newbie Q: bind & caching

Post by Otavio Ex » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

hi everybody,

I'm about to install bind in my linux box (Debian 1.3); someone told me
that the bind package that debian provides does NOT cache, that an other
package has to be installed to provide caching abilities to bind;

this sounds so strange that I decided do check with you linux gurus..

could someone confirm this? also what's the name of this other package?

thanks & beers,

--

newbie Q: bind & caching

Post by William Lew » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

>I'm about to install bind in my linux box (Debian 1.3); someone told me
>that the bind package that debian provides does NOT cache, that an other
>package has to be installed to provide caching abilities to bind;

I've never run across a version of BIND that doesn't do caching. I'm more
likely to install BIND to cache lookups than to serve actual dns zones.

Even the resolver stuff in libc does caching, as far as I know, although
it only caches within one process. Having a single cache for the
entire host or local network can speed things up a bit.
--

 PGP 0x27F772C1: 0C 0D 10 D5 FC 73 D1 35  26 46 42 9E DC 6E 0A 88

1. Newbie Qs & As

Does anyone know where there might be a web site that has questions for
real newbies? The FAQ's are nice, but sometimes don't have the answers
we need.

For example...

Whenever I set my path statement (export PATH=$PATH:/) I have to do it
every time I login or manually edit the file. It never keeps.

I don't have any of the .files in my system. It's a brand new install,
and all the books that say to edit the .xinitrc or .whatever, I look for
the files and they aren't there.

xscreensaver doesn't work under my root account, and how do I make it
the screensaver of choice under other accounts. Under the root account,
it says...
    xlib:connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to server

it says to check DISPLAY environment, as well as permissions to access
the display, look at the man pages (man X and man xhost) for details.

OK, I did that, but what the hell am I lookin' for??? They don't tell me
that...

I am going to continue to struggle, but some real user FAQs would be
nice.

2. The GIMP solarizes the K Desktop

3. Newbie Linuxer & misc. Qs (LONG!)

4. Paralell Port Backpack CD-ROM

5. chroot && mount -o bind && security

6. Getting Sony Laptop to run Solaris

7. Newbie questions - php & apache - http/dns cache

8. patch bug in yp services

9. BIND 8/9-specific features: Good online reference or buy "DNS & BIND"?

10. buffer cache & page cache

11. More Win95 --> Linux Newbie Qs

12. 3 newbie Qs on partitioning a hard disk

13. Newbie Qs: Kernel patching and ppp auto dialing for no (apparent) reason