Kernel 2.2 won't accept vga=9... how to fix?

Kernel 2.2 won't accept vga=9... how to fix?

Post by Markus Wand » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

If I give the "vga=9" argument to LILO, the kernel complains about an
unsupported video mode and prompts me.  If I then enter "scan" it decides
that the mode is supported after all and uses it.  This happens with both
RH6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 and on both of my machines (one modern, one ancient.)

Is there a workaround?  I like mode 9 but I don't want to have to do this
at every bootup.

Markus

Kernel 2.2 won't accept vga=9... how to fix?

Post by Randy Reimer » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Try       vga = 0x9   (or 0x09)  works for my setup - both RedHat 6.0 and
SUSE 6.1
Had the same problem for awhile - then watched the prompts and error
messages.
Good luck -

Quote:> If I give the "vga=9" argument to LILO, the kernel complains about an
> unsupported video mode and prompts me.  If I then enter "scan" it decides
> that the mode is supported after all and uses it.  This happens with both
> RH6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 and on both of my machines (one modern, one
ancient.)

> Is there a workaround?  I like mode 9 but I don't want to have to do this
> at every bootup.

> Markus

1. 2.2-GAMMA won't work with VGA/EGA card in mono mode

Hi,

I was happily using 2.1.6 on my 486 with a VGA/EGA card running in mono mode
connected to a Green Screen with a 9 pin plug.

But then with all the security probs, and my need to experiment, I upgraded to
2.2-GAMMA.

Now what happens is that it boots, loads the kernel, and just as I would
expect it to start detecting devices the screen goes blank - and I can't see a
thing after that.  It still boots and runs correctly, but I can't see anything
on screen.

If anyone has any suggestions or donations of a VGA monitor, it would be most
appreciated :)

Thanks

Nigel Gorry
Innisfail, Queensland, Australia                       http://www.palms.nq.net

2. fastest current box for linux?

3. pppd 2.2.0f 'make kernel' won't copy files

4. stunnel 4.0 issues

5. lilo.conf won't accept vga=b

6. shell newsgroups

7. Real Player won't work under 2.2.x kernels

8. 1.3.100 and serial driver

9. SMP kernel won't boot on Sparc 1000E, get watchdog (2.2 and 2.4)

10. pppd 2.2.0f won't compile under Kernel 2.0.20

11. kernel 2.2: driver won't fail correctly!!

12. Kernel 2.2.1 & RH5.2 - LILO won't accept the RAM disk image

13. APM & kernel 2.2.x, RedHat: a fix, but lots of questions.