEconfig would change the symbolic link
'X' to point to the outdated X server rather than the new XFree86 binary, which
I would have to change back manually. I've since un-installed the XFree86 that
came bundled with SuSE and re-installed XFree86 v4.0, and all seems to be well.

 o The versions of ld.so, glib, and gtk+ appear to be quite old, and had to
be manually upgraded.

That's it so far. It's nice and quick, I haven't found any other severe
problems, yet have noticed a few handy features. If you can make the GUI
install work properly, it will not only tell you that you have two conflicting
packages installed, it will also pop up a list asking you which one you want
to install! For example, if you tried to install both the Linux includes and
the kernel sources, it would ask you for one or the other - but not both.

Quote:>> I am running Mandrake7, but I would like to try Suse6.4 out.

Mandrake looks pretty good, but I don't like the installer (choices are
too limited - I prefer the ability to select individual packages, not use
the MS-esque category install).

Quote:>> Where can I download ISO image of Suse6.4?

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/, or
ftp://ftp.sourceforge.net/mounts/u1/mirrors/suse/suse/

I downloaded mine at the latter, as their transfer rates were much faster.

The ISO for 6.4 is the biggest ISO I've seen yet of SuSE, coming in at 675M.
Fits quite nicely on a CDR, without much room to spare. ;> They've really got
it packed with packages, so I'd say it's well worth the download.

--

Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.2.14

Suse 6.4?

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:05:17 GMT, Stewart Honsberger

shouted forth into the ether:

>>Updating an existing SuSE 6.1 system with the 6.4 eval image was a piece
>>of cake, though, and nothing br0ke.  *SHRUG*

>BTW - when you upgraded, did you upgrade your GlibC to 2.1? If so, how did
>that go?

Sort of.  Back in December, I d/led and compiled glibc2.1 from source, so
for most intents and purposes, glibc2.1 was already installed on the
system.  (rpm -Uvh --nodeps was essential to get *any* newer RPMs
working, though!)  The rpm install from the 6.4 CD wiped out the glibc2.1
that I'd compiled, and AFAIK none of the applications saw the difference
in the slightest.

Also, I booted from the CD to do the update.  Most things don't *LIKE*
having their libc's ripped out from under them, so better to play
safe.  If this had been a production box where downtime was verboten, I
wouldn't have updated glibc via RPM... compile, make install, have static
versions of ln, mount, and bash sitting around in case of catastrophe, and
live with "rpm --nodeps".

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors
But only Light too dim for us to see      \#| Lusers are vicious drama critics
(Unless, of course, you're working with NT)\| BOFHen burn down theatres.

Suse 6.4?

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Updating an existing SuSE 6.1 system with the 6.4 eval image was a piece
>of cake, though, and nothing br0ke.  *SHRUG*

6.1, eh? Damn. That doesn't help me any. I've got 6.0 and 6.2, but only have
6.2 running anymore. My home machine is 6.4 now, so that's a non-issue.

I'm interested to know if anybody's updated a SuSE 6.2 system to 6.4, and if
so, what problems did they have?

BTW - when you upgraded, did you upgrade your GlibC to 2.1? If so, how did
that go?

--

Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.2.14

1. NFS SuSE 6.0 -> SuSE 6.4 don`t work

Hello everybody!

I`ve got the following problem:

there are two Linux-boxes in one network
the first box (SuSE 6.0) exports a given directory (rw) . so  far
everything works fine.
the second box (SuSE 6.4) imports the directory(rw). this also works
fine.
rights are set correct
but whenever I try to write on the mounted directory I`ve no permisssion
to do this.

Please I`ve no idea to solve this and SuSE Supportdatabase says nothing
to this.

greetings to everybody

juergen

to send mails remove NOSPAM
life is to short for reboots

2. Discussion replies using Netscape on SCO

3. Suse 6.4.....................QT library

4. Live Conferencing

5. How to display an AIX CDE session on a Suse 6.4 box

6. CDE or Motif?

7. Epsondrivers for suse 6.4

8. Please help: what is wrong with these PPP script?

9. Compiling kde2.1-beta2 under SuSE 6.4......

10. Connecting Sparc Station 5 (RH 6.0 for Sparc) and SuSE 6.4 via NFS

11. SuSE 6.4 ipchains problems

12. Simple routing/forwarding problem in SuSE 6.4

13. Trying to install Suse 6.4..