sendmail timedelay

Post by Ken Farme » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Just a question as a newbie.  When I install a stand alone system (although
it has networking installed which I plan to learn later), the boot process
stops at
Starting sendmail: sendmail
for about 3 minutes.  Obviously it is trying to connect with a mail server
or name server or whatever (I guess).  Once it times out the machine
continues to come up normally.

Can anyone clue me in as to what it is looking for?

Ken

sendmail timedelay

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 20 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>  When I install a stand alone system (although
> it has networking installed which I plan to learn later), the boot process
> stops at
> Starting sendmail: sendmail
> for about 3 minutes.

It is looking for your Fully Qualified Domain Name, which you
should put in /etc/hosts.

Cf. http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Tips-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.19 .

--

1. sendmail 8.6.8 and sendmail.cw

As a result of the latest security related postings regarding sendmail,
I've got the sendmail 8.6.8 binary and configuration files (from our local
security group) but I can't find anyone to tell me how to set up
/etc/sendmail.cw for my site. Following the example file, if my machine
were public.x.org, /etc/sendmail.cw would look like:

public.x.org ftp.x.org

My machine, however, has no internet alias. What should be in my
/etc/sendmail.cw?

If you're reading this from comp.mail.sendmail, please respond via e-mail
since this is not one of my regular groups.

2. Library Calls for Quotas

3. sendmail SLOWdown (FBSD 4.1 / Sendmail 8.11.0)

4. How to get started

5. Sendmail routing to UUCP host on OS5.0.4 (sendmail 8.8.5)

6. compiling kernel on Multia

7. AmiVIs+Sendmail+Sophos - Need a little help please with sendmail.cf for ..

8. packages

9. mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

10. AIX 4.1 Sendmail; comp.mail.sendmail

11. sendmail queue delays (Sun sendmail, Solaris2.3, SS10)

12. problem in unstanding sendmail/cf SMTP auth (Solaris 8 Sendmail 8.10) Please Explain

13. mail sendmail sendmail.cf problems