Free SOLID Desktop for Linux, Press release

Free SOLID Desktop for Linux, Press release

Post by Zachary Bro » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

The article below was posted to comp.os.linux.announce. While I'm very
happy that this offer is being made, and I join with Linus in applauding
Solid's involvement, I think the Subject line of the post should still
read COMMERCIAL. If it were Solid's intention to release their software
freely on a permanent basis, I would have nothing to say. But since the
offer is only good for a limitted time, after which point we are
encouraged to upgrade to the pay-version, I believe that indicates the
post as definitely of a commercial nature.

If comp.os.linux.announce is only going to use the COMMERCIAL label on
posts that make an immediate request for money, then we may see many
commercial posts masquerading as free offers (not that Solid intended such
a masquerade). I'm sure Solid would agree that they are making a
commercial offer, and would not find the COMMERCIAL label on their subject
line to be a misrepresentation of their motives.

For me, the bottom line is simply this: if comp.os.linux.announce is going
to use the COMMERCIAL label at all, it should include free-trial-period
offers like this one. Solid is making this offer because it hopes to make
money from it, not because it wants to make the software freely
available, and that's the difference.

Zack

|                               PRESS RELEASE 14th March 1997
|
|ROBUST DATABASE FOR ADVANCED LINUX USERS
|
|SOLID DESKTOP FOR LINUX OFFERED FREE OF
|CHARGE TO DEVELOPERS
|
|Solid Information Technology Ltd today announced a campaign
|targeted at the community of Linux developers. Between March
|and September 1997 Linux enthusiasts will be presented with
|a free personal version of the robust SQL database engine
|SOLID Server. Numerous commercial and non-commercial web
|sites are joining Solid Information Technology Ltd in this
|program by letting their web visitors download the free
|SOLID Desktop from their site.
|
|Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, comments on the initiative:
|"This generous offer from Solid is warmly welcomed in the Linux
|community, and I share the enthusiasm of my fellow Linux
|developers around the globe. Solid's campaign manifests the
|mutual benefits commercial and non-commercial groups may have."

|"With this campaign we want to show our appreciation of the

|- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Iko Rein
|Solid Information Technology Ltd
|Huovitie 3, FIN-00400 Helsinki, Finland
|Tel +358 9 477 4730
|Mobile +358 40 5519 358 Fax +358 9 477 47 390

|http://www.solidtech.com

|- --
|This article has been digitally signed by the moderator, using PGP.
|http://www.iki.fi/liw/lars-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating
|ignature.

|PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.
|This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/liw/linux/cola.html

Free SOLID Desktop for Linux, Press release

Post by Marten Micko » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Zachary, and all readers:

I agree with your line of thought. Here is a clarification of our
offering.

We are a commercial company, but the specific license we now offer is
both free of charge and perpetual. You can use it for as long as you
wish at no cost, and we believe many users will do so.

It gets commercial only if you a) upgrade to a multi-user or web engine
license or b) later want to upgrade to later versions of SOLID Server or
c) choose to use SOLID Server on another operating system than Linux
(and we believe many users will opt for these alternatives as well).

We do not mind using the prefix COMMERCIAL in our announcements, but
ANNOUNCE seemed appropriate in this case.

Marten Mickos
Solid Information Technology Ltd

> The article below was posted to comp.os.linux.announce. While I'm very
> happy that this offer is being made, and I join with Linus in applauding
> Solid's involvement, I think the Subject line of the post should still
> read COMMERCIAL. If it were Solid's intention to release their software
> freely on a permanent basis, I would have nothing to say. But since the
> offer is only good for a limitted time, after which point we are
> encouraged to upgrade to the pay-version, I believe that indicates the
> post as definitely of a commercial nature.

<snip>

Free SOLID Desktop for Linux, Press release

Post by Zachary Bro » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Zachary, and all readers:

>I agree with your line of thought. Here is a clarification of our
>offering.

>We are a commercial company, but the specific license we now offer is
>both free of charge and perpetual. You can use it for as long as you
>wish at no cost, and we believe many users will do so.

>It gets commercial only if you a) upgrade to a multi-user or web engine
>license or b) later want to upgrade to later versions of SOLID Server or
>c) choose to use SOLID Server on another operating system than Linux
>(and we believe many users will opt for these alternatives as well).

>We do not mind using the prefix COMMERCIAL in our announcements, but
>ANNOUNCE seemed appropriate in this case.

I'm still not sure you're right about that, although I appreciate your
clarification and your interest in this kind of discussion.

Let me draw an analogy. Suppose the RedHat CD distribution people made
their announcements to comp.os.linux.announce by saying that the
distribution was available for free on FTP sites, and there was also a CD
that people could buy if they felt like it. That is basically the same as
what you wrote in your announcement. If anything, the RedHat example is
even less commercial, because its future upgrades will also be free. And
yet the RedHat example is obviously a commercial post: they want to sell
their CDs.

If the RedHat example is commercial, then yours certainly is, because not
only are future upgrades not free, but the software being offered is
without multi-user or web engine capabilities (features that are only
added through the exchange of money). The only difference between this and
Shareware (or crippleware, as the disabling of features is sometimes
called) is that the initial item you are offering does not have an
expiration date. But I don't believe that is enough to qualify as free
software.

I would encourage you to go just one step further in your participation
with the Linux philosophy: several software companies are now initiating a
policy of releasing their software for free on Linux systems (though
commercially for others). For a fundamentally commercial company, I
believe there is no truer affirmation of the values of Linux, and no truer
participation in the community formed by Linus Torvalds, the Free Software
Foundation, and the thousands (perhaps millions) of independent developers
and users that have made Linux what it is.

Again, I thank you for your comments and your interest.

Be well,

Zack